Jan
2013

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe – The Hands Down Winner!

Best Ever Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe

This Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe was begging to be made.

Why?

Because we had our first official cold snap that lasted longer than 3 days last weekend. And isn’t that just as good a reason as any?

We are seriously wimps here in Scottsdale, AZ. And while it was in the low 20’s for quite a few days, I do have to remind myself to quit complaining when I think about the rest of you who are enduring below zero temps.

But like I said…we admit it. We. Are. Wimps. And apparently so are my tomato and pepper plants. While I tucked all of my veggies in the garden in like little babies to try and protect them, those beautiful peppers and all  of my tomatoes took a beating and just could not hang with those below freezing temps. Boo.

Anyway, to pass the time while I was mourning their loss, I decided to do some baking and indulge the boys.

Because, after all, if we can’t eat our veggies we might as well eat cinnamon rolls. That must be a saying somewhere. Right?

Plus, like I mentioned before…these babies were begging to be made.

And because I made my Gluten-Free Kringle Recipe this year for Christmas morning instead of my usual Best Ever Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls (okay, perhaps I am slightly biased), I thought it would be fun to whip up a batch of those sweet rolls.

And just for the record, it shocks me every time how quickly a treat like this can disappear from my boy’s plates.

However, the day that their brussel sprouts get devoured just as quickly as these Cinnamon Rolls is when I will know I have done my job right. ;)

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Rolls

Easily Dairy-Free

• 2/3 cup Milk (or Coconut Milk), warmed to 110 degrees-but DO NOT let boil
  • 1 packet of  Yeast** (or about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Butter (or Coconut Oil)
  • 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 large Egg (or can use 1 Tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 Tbsp HOT water – letting sit for a few minutes to gel)
  • 1/4 cup Potato Starch
  • 3/4 cup Arrowroot Starch
  • 1/2 cup Millet (can also use 1/2 cup buckwheat or 1/2 cup super fine brown rice flour)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons Guar Gum
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt

Filling:

• 1 cup Brown Sugar (or Coconut Sugar), packed
  • 3 tablespoons Cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup Butter, softened (or 1/3 cup Coconut Oil)
  • 1/2 cup Raisins, or more to taste

Icing:

• 4 tablespoons Butter (or Coconut Oil)
  • 1 cup Powdered Sugar (Corn-free)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 tablespoons Milk (or any dairy-free alternative), or less, to reach desired consistency

**Note: make sure your yeast is active.  If no bubbles/foam form after 5-10 min when mixed with the warm milk., throw out and start with new yeast

1.  Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl of mixer and let sit for 5-10 minutes (checking for bubbles/foam for active yeast). Then add the sugar, butter, oil, and vanilla to this yeast mixture, stirring to combine.  Then add egg (or substitute) and whisk again to combine.

2.  In medium bowl, sift/whisk together potato starch, arrowroot starch, millet, baking soda, guar gum, baking powder, and salt.  Then slowly add flour mixture to active yeast/milk mixture in the mixing bowl and mix slowly to combine. Dough will seem sticky (this is right).

3.  Place dough in a greased bowl and put in warm place to rise for about an hour.

4.  After dough has been allowed to rise, place a piece of plastic wrap (about 14×14 inches) on counter sprinkled with sugar and a little oil and then place dough on top, then another equal sized piece of plastic wrap on top and roll out dough until about 1/4 in thick.  Remove top piece of plastic, then spread softened butter (or coconut oil) on top of dough. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins and sprinkle evenly over butter/oil, leaving a 2 in. edge free of the filling so it won’t squeeze out when rolling.

5.  Using the bottom piece of plastic wrap, lift the dough and begin to rolling into a log, without squeezing too tightly.  Once rolled, to slice it, take a 12 inch piece of dental floss and slide it under the roll.  Bring ends up and and holding ends above roll, cross them over as if you are about to tie them.  Pull tight and you will have a perfect cut.  Repeat 7 more times to slice the log into 8 pieces.  Dental floss cuts perfectly without squeezing out your filling.  Place rolls into greased 9 inch round cake pan.

