2 perfect Homemade Holiday Gift Ideas: Homemade Organic Lip Gloss AND Homemade Coconut-Vanilla Sugar Scrub
It has been really interesting to watch my husband evolve through several different stages of appreciating my more holistic and natural ways of living. And in the beginning, “appreciation” would not be what it was at all.
Years ago, he would literally blush with embarrassment if I started any of my “hippie“ talk (his explanation of it back then) in public.
After a while, I noticed that his blush had died down to a barely noticeable tinge and he no longer went into immediate “change-the-topic-of- conversation” mode.
About a year ago, my jaw actually dropped in public and it was my turn to blush when he actually brought up some topics that were very important to me, on his own, and
argued/discussed the points beautifully!
Fast forward to today when I caught him, at his own free will, making my special oven cleaner recipe, and then scrubbing my oven, and then his grill, and then his tools with it.
I said to him…”You know honey, this could just push you to the other side. Are you ready to join me in Hippie-ville?”
His answer? “Only if you don’t tell anyone.”
I replied…“Of course, honey. Your secret is safe with me.”
And just the other day, as I was making this very lip gloss, he said to me, “I used to make fun of people like you who would make their own deodorants… lip gloss… body scrubs… household cleaners. And now I am married to one. Who would have guessed?”
Karma. You know what they say about it.
And when I kissed him the other night, his lips did feel exceptionally smooth and had just a hint of that Citrus-Vanilla scent. Looks like someone has been dipping into the homemade gloss.
Speaking of that lip gloss… It really is the easiest little homemade holiday gift (although the Sugar Scrub below is even easier). It takes only about ten minutes to make and you can scent it however you choose.
I got my little tins at my local Hobby store and I ordered all of my products online. The Recipe below will fill about 6 containers.
Homemade Organic Citrus-Vanilla Lip Gloss
- 2 Tbsp Beeswax Pellets
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Butter
- 1 Tbsp Shea Butter
- 3 Vitamin E Capsules
- 10-15 Drops Essential Oil scent of Choice (I used half Sweet Orange and half Vanilla)
1. Place Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, and Shea Butter in small heat-proof glass bowl. Place bowl in a sauce pan on the stove of a few inches of simmering water.
2. Keep stirring until all ingredients are melted (about ten minutes). The beeswax will likely take the longest to melt. Be patient.
3. Once all melted, remove from heat and squeeze out the oil from the Vitamin E capsules into the mixture. Then add your Essential Oil drops. Pour into your containers and refrigerate until firm (you do not need to store in refrigerator – just set to firm).
4. Your gifts are ready. You can label or decorate as you choose.
And this Coconut-Vanilla Sugar Scrub is even easier. Trust me. And your friends will love it. It is one of my favorite products to keep in my shower all year long. It keeps your skin silky smooth and so hydrated. My feet love this stuff!
Apparently, so does my 5 year old. I caught him with a mouth full of it in the shower the other day. I would NOT recommend this.
Homemade Organic Coconut Citrus-Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- 2 Cups Organic Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 20-30 Drops Essential Oil (I used half Sweet Orange and half Vanilla)
1. Pour Sugar and Coconut oil in a bowl and stir until well-combined. Add your essential oil, stir again. Spoon into your containers. Your gifts are ready to deliver to your friends and family.
Have fun with these recipes…and may you be kissable, soft, and chemical-free from your pretty lips down to your callous-free feet!
Oh. And for another holiday gift idea (this time an edible one), go check out my Maple Spice Cookie Recipe today over on The Balanced Platter!
Are you giving any Homemade Gifts this year?
Kim Maes, CNC, AADP, known as the Allergy Free Food Coach, is a Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant and Certified in the Practical Application of Food Allergy Guidelines.. She is also the creator of the Cook It Allergy Free iPhone and iPad Apps and the Cook It Allergy Free website, where she shares her passion for teaching others how easy and delicious it can be to eat whole, pure allergy-friendly meals that the entire family will enjoy.