Dec

Two Perfect Homemade Holiday Gift Ideas – Hint: You Don’t Eat These

Perfect Homemade Gift Ideas: Recipes for Organic Lip Gloss and Organic Coconut Sugar Scrub

2 perfect Homemade Holiday Gift Ideas: Homemade Organic Lip Gloss AND Homemade Coconut-Vanilla Sugar Scrub

It has been really interesting to watch my husband evolve through several different stages of appreciating my more holistic and natural ways of living. And in the beginning, “appreciation” would not be what it was at all.

Years ago, he would literally blush with embarrassment if I started any of my hippie talk (his explanation of it back then) in public.

After a while, I noticed that his blush had died down to a barely noticeable tinge and he no longer went into immediate “change-the-topic-of- conversation” mode.

About a year ago, my jaw actually dropped in public and it was my turn to blush when he actually brought up some topics that were very important to me, on his own, and argued/discussed the points beautifully!

Fast forward to today when I caught him, at his own free will, making my special oven cleaner recipe, and then scrubbing my oven, and then his grill, and then his tools with it.

I said to him…”You know honey, this could just push you to the other side. Are you ready to join me in Hippie-ville?

His answer? “Only if you don’t tell anyone.

I replied…Of course, honey. Your secret is safe with me.;)

And just the other day, as I was making this very lip gloss, he said to me, “I used to make fun of people like you who would make their own deodorants… lip gloss… body scrubs… household cleaners. And now I am married to one. Who would have guessed?

Karma. You know what they say about it.

And when I kissed him the other night, his lips did feel exceptionally smooth and had just a hint of that Citrus-Vanilla scent. Looks like someone has been dipping into the homemade gloss.

Speaking of that lip gloss… It really is the easiest little homemade holiday gift (although the Sugar Scrub below is even easier). It takes only about ten minutes to make and you can scent it however you choose.

I got my little tins at my local Hobby store and I ordered all of my products online. The Recipe below will fill about 6 containers.

Homemade Organic Lip Gloss

Homemade Organic Citrus-Vanilla Lip Gloss

Ingredients:

1. Place Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, and Shea Butter in small heat-proof glass bowl. Place bowl in a sauce pan on the stove of a few inches of simmering water.

2. Keep stirring until all ingredients are melted (about ten minutes). The beeswax will likely take the longest to melt. Be patient.

3. Once all melted, remove from heat and squeeze out the oil from the Vitamin E capsules into the mixture. Then add your Essential Oil drops.  Pour into your containers and refrigerate until firm (you do not need to store in refrigerator – just set to firm).

4. Your gifts are ready. You can label or decorate as you choose.

And this Coconut-Vanilla Sugar Scrub is even easier. Trust me. And your friends will love it. It is one of my favorite products to keep in my shower all year long. It keeps your skin silky smooth and so hydrated. My feet love this stuff!

Apparently, so does my 5 year old. I caught him with a mouth full of it in the shower the other day. I would NOT recommend this.

Homemade Coconut Sugar Scrub

Homemade Organic Coconut Citrus-Vanilla Sugar Scrub

Ingredients:

• 2 Cups Organic Granulated Sugar
  • 1 Cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted
  • 20-30 Drops Essential Oil (I used half Sweet Orange and half Vanilla)

1.  Pour Sugar and Coconut oil in a bowl and stir until well-combined. Add your essential oil, stir again.  Spoon into your containers.  Your gifts are ready to deliver to your friends and family.

Have fun with these recipes…and may you be kissable, soft, and chemical-free from your pretty lips down to your callous-free feet!

Oh. And for another holiday gift idea (this time an edible one), go check out my Maple Spice Cookie Recipe today over on The Balanced Platter!

Are you giving any Homemade Gifts this year?

1. On December 13, 2012 glutenfreeforgood said

Kim,

Well, I’m an original hippie girl from the 60s, so all of this “natural products” stuff really resonates with me. I’ve been making various versions of scrubs and lip potions since my free-spirited, vegetarian, cabin-life days in Taos. =) Having said that, I’ve never used beeswax pellets, so you’ve got one on me there! I’ll be adding that to my healthy living arsenal. Thanks for the inspiration.

PS Your photos are stunning!

