Few Ingredients. Simple. Elegant.
Those are all of the things I look for when I am entertaining and need a good appetizer to serve up. I am not one to spend too much time on what comes before the big meal. So, over the years I have defaulted to a few favorite simple hors d’oeuvres that are simple to whip up but still look fairly fancy-shmancy.
These two Appetizers are a couple of my favorite to serve up and are perfect because you can make the bulk of them ahead of time:
- Pear and Arugula Stuffed Prosciutto Cups with a Balsamic Drizzle
- Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Chopped Pistachios and Chives
They are also naturally gluten-free AND dairy-free AND egg-free AND soy-free AND easily nut-free. So…basically perfect for any of those guests (or family members) with food sensitivities.
And…I just happen to be sharing these recipes today as part of our Gluten-Free Holiday Progressive Dinner hosted by Daily Bites.
Each day a different blogger is serving up a different course of a wonderful Gluten-free and Dairy-free Holiday Meal. Each day there will be a new GIVEAWAY hosted at each blog as well.
Hint: My giveaway is below. Do NOT miss out on your chance to win!
Here is the schedule (updated with links as the posts are up):
- Monday, December 10th – Edible Gift – Daily Bites
- Tuesday, December 11th – Appetizers – Me: Simple Gluten-Free Appetizers (Recipes Below)
- Wednesday, December 12th -Side Dishes: Garlic Roasted Mushrooms – Tasty Eats at Home
- Thursday, December 13th -Main Dishes:Vegan Veggie Pot Pie – She Let Them Eat Cake
- Friday, December 14th – Desserts – Diet, Desserts, and Dogs
And now for these 4-Ingredient Simple Gluten-Free Appetizers.
Pear and Arugula Stuffed Prosciutto Cups
- 1 3-oz Prosciutto Package
- 1 Cup Fresh Arugula, chopped
- 1 Pear, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fig Balsamic Vinegar, or good quality Regular Balsamic
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Separate Prosciutto slices and cut each slice into quarters so that each cut piece is now about 1 inch wide by 3 inches long.
2. Take a mini muffin pan and press 2 slices, criss-crossed over each other, inside each opening, to form a cup. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes – they will crisp up as they cool – then remove from pan and fill each with 1 Tbsp chopped pears then top with about 1 Tbsp chopped arugula.
3. Drizzle about 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of Balsamic vinegar over each cup. Serve and enjoy.
Optional: these are also wonderful topped with a small dollop of goat cheese if you or your guests are not dairy-free.
And now for Recipe Number 2:
Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Pistachios and Chives
- 30 – 40 Medjool or Deglet Dates
- 8 – 10 slices Bacon, each cut into 4 pieces, width-wise
- 1/4 Cup Pistachios, Shelled and Chopped Coursely
- 2 Tbsp Chives, Chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper.
2. Make a small slice in each date to remove pit. Fill space where pit was with chopped pistachios.
3. Lay cut bacon piece on work surface, sprinkle some chives on top of it, then place date in center and roll bacon around date. Place bacon-wrapped date seam side down on parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dates and bacon pieces.
4. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until bacon is nicely crisp. Let cool for about 10 minutes and place on serving platter and top with some chopped pistachios and chives for garnish.
Optional: These are also very good stuffed with a small dollop of goat cheese as well if you or your guests are not dairy-free.
UPDATE: The winner had been notified by email and this contest is now CLOSED.
And now for the GIVEAWAY!
I am giving away one copy of Small Plates & Sweet Treats, by Aran Goyoaga. To enter simply do one, two, or all three of the following. Just make sure to leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each one that you do so you earn a separate entry for each:
1. Tell me what intrigues you about this cookbook!
2. Follow Cook It Allergy Free on Facebook, or leave a comment telling me if you already do.
3. Share this post with your friends on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook or other social media and leave an additional comment saying you did so. Help spread the word about this great new cookbook!
The contest will end on Tuesday, December 18th at 9am PST. The winners will be announced then. You must be at least 18 years old to enter.