Tips That Will Give You Amazing Results!
General Substitution Tips for Food Allergy Recipes
- Figure out how much of a role your particular allergen plays in your recipe.
- A replacement that may work in one recipe may not work well in another. Keep notes on what works well in each recipe.
- Some recipes will produce a close-to-perfect match when made with substitutions. Others may lend a very different look and feel to the original recipe. Substituting ingredients is often about trial-and-error. Be ready for mishaps at times.
- Always make sure ALL ingredients are at room temp., especially eggs and flours.
- When making gluten free quick breads and rising yeast breads, use a heavy metal pan for best results. Also, always make sure the center of the bread is at least 205 degrees.
- Always sift your gluten free flour for lighter results.
- Spoon flour into measurement cups instead of using measurement cup to scoop the flour.
- Soak dried fruits (raisins, cranberries,etc.) in water for 30 minutes and drain well before using in baking. This way they will not draw moisture from the baked goods.
Egg Substitution Tips
- Replacing more than two eggs in a recipe will change the integrity of the recipe. For recipes that call for a lot of eggs (i.e. a quiche), use pureed silken tofu or Ener-G egg replacer. Because egg substitutions add moisture, you may have to increase baking times slightly.
- Pound cakes, sponge cakes, and angelfood cakes (desserts with high egg content) do not turn out well in egg-free cooking.
Dairy Substitution Tips
- Be careful if using soy replacement for milk-based ingredients. Sometimes, those sensitive to milk are also sensitive to soy.
- Use caution: some brands/varieties of soy-based products contain the milk protein and are manufactured on equipment shared with dairy. This is common in soy-based cheeses (check labels).
- Look for the Kosher Dairy symbol on products. Use this as a general guide to direct you towards dairy-free products. But please still read ALL ingredients.
- To reduce fat in a recipe, you can substitute out 6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce + 2 Tbsp of your butter substitute choice for every 8 Tbsp Butter.
Good Gluten-Free Flour Mixes