Melissa
    Hippie-ville USA

• On December 13, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Well, Melissa, my friend! I am so glad to be joining you in Hippie-ville USA!! I am not surprised in the least that you have been doing this for years! ;D My Mom used to do a lot of homemade products too when I was growing up so it always seemed normal to me to begin with. LOL

Oh, and beeswax pellets are just easier to work with than the larger beeswax blocks. Same thing though as the blocks…just smaller pieces of it. ;)

2. On December 13, 2012 Diane Eblin- thewhol said

Just checking, do you have my address? I love these. What a great idea. I’d love to make these for my family who already has everything they want, but not necessarily what they need. These will be great for their body!

• On December 13, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Diane, I am even giving my family homemade deodorant this year. I have this recipe that I make that is a total miracle. It works like a charm…better than any other deodorant I have ever bought before. I love giving homemade gifts!! :D

3. On December 13, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

I’m with Melissa on not knowing about beeswax pellets. Intrigued! I have beeswax cubes (made in an ice curbe tray, of course) that were made from our own bees’ wax though. No kidding.

Big LOL on the hubby going over to Hippie-ville! I admit that I get very amused when I hear hubby preaching some of the Hippie-ville gospel to others. It doesn’t happen often, but just enough to keep me smiling. ;-)

Awesome gift ideas, Kim! xoxo,

• On December 13, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, the beeswax is just regular beeswax in smaller pieces so that it is easier to work with. I have bought big hunks of it before and it is sort of a pain to get the amounts of what I need off of the blocks.

LOL! I love that Mr GFE hangs out in hippie-ville now and again too! It is fun to see that side of them emerge now and again, isn’t it? ;)

4. On December 13, 2012 Maggie said

These are awesome gift ideas Kim! I’m happy to be in hippie world with you :) I made scrubs last year for some of my lovelies! I want to do it again, this time I’m trying your recipe! xo

• On December 13, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Yay, Maggie! So glad to be hanging out in hippie-ville with you. I love it here, don’t you? :D xo

5. On December 14, 2012 Alisa said

I used to make gifts like this for friends – I need to get back into it!

Funny how those men always migrate over to our side eventually, isn’t it?

• On December 14, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

I love that we have “converted” them. It is just nice to know that my husband does not look at me like I am just this side of crazy anymore. LOL

6. On December 17, 2012 Anne said

That is interesting and cant wait to make one…. where can I get Beewax pellets? Thanks.

7. On December 23, 2012 Maggie said

Hi Kim – I just made my scrub :) Soooo easy and it felt so good to make this for some lovelies in my life. I used all orange essential oil, but next time I will buy some vanilla essential oil to use too. Thanks for a fab recipe.
    Merry Christmas lovely! xo

8. On December 27, 2012 Peggy said

Hi..i love this and the presentation is terrific :) What size jars are you using and also where did you get the spoons? Thank you again..I can’t wait to try this.

9. On December 31, 2012 Gratefulfoodie said

I learned about this site from Alisa Fleming and just dropped by. I’m feeling deprived that I haven’t visited sooner. Too bad I found these recipes post Christmas…but we all know what I’m giving for birthdays now.

Two things: one, I grew up next to Berkeley and now live in Reno and am happy to have found some homies in Hippie Ville! Second, can I get that deodorant recipe. Let’s face peri-menopause is not bringing me sunshine everyday.

So, happy I’ve landed here!
    Caroline

• On January 4, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Caroline! So glad you came by. I grew up in SF amongst many hippies but now in Scottsdale, AZ it has taken me a while to find some fellow ones here…but never fear…I have sought them out. ;)
      The deodorant recipe I use is from my friend Lexie over at Lexie’s Kitchen. Here is the link. http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2010/12/12/a-sweet-gift-for-smelly-friends.html
      The essential oil that I use is Thieves Oil (Essential Living) because I think that it works the best out of the ones I have tried (it smells a bit like cloves).
      Have fun…everyone that has tried this recipe LOVES it… including Alisa! ;)
      Happy New Year!

10. On March 4, 2013 Clarissa said

for the lip gloss, can I use only Shea butter? I don’t have both on hand, what do you think will happen if I don’t use cocoa? Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to making it. :)

• On March 5, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Clarissa, you can totally just use the Shea Butter. It should turn out just fine. The last time I made a batch I was just about out of Cocoa Butter, so there was barely any in there and it turned out pretty similar to the original recipe. Good luck. ;)