Jul

What I Have NOT Been Doing

Cool Summer Treats

I have not been in the kitchen much lately. I have been in and out as quickly as possible, whipping up some simple, fresh meals..and that is just about it.

It’s just too darn hot to do much else right now…I will spare you our gruesome weather reports…

So I thought I would just share a bit of what we have been doing and what we have been eating to stay cool to beat the heat.

We have spent our last couple of weeks at the beach in Oceanside, CA, like we do every year for the Fourth of July.

We have a long-standing tradition that better not be ending anytime soon…This is all these kids have really ever known of the Fourth of July since birth.

They have been spending their summers together since they were born…

…playing on the beach, romping from one condo to the next, thinking of skits to put on for us parents and grandparents, making up games, selling snow cones, roasting marshmallows, looking for stingrays in the tide, boogie boarding for hours, getting on the evening news (more on that later), and just simply having the freedom and care-free energy that their childhood summers should be about while making memories they will never forget.

Summer Treats to Beat the Heat

Gluten free Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins

And because my lucky youngest just happens to have a birthday that falls within days of the Fourth, he gets to have a ginormous celebration with all of our family and friends that are living at the beach at this time too…

Allergy Friendly Treats

This year he planned out his entire birthday goings-on all by himself…the central part of his agenda involved spending the day out on the beach and catching lots and lots of waves on his boogie board…

Let’s just say he got his wish.

Allergy Friendly summer treats

I think I have fish for children. They are as comfortable in the ocean (and the pool) as they are on land. They obviously take after their father. You may remember me mentioning his love of the ocean and surfing in this post.

Oh. I also forgot to mention that this was my son’s 5th birthday.  And apparently ALL of the cool things happen when you turn 5.

He has already claimed that this is his best year ever (despite the fact we are only a week into it). He says his feet and hands are ginormous now and declares he needs new shoes. According to his own measurements, he has also grown so many inches overnight that our measuring tape can’t keep up with him. And now he says that he is too big for naps or early bedtimes. YIKES!

And remember that stint about getting on the evening news that I mentioned earlier?

They were doing a news story about all of the jellyfish and stingray stings that happened over the Fourth of July. And because our group of kids just happen to have an uncanny knack for catching these critters, the news team decided to do a story with them that aired on the evening news. Cool, huh?

I suppose I could tell you that newly 5-year-old that I mentioned earlier was fully interviewed by that newscaster.

Let’s just say my sweet boy’s part never made it on air due to some unforeseen potty humor that somehow was deemed as necessary by my son during his first potential moment of fame. Now I KNOW he gets that from his father.

Anyway…since we have been busy doing nothing…we have been eating simply and trying to stay cool while doing it…

Dairy-Free Coconut Caramel Bananas

Here are some of our favorite summer Allergy-Friendly Treats to try and beat the heat right now:

Raw Mini Banana-Berry Pudding Pies

Mini Gluten Free and Dairy Free Plum Crumbles

Chocolate Covered Banana “Cake” Pops – Sans the Cake

Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites

Granola Oatmeal Cookie Bars

Watermelon Strawberry Slushies

Dairy-Free Coconut Caramel Bananas over Ice Cream

And one of our favorite summer muffin treats are these Gluten-free Dairy-free Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins. You can go over and check out my recipe for them today on The Balanced Platter.

I truly hope that you have all had an amazing summer so far. Some new recipes are on their way and a few fun surprises will be coming soon. But for now, tell me below how you are all holding up in the heat and staying busy this summer…I truly love hearing from all of you!

1. On July 12, 2012 Sarena said

That’s pretty awesome they got on the news! Sounds like you guys are having the perfect summer! It’s going fast here. They boys start school in less than a month! Time to cram in as much fun as humanly possible! Enjoy the rest of yours my friend!

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Sarena! It was fun to watch them on tv for sure! I cannot believe how fast summer is flying by. We also start school in less than a month! CRAZY!! Enjoy your time with the kiddos!! :D

2. On July 12, 2012 Stephanie ODea said

hahahahhahaa on the potty humor! :-)
    your summer looks marvelous, and I’m so happy that you’re enjoying it to the fullest!

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Steph!! I hope you are enjoying your time with those precious kiddos of yours as well! Summer is going by all too fast! xo

3. On July 12, 2012 Hallie @ Daily Bites said

What a fun summer you’re having! Love your photos. Off to check out your amazing sounding muffins at TBP! :)

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Our summer has definitely been fun, but flying by. Just trying to stay cool right now! This heat has been crazy!! ;)

4. On July 12, 2012 Lori biesel said

Yay looks like u are having a great summer!!! Hope u are still here would love to see u! Love all your pics of the snacks too!!! :)

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hey Lori!! We just got back to AZ, but are headed back out there at the end of the month for a while before school starts up again! I would LOVE LOVE to meet up with you and catch up! Let’s connect when I get back there! :D

5. On July 12, 2012 LEXIE said

What a great summer you’re having : ) Thanks for sharing.

