Okay. I know most of you already get that I have an obsession with Apple Cider Vinegar and all of it’s health benefits that go along with it.
I also know that many of you have started to hail all of the Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar as well as you have started to find ways to incorporate into your diets. I know this because I get a lot of emails from you all proclaiming your love of it.
BUT…I also get a lot of requests as to how to get your kids to sing these praises too…or really, just even drink the stuff.
I have a trick for you today. I swear it works every time. If it doesn’t work for you….well, then I promise I will owe you big time and will do something really really nice for you.
As much as I like doing nice things for you, I am really hoping that I do not have to follow through with that promise. I have not quite thought out what I would do for you yet…
So, here is my magic secret. It is a big one. And now that it is almost winter, it makes waaaay too much sense. Are ya ready?
1. Warm up some Apple Cider (or Apple Juice) in a small saucepan on the stove top (preferably unfiltered and organic).
2. Add some mulling spices wrapped in some cheesecloth, or a teabag, or a teaball. I have my simple recipe to make your own Mulling Spices listed below.
3. Let the Cider Mingle with those Mulling Spices for a bit on a low simmer.
4. Ladle into child’s favorite mug and let sit to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
5. When certain that your child is not looking, add a splash of about 1/2 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to the mug. Stir.
6. Deliver your special treat to your child. The Apple Cider Vinegar should not be detectable in that Mulled Cider. And they should happily sip their cider away…along with all of those health benefits of the Apple Cider Vinegar too.
7. Once the mug is empty, you can uncross those fingers.
Okay. Maybe this secret is not all that big. And maybe your kids do not even like Warm Spiced Apple Cider. And maybe you are thinking this is a really silly idea.
But, if you think it is worth a try, then give the above steps a go. And better yet, see below on how to make your own mulling spices. It is SO SO easy to make your own. And… if you make them in cute little spice bags and wrap them with a fun ribbon, you can even give them as a thoughtful homemade holiday gift as well!
How to Make Your Own Mulling Spices
8 – 10 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
2 teaspoon Whole Cloves
2 teaspoon Whole Allspice Berries
Orange Peel from one orange, cut into small pieces
4 tea bags or squares of cheese cloth
Twine for tying bags
1. Place cinnamon sticks on cutting board. Using the bottom of heavy pan or a mallet, hit sticks to break up into smaller pieces. Place pieces in small bowl.
2. Mix remaining ingredients with cinnamon pieces. Divide mixture between 4 teabags (or cheesecloth). Tie each with twine.
3. Use one spice bag per 1 gallon of simmering Apple Cider, Apple Juice, or Cranberry Juice. Can simmer for as little as 15 minutes or as long as all afternoon. Keep for yourself or use as holiday gifts.
Kim Maes, CNC, AADP, known as the Allergy Free Food Coach, is a Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant and Certified in the Practical Application of Food Allergy Guidelines.. She is also the creator of the Cook It Allergy Free iPhone and iPad Apps and the Cook It Allergy Free website, where she shares her passion for teaching others how easy and delicious it can be to eat whole, pure allergy-friendly meals that the entire family will enjoy.