Okay. I have a riddle for you.
What do you get when you cross a pineapple with a mango with some shredded coconut and then top it off with a delectable coconut crumble topping?
Okay. I know the title of this post kind of gives it away. I have never been very good at riddles anyway.
The more specific answer, however, is a Gluten-free Dairy-free Pineapple Mango Coconut Crumble…
I have never had this type of a crumble dessert before. But with pineapples piled high in the stores and ringing in super-duper cheap right now, I decided to use up the one quickly ripening on my counter and mix it with a bit of mango that was hanging around.
The result? A perfect summer fiesta in your mouth!
The pineapple caramelizes in this much like it does in Pineapple Upside Down Cake. And, of course, we all know that the sugary pineapple is everyone’s favorite part of that dessert.
I am now officially in love with this fun new tropical gluten free dairy free summer dessert.
I suppose I could list some of the reasons you should give this a try.
1. There are so many health benefits in pineapple that you can’t help but feel a little good about eating this.
2. It only takes barely 15 minutes to throw together before tossing it in the oven.
3. That this goes far far too well with some Dairy-free Coconut Ice Cream.
4. That this recipe makes far more crumble topping than you need…but no one notices…because it is a well-known secret that that IS, after all, the best part.
5. That this is Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Refined Sugar-free, and EASILY EASILY Nut-free.
But I better stop now. I don’t want you to start drooling on your keyboards.
I’ll just go ahead and share the recipe now.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Pineapple Mango Coconut Crumble
Also: Refined Sugar Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, and Easily Nut Free
- 1 Medium Sized Ripe Pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 Medium Sized Mango, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tsp All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend (such as Pure Pantry’s All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 2 Tablespoon Coconut Palm Sugar, such as Wholesome Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Shredded Unsweetened Coconut, preferably Organic
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil – measured, for this purpose only, in solid form (OR Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, cold and cut into pieces; OR if not avoiding dairy, Organic butter, cold and cut into pieces) **See Note Below
- 1/2 cup Certified Gluten Free Rolled Oats (or equal amounts Quinoa Flakes if you are sensitive to Oats)
- 1/4 cup Almond flour (For NUT FREE: use additional 1/4 cup of your gluten free flour blend instead)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour blend (such as Pure Pantry’s All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1/4 cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut, preferably Organic
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons ground Chia seeds, or Flax meal (optional, but nice addition of Omega 3′s)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Palm sugar (or Brown Sugar)
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 9 square glass baking dish or a round pie dish or cake pan. In small bowl, mix together all filling ingredients: Pineapple, Mango, Gluten Free Flour Blend, Coconut Palm Sugar, Shredded Coconut, and Vanilla. Place in prepared baking dish.
2. In another bowl add your chilled Coconut oil (or Butter or Butter Alternative), Certified Gluten Free Oats (or quinoa flakes), Almond flour (or additional all-purpose flour), Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, Shredded Coconut, Ground Chia or Flax Meal (if using), Coconut Palm Sugar, and Sea Salt. Use a pastry blender (or a fork) to crumle/cream your ingredients together until coarse meal forms.
3. Spread topping over Pineapple-Mango filling. This makes a lot of topping. Place baking dish in pre-heated oven for 35 minutes. If you like a crispy top, you can turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes at the very end, but watch VERY carefully if you do this so it does not burn!
**Note: Measurements for Coconut Oil should typically, in most baking recipes, be measured in liquid form for the correct volume measurement.
And for a little savory treat to go along with this Summer Dessert, go check out my Gluten-free Zucchini Fritters over at The Balanced Platter today. They are a perfect way to get those kiddos eating Zucchini this summer while they are in full season!