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ahh!! Thank you so much, my friend! I am missing you like crazy!! Hoping your summer (and house hunting) is going well too!! XOXO

6. On July 12, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

Oh, I’m smiling and laughing so hard right now!!!! Potty humor! Hehe. Yep, that’s being a 5-year old boy for sure! If only he’d been as serious about his tv interview as he looked to be about that boogie boarding, then he would have had his solo 15 seconds of fame. ;-) I love seeing all those photos, Kim. What an awesome summer for you guys! :-) Oh, and I already checked out your Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins … thank goodness I have you telling me all the reasons why I should be eating those!

xo to all!

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, I was mortified when the kids told me what he had said into the mike. Seriously?!? He was embracing his new 5 year old self and testing the limits for sure. LOL It was pretty classic. Summer is just going by too quickly. I feel like it is almost over (well it is in a little over a month) so I am trying to just soak up our lazy days before our lives our back into full swing!

7. On July 12, 2012 Emily said

I cannot get over how much Co looks like Dylan. That is ridiculous.

and too big for the tape measure, huh? CLASSIC.

I wish I could join you guys at the beach this year but work forbade it :( I have a huge project going on that week and it’s the BF’s last week in CO before he heads home to HI before moving (you got that, MOVING) to Singapore. Gotta soak that up!!

Have fun, lots of hugs and kiss around for me please!

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Oh boo! Em!! I was so looking forward to seeing you in Cali! I wish you were going to be there. But I totally get it! Work is important but hanging with the BF definitely is big since he will be moving out of the country! YIKES!! :(
      And you are so right. He does totally look like Dylan! No question which side of the family his genes come from! LOL
      Lots of love to you! You will totally be missed, cuz!!
      XOXO

8. On July 12, 2012 Alisa said

Aw, happy birthday to him! So jealous of all of that beach fun! Can I come next trip? :)

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Umm!! Alisa, you better be ALL over our next trip! I miss hanging out with you and am so wanting to do another beach retreat with everyone!

9. On July 12, 2012 Debbie said

Looks like a wonderful time!! We are keeping cool with apple juice slushies. A new thing we hadn’t tried before tonight in the ice cream maker. Enjoy your summer.

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, Debbie. Apple Juice slushies? Those sound amazing. What a great idea. I have a 5 year old who would be ALL over those for sure!! Take care of yourself! I just read your last post. I am so very very sorry and will keep you in my prayers.

10. On July 12, 2012 Linda said

Sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Having a house full of guys, I’m not surprised by the potty humor!

• On July 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Linda, that is totally true. You would definitely get that potty humor with the boys in your house. :) Hope you are enjoying your summer right now!! By the way, I think I am marked on your blog as spam because my comments are not showing up. Just wanted to let you know! :D
      kim

11. On July 14, 2012 Heather @Gluten-Free said

Oh I love those beach pictures! You have no idea how many hours, days, weeks…I’ve spent at that very beach! Your boys are adorable! And 5 years olds are the best. This post makes me excited about going back to kindergarten in a few weeks!

12. On July 16, 2012 Debi said

Kim, you managed to make me miss Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas…heck, all of North County. That’s a hard thing to do! So glad you all enjoyed your time there. :D MIss you!

13. On July 16, 2012 Eleanor Jean Creasey said

Good for you! Isn’t that was summer is about? Enjoying time away from endless schedules. This looks like a great time at the beach.:) The kids are adorable!

14. On July 22, 2012 Carol said

What a fabulous summer you are having! I am a big fan of potty humor btw! :)
    c

• On July 25, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Haha! Thanks, Carol! Yup. Boys and potty humor just seem to go hand-in-hand. I just have to get more used to it considering I am outnumbered in my house! LOL

15. On August 10, 2012 Tracey said

I saw the surfing pics and thought I recognized that beach! We just returned from Oceanside! Such a great time, we took our 9 yr. old lego master to Legoland. He was sooooo happy!!!!!!!

• On August 10, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Tracey, isn’t Legoland a blast!! My boys LOVE that place..It is funny. People always recognize Oceanside beach. Where did you stay when you were there?

1. [...] like I mentioned before, I have not been spending too much time in the kitchen. I have been abiding by the sign above and [...]

2. [...] have been playing on the beach, learning to surf, swimming non-stop in the pool, playing tennis, and…even cleaning ovens [...]