Jun

What’s Your Poison?

Food Allergy Symptoms

Okay. I admit it. Maybe that is just a little dramatic.

My family has always said that I was a bit of a drama queen from very early on…

Symptoms of Food Allergies

But really, by “poison” I mean..

the food or foods that you are allergic or sensitive to?

Because after all, these very foods can actually act like a poison to our precious bodies.

I would love for you to share what your exact food allergies or sensitivities might be. I know some of you are dairy-free, some of you are gluten-free, some are egg-free, some are nut-free, some are corn or soy-free, and some are a combination of all of these and more.

I make most all of my recipes so that they are easily customized to be allergy-friendly and safe for as many as possible….but I am also interested in learning more about you and your specific dietary restrictions.

So are you Gluten-free OR Dairy-free OR Egg-free OR Nut-free OR Corn-free OR Soy-free OR OR OR…. a combination of all of those, or are there other allergies or sensitivities you may be dealing with?

Why do I want to know this right now?

Because I may have a little treat for you coming soon here…a FREE treat, of course. And those are always the best kind.

I just want to get a better idea of what you are all really facing on a daily basis.

So…with that being said, I would love LOVE for you to tell me…

What’s Your Poison? Just leave me a message in the comments below.

1. On June 26, 2012 Maria said

Oops…I meant my son was diagnosed with a dairy allergy at 4 months but he actually wasn’t formally tested until 2 years old per his pediatrician and allergist. However, thankfully, we were told to avoid all of the foods he is actually allergic to (except sesame and avocado). Regardless, at the time, I was not aware of the risks of cross-contamination and didn’t cook much, so wasn’t diligent enough and he did have a few severe reactions. :(

2. On June 26, 2012 Ruth Dorey said

As part of a health regime set up by my chiropractor/wholistic doctor, I have been dairy-free and refined sugar-free for a number of years. Next we added egg-free to the list when I did an extensive food allergy testing which came back with a severe allergy to eggs with the worst being the white of the eg. It is typically the egg yolk to which people are most allergic. Then came the gluten-free component. Most recently I have been placed on an anti-inflammatory diet which has eliminated red meat from my diet in an effort to control RA. I am a bit of a mess. Food has become the energy I need, rather than something spectacular to enjoy. This is unfortunate in some ways as my adult son is a culinarian and eating at restaurants is a favorite family leisure activity. The adjustments definitely do help with my hormonal imbalances and RA but since cooking was never a great love of mine, finding new and interesting recipes can be a challenge

3. On June 27, 2012 Dana said

I avoid gluten, dairy, soy and nightshades for RA that showed its ugly head after the birth of my daughter. My children are GF,CF, SF. Hubbie just GF.
    Menu planning is fun in my house!

4. On June 27, 2012 Judy Sizemore said

I’m still weeding through all of my poisons, but the non-allergic list is far shorter than the allergic list. It seems I react to ALL grains, milk, corn, soy, sugar, tomatoes, apples, almonds, and so on. I’m having trouble finding healthy varieties to eat. I’m good with potatoes, chicken, avocados, eggs and olive oil. Still eliminating and testing, and now digestion is off. No fun! You simply cannot bake with bean flour!

5. On July 4, 2012 Cathi Gross said

Hi:
    Ok, I have a pretty big list.
    Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, All Grain Free that includes rice too, No Starches, No Yeast, No Nightshade family plants like chilles, paprika, tomatoes, etc. I’m only allowed Monosaccharide type Fruits and Vegetables and I can eat all kinds of meat. I can also have certain Nuts and Beans, but they must be soaked for 24 hours before using. So, thats about it :-). Is that just overload crazy. . .Sometimes you just have to laugh about it, otherwise you just cry. :-) LOL
    Catgross
    Ventura, CA

• On July 5, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Cathi! Thank you so much for coming and sharing your list! You are right!! It is pretty extensive! :D And I absolutely love your line about just having to laugh about it sometimes so that you do not end up crying. I took that approach too, from the beginning, and it has made all the difference in our attitudes and how we look at how we eat now! :D
      Thank you again for sharing your journey with all of us here!

• On July 8, 2012 Anna said

Wow, and I thought my list was tough. How did you adjust to all of that? How long did it take you to manage to eliminate all?

6. On July 8, 2012 Anna said

Well, since you asked…LOL! Dairy, canola (oil and plant), sunflower, oats, eggs (seems to be just yolk), peanuts, wheat, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, sesame, kiwi, watermelon, cherry, peach, peppercorn, cashew, garlic, pork, chicken, squash.

