The season has officially shifted and it is time for a little Spring baking….and these Gluten-free, Dairy-free Lemon-Berry Muffins fit the bill perfectly and are just right for an Allergy-Free Easter Brunch.
I promise I won’t brag about our weather here the last couple of weeks considering I know a lot of you are still shivering in other parts of the country (and world)…
I’ll just mention that I may have already pulled out the flip flop collection from the back of my closet…although I probably have NO business doing so considering I have not done anything pretty with my toes in months.
Anyway, with this warmer weather (that I promise am not talking about), I’m craving some flavors of Spring right now after our long winter…and since citrus and berries go perfectly with the warmer weather, I am all about using them in my baking these days.
These Lemon-Berry Muffins are a hit in this house and my boys can put quite a few of these down at one time. The bonus is that they are full of healthy ingredients and will not give that sugar spike that a lot of baked goods can give.
And with Easter sneaking up on us, these muffins would be a great treat for your Allergy-Free Easter brunch!
I will probably be serving them up along with one of our other favorite brunch treats:
- Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Apple Puff Pancake
- Gluten-Free Kringle Danish Pastry
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Waffles
NOW. Let’s add some Spring in your step and make some muffins!
Springtime Lemon-Berry Muffins
Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free – Easily Egg-Free & Nut-Free
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour (For Nut Free: Use 1 1/2 cups of your favorite Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend)
- 1 cup Superfine Brown Rice Flour
- ½ cup Teff Flour OR Certified Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ¼ cup Arrowroot Starch
- 2 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 ¼ cups Plain Yogurt (Non-Dairy or Dairy Version – I use SO Delicious Plain Coconut Yogurt)
- ½ cup Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil (measured in liquid form)
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp Raw unfiltered Honey, preferably organic
- ¼ cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest (freshly zested/grated – yellow part only)
- 2 Large Eggs, separated (For Egg-Free: use 2 Tbsp Ground Chia Seeds Mixed with ½ cup HOT water – allow to sit until gelled before using)
- 1 cup Fresh Berries – such as blueberries or diced strawberries
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners, or grease openings.
2. In medium bowl, whisk/mix together Almond Flour, Superfine Brown Rice Flour, Teff (or Oat) Flour, and Arrowroot Starch until light and airy. Add in Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Sea Salt –whisk until blended and mixture feels light.
3. In large bowl, beat together Yogurt, Coconut Oil (or melted Butter or Earth Balance), Honey, Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, Vanilla, Lemon Zest, and Egg yolks (or Chia Gel mixture).
4. Slowly mix dry mix into blended wet ingredients. Gently mix together until just blended. Do not overmix. Then fold in berries gently.
5. (Omit this step if using Egg Replacer): In separate small bowl, beat egg whites until fairly stiff peaks form. Then very gently fold whites into assembled muffin batter until just incorporated.
6. Fill muffin wells 2/3 full. Bake in oven for 17-19 minutes, or toothpick comes out clean from center. Makes 16 muffins. Enjoy!
This post is linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
Have you pulled out YOUR Flip Flops Yet?
Kim Maes, CNC, AADP, known as the Allergy Free Food Coach, is a Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant and Certified in the Practical Application of Food Allergy Guidelines.. She is also the creator of the Cook It Allergy Free iPhone and iPad Apps and the Cook It Allergy Free website, where she shares her passion for teaching others how easy and delicious it can be to eat whole, pure allergy-friendly meals that the entire family will enjoy.