Gluten-Free Strawberry Streusel Oatmeal Cake
Easter morning is always busy around our house. The Easter bunny still has some creative energy left in his egg-hiding skills and the kids are up and at ’em very early around here that morning to see if that darn bunny is going to outsmart them this time.
All that activity never leaves much time to spend whipping up anything too fancy for breakfast.
So… what I love to do is to throw together one of my favorite make-ahead Brunch Recipes the night before. Then, all I have to do in the morning is turn on my oven and throw it in. I can cut up some fresh fruit and serve it along side the cake and all of those hard-boiled eggs we’ve so carefully decorated. And boom. Easter brunch is done.
The kids love love looove this cake because it tastes so decadent. I love love love it because it really isn’t. Plus, it is packed with healthy goodness that you can feel good about the family eating… especially when they’re going to be hopped up on all of that Easter candy.
This special breakfast cake is subtly infused with fresh flavors of strawberries. It is simple enough for the kids to help assemble the night before, up to the point of baking it. In the morning, just pop it in the oven and you will have a beautiful cake for your table. I originally created this recipe because I wanted something that would impress my guests without all of the fuss in the morning. This has become one of my most requested breakfast recipes and is loved by the kids and adults in our family.
Strawberry Streusel Oatmeal Cake
Diet Type: Gluten-Free, Dairy Free
Serves: 8 – 10
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup organic cold-pressed coconut oil, measured in liquid form
- 3/4 cup organic coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk or dairy milk of choice
- 2 large eggs-preferably organic
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoons ground chia seeds (or flax meal)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry preserves
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, measured in liquid form (or softened butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup Gluten Free Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1/3 cup rolled Gluten-free Oats
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry preserves
1. Lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan or a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan. Then cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into just the bottom of your pan, without allowing it to go up the sides. Set prepared pan aside.
2. In medium bowl, using stand or hand mixer, mix together: coconut oil and organic coconut palm (or brown) sugar until well blended. Add coconut milk (or dairy milk of choice), eggs, and vanilla and mix again until just blended.
3. In separate large bowl, sift together: gluten-free oats, sea salt, baking powder, and ground chia (or flax) seed.
4. With mixer on slow speed: gently add in oats mixture and mix for 1 minute until blended. Then stir in diced strawberries and preserves gently by hand. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. In small bowl mix together the coconut oil, coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar), the Crispy Rice Cereal, the additional 1/3 cup oats, and the additional strawberry preserves for the topping and set aside until morning.
6. In morning: preheat oven to 350. Remove unbaked cake from the refrigerator and place on counter to bring to room temp (about 20 minutes). Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over cake and bake for about 25 minutes, or until feels slightly firm to touch. Serve with vanilla yogurt and top with fresh strawberries, or eat just as is.
Menu ideas: This Cake would also be perfect served with a Spring Vegetable Frittata or Quiche and a Big Bowl of Fresh Berries.
And stay tuned because next week I have a more savory make-ahead brunch recipe coming for you.
This post is linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays!