Time for a Spring Picnic and a Recipe for Allergy-Friendly Lemon Herb Rice Salad
You may (or, quite possibly, may not) have noticed that it has been a while since I posted last.
I do have a couple of reasons why … one is because of a little surprise I have been busy working on. I’m just about ready to share it with you in a couple of weeks (and with it will come one HECK of a cool giveaway)…but you’ll have to be patient until then.
The other is because I was on the committee for the Silent Auction at my son’s school and it consumed most of my waking hours these last couple of weeks. I do just have to share though (okay, maybe even brag a little) that we ROCKED the auction and brought in an amazing amount of money for the school!
Now that I have a couple of my biggest projects behind me, and now that we are starting to see some first hints of Spring around here, I am ready to relax and enjoy some much needed play-time with my family.
Weirdly enough, I have been dreaming of having a picnic lately. I don’t even know why. Probably because we have been bundled up all winter long. And now that it is finally warming up, the thought of spending a sunny afternoon napping on a big fluffy blanket in the grass while the kids frolick around sounds heavenly about now.
Okay, so my kids don’t really ever just frolick. They are two active boys. Wrestle is a much better term to describe what they do. And all of that wrestling usually leads to someone in tears. Which then leads to mom having to get involved. Which then means that that nap on that big fluffy blanket probably won’t happen. But…a mom can dream, right?
Aside from the lack of nap in this daydream, that picnic still sounds wonderful.
And my favorite thing to do for picnics is to pack up a meal that is sort of an all-in-one main-dish recipe so that we do not need to tote along a gazillion different food containers.
This Allergy-Friendly Lemon-Herb Rice Salad with Roasted Shrimp is just the perfect recipe for something like this. It has such a refreshing flavor from the Lemon-Citrus Vinaigrette. And it is so simple to throw together and pack up for a picnic. The best part is that it can be made a day in advance to make picnic prep easy and is a hit with the kids and adults.
Lemon-Herb Rice Salad with Roasted Shrimp
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Corn-free
Serves 6 – 8
- 2 cups Brown Basmati or Jasmine Rice
- 2 pounds (16-18 count) Shrimp, thawed, peeled, and de-veined (For Shellfish Free: use Roasted Chicken)
- 1Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ½ cup Red Onion, finely minced
- ½ cup Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Roasted Pine Nuts (For Nut-free: Omit or use Roasted Pepitas)
- ¾ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
For the dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice, about half a lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare rice on stovetop according to package directions. To add more flavor to rice, you can use vegetable or chicken broth in place of water.
2. While rice is cooking, place shrimp on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with Garlic Salt, and Salt and Pepper to taste. Toss to combine and spread out in single layer on sheet. Roast for 6-8 minutes.
3. Once rice and shrimp are done, add to serving bowl then gently mix in Red Onion, Basil, Cilantro, Pine Nuts, Salt and Pepper. Whisk together all dressing ingredients and pour half of the dressing over the rice mixture. Taste for seasonings. Add more dressing to taste, but do not over-dress.
Note: Can be made up to one day in advance. Packs up and travels nicely.