Any suggestions? :-)

7. On July 11, 2012 Cathi Gross said

Well, It didn’t all start all at once and it’s been quite a journey. When I found out that I had Hashimoto’s Thyroid Disease is when I stopped the using of Soy and MSG, except for a little fermented like in soy sauce or miso. Otherwise all soy was taken out of my diet 10 years ago. At about the same time I started eating low carb which eliminated all sugars. I only used Splenda for a very short time because I thought it was causing problems, and used Erthiytol and Luo Han Guo, for sweetener, instead a little Inulin and Chicory Root. It wasn’t until I started bringing in the Wheat products that I began dawn on me that I was having a problem bigger problems with Gluten’s, but it took me 8 more years before I would be diagnosed with Celiac Disease. So, Gluten was not totally eliminated, until I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease two and half years ago. That’s when, I eliminated Gluten from my diet altogether along with changing my kitchen so it was a gluten free environment. I still kept my carbs low too, because I had a sister who died from diabetes and the other side of the DNA Gene for Celiac disease is diabetes. At the same time as my diagnosis for Celiac disease I also had found out that I was Casein Sensitive, which I had always suspected was a problem. So out went the diary with the Glutens, and so did corn. And for 2 ½ years I was faithful to the diet. I hated it when if first started, but once I learned how to cook without glutens and dairy and everything else and also find products that were safer, it got easier. At first the diet seemed to be help, and I started to get better BUT then everything when south the diarrhea started up again and many other digestive problems came up that I thought were going away even know I was being diligent to check everything. I just couldn’t figure out where the gluten was getting in at. I had changed everything, from toothpaste to lipstick to things I put on my skin and face to what I washed my skin and hair with no Gluten or Soy or Corn or Dairy. I had even stopped eating at restaurants even know they were Gluten free. Finally my doctor stuck me on a more strict diet called the SCD Diet (Special Carbohydrate Diet) along with Candida’s Diet which eliminated just about everything. No Sweeteners of any kind, No Starches, No yeast, No Gums of any kind (which are used in Gluten free items) All Grains were eliminated and I mean all grains. No Seaweed or fungus type products and the list goes on. I pretty much can only eat Good Grass-fed Meats, Good healthy fats and along with Steamed Vegetables and that’s it. So far, I have not been able to have any fruits, though I try every so often to see, if my body can handle it. I have also tried different nut, but they irritate even know I have soaked them for 24 hours before using. My body is still to raw even after 3 ½ mos. and it’s probably going to take me awhile to get it healed. If the SCD diet doesn’t’ work, it’s kind of a last resort. My Doctor says it’s going to take at least 2 to 3 years probably for me to heal and possibly longer. I’m 54 years old, and I have probably been dealing with Celiac Disease all my life. The longer it takes to heal and sometimes it take something more drastic that the Gluten free diet to do. The Special Carbohydrate diet has been around way longer the Gluten free diet and was the original diet that patients were put on. If you want to read an interesting book about the discovery of the SCD Diet, read Management of Celiac Disease by Dr. Sidney Valentine Haas and Merrill Patterson Hass. It’s a really good read. Anyway, I’m still on the journey and hopefully, when it’s done, I’ll have a bigger list of foods to eat, but right now it’s a very small list. Thank you for asking. 
    Cathi G.
    Ventura, CA

8. On July 16, 2012 Lynne said

I certainly don’t have a list as extensive as Anna’s on July 8. However, my list is very frustrating when trying to put together a meal or any baked item.

Allergy/Sensativity to: gluten, rice, millet, sorghum, egg whites, sesame, coffee
    Also suppose to avoid: dairy & soy

(All are triggers for my Hashimoto’s auto-immune disease.)

Looking forward to your “treat”!!

Lynne
    Springfield VA

9. On July 16, 2012 Iris said

My son was diagnosed at 13 months with multiple severe food allergies. He is allergic to 16 foods (it was 18, but we have been able to eliminate two). He is allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shell fish, soy, corn, tomato, onion, avocado, banana, pineapple, lamb, black pepper, and mustard.

His reactions vary from inflaming his eczema to anaphylaxis.

10. On July 18, 2012 Jennifer said

My oldest son has autism and is on a diet free of dairy, soy, gluten, food coloring, MSG and nitrates. I am on a diet free of gluten, soy and MSG, tolerate dairy in small amounts on a rotation. I have fibrolyalgia, hypothyroidism and Asperger’s Syndrome and my diet is a big deal for those conditions.

1. [...] You have shared your Deepest Darkest Secrets. You have shared What Your Poisons (aka Your Food Allergies) are. [...]