6.  Okay, here is a trick. You can make these the night before up until the end of step 5.  Then put them in the fridge covered with plastic wrap until the next morning.  In morning, bring them to room temp for about 30 minutes and then cook in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 22 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned.

7.  While rolls are baking, mix together all icing ingredients with hand mixer until reach desired consistency.  When rolls are ready, allow to cool for a few minutes, then drizzle with the icing.  Enjoy.

1. On January 23, 2013 Laurel said

Drooling here.

2. On January 23, 2013 Cara said

I live in New England and I can’t deal with 20’s, so you are not alone :) I had no idea it could get that cold in AZ though! Hope it’s warmed up again – or at least that you feel warmer with one of these yummy cinnamon rolls in your bellies :)

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Glad to hear that even you east-coasters can’t deal with those cold temps. ;) We usually get teens and twenties at night during the winter here, but when it lasts throughout the day I am a total wimp. Cinnamon rolls made everyone a lot happier around here though. I just had to get creative with my workouts inside to burn them off. LOL

3. On January 23, 2013 Alisa Fisher said

You are going to make me a hero with the men in my family. Does it get better than cinnamon rolls?

4. On January 23, 2013 Maggie said

I’ll take your cold snap and your cinnamon rolls please :)

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, you probably laughed at how wimpy we are here compared to the cold weather you probably get up where you are. ;) But Cinnamon Rolls (even if they are naughtier than what we normally eat) can make it all better. LOL

5. On January 23, 2013 Shirley @ gfe said

Oh, how fabulous these cinnamon rolls are, Kim! You are becoming the queen of gluten-free pastries, my dear! And be glad you are not here tonight. It’s just too chilly … the woodstove is working overtime!

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Haha. Shirley, I am merely trying to follow in my mom’s shoes…in a gluten free way. She could whip up any pastry at the drop of a hat. ;) And, by the way, I bet it is even colder where you are. You are probably laughing at me with how wimpy I am. LOL

6. On January 24, 2013 Melissa said

Wow, these look like the real thing. Gorgeous. No wonder you didn’t mourn your frozen veggies very long. I’ve never in my life made cinnamon rolls. I guess it’s time I did!
    Melissa
    PS Brussels sprouts or cinnamon rolls? I love Brussels, but seriously? Pass the cinnamon rolls, please.

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Melissa, you are too funny. However, I don’t believe you. Knowing you, I really think you would pick the brussels first. LOL
      XO

7. On January 24, 2013 Diane Eblin-thewhole said

Sorry to hear about those veggies that froze. Gardening takes so much work and then cooperation from mother nature.

Everyone here in SOCAL are wimps too. It got down to 45 and you would like it was 0 here too. I feel bad for those really in those low temps, even your 20. Not missing that.

But I’m going to declare it cold enough to make these babies. Maybe for the Super Bowl party so I have others to share them with. I can’t possibly be trusted with them all to myself. :-)

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Diane, that is so true. People in SOCAL are wimps as well (even though I am not one to talk). We have been there when they were having a cold snap and we actually thought it was warm compared to our dry wimter temps.
      And yup. Gardening does take a lot of work. Good thing my husband is so patient. He picks up when I get to frustrated. LOL

8. On January 27, 2013 Alisa said

These look amazing Kim! Though I would eat the brussels sprouts just as quickly :)

• On January 28, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Yup. I figured you would eat the brussels sprouts just as fast… I probably would too most of the time. ;)

9. On January 29, 2013 Wayne said

Hey Ladies,
    Just picked up the recipe. Gona try it right away. But, didn’t you know Cinnamon Rolls go very well in the tropics, toooo. Here in Georgia we eat ‘um 3 meals a day if we can.

LOL

1. On September 20, 2013 15 Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls Recipes said

[...] 7. Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Rolls [...]

2. […] Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls […]

3. […] The Best Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe: Hands Down Winner … – This Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe was begging to be made. Why? Because we had our first official cold snap that lasted longer than 3 days last weekend. … Food Allergies; Gluten Free; Party Kit; Recipe App; About; Contact © 2011 Cook It Allergy Free. […]