Jun

Do You Have Tooth Enamel Issues Related to Celiac Disease?

How to Strengthen Your Tooth Enamel Naturally

Well, I have 9 Ways to Strengthen Your Tooth Enamel NATURALLY!

I am sharing this post today because we have spent the last two years focusing on this in our house, thanks to the damage that Celiac Disease has caused to my son’s teeth.

My husband also has tooth enamel issues (since he, too, has Celiac Disease that went undiagnosed for much of his life) …but he does not like me talking about his pearly…uh, whites. So just forget now that I even mentioned him here.

Only a couple of years ago, my son’s teeth were not in the best shape due to the tooth enamel defects that we have since learned can be caused by Celiac Disease.

When you are suffering from issues such as Celiac Disease, food intolerances, and conditions that tend to affect your nutrient absorption, you are at risk for de-mineralization of your tooth enamel. When the digestive system is impaired, it does not properly release vital minerals into the body for use by the teeth in building enamel.

So, unfortunately, my oldest son suffered from quite a few dental carries and other dental issues, despite being gluten-free and having impeccable tooth care skills.

And then, one morning, over two years ago, after he woke up with a horribly infected tooth and his cheeks looking like this…

How to Improve Tooth Enamel Naturally

And, after having to have the little bugger that was causing the nasty infection yanked out…(the penny is to show size comparison – oh. And don’t look if you’re squeamish),

Tooth Enamel Defects from Celiac Disease

I decided I was going to go on a mission to do something about it.

So after endless research, visits with holistic dentists, and copious note-taking…I wanted to share with you some of the important steps that you can take to try and re-mineralize your teeth (or your child’s) and strengthen the enamel.

And I also wanted to let you know that these steps have worked for us. My son’s (and husband’s…shh) teeth are in wonderful shape and health now.

This is just a basic breakdown – there is so much more and the science behind it is actually very fascinating, but I will just leave you with the basics of what can help in this process, since I am sure that is what you are looking for anyway.

Did you know that your tooth enamel is 96% mineral content and is the strongest substance in the human body?

Unfortunately, this enamel can easily be leeched out through poor diet, lack of nutrient absorption due to digestive damage, or from acidic environments in the mouth.

Acidic foods and drinks are the worst for tooth enamel. They slowly dissolve some of the minerals out of your enamel every day.

Some foods that are known to promote enamel loss and are important to avoid are:

• Coke and other Sodas/Soft Drinks – due, not only to the sugar, but also the phosphoric acid present
  • Candy – an obvious one
  • Processed Foods: Cookies, Muffins, Refined Sugars, High Fructose Corn Syrup  - due to the starch that is difficult to break down and then causes more acid to be present in the mouth.
  • Hydrogenated Oils and Margarines
  • Coffee (Ack..I know-this one pains me)
  • Alcohol and Tobacco
  • Pasteurized Milk
  • Artificial Sweeteners
  • Breads and Cereals – it is the phytic acid that is present in these that blocks the absorption of minerals and causes the issues (sprouting your grains, nuts, and seeds will help to reduce this problem)
  • Commercial Toothpastes – for many reasons, but sodium lauryl sulfate, glycerin, and flouride are just a few.

But, here is the good news. There are ways to actually strengthen the enamel and re-mineralize it. With a little dedication and some information tucked under your belt, you can begin the process NOW!

Steps known to promote enamel GROWTH and are therefore important to add into your diet and lifestyle are:

• Keep teeth clean using tooth soaps OR try a Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
  • Encourage saliva production and keep the mouth moistoil pulling is a good method for this – it helps eliminate toxic dental bacterial and also stimulates the salivary glands. Saliva helps to coat teeth and also contains trace minerals that will aid in the remineralization process
  • Ensure that you have adequate levels of Vitamin D in your diet – D provides the proper balance of calcium and phosphorus to support mineralization. Pure fermented cod liver oil, krill oil, salmon, other fatty fish, and egg yolks are good sources. For Vegan sources – sunshine, UV-irradiated mushrooms, yeast, fortified foods, and D3  supplements are all options.
  • Ensure that you have adequate levels of Vitamin K2 in your diet – K2 is essential for bone growth and mineral absorption. High Vitamin Butter (raw pastured is ideal) High Vitamin Butter Oil, Marrow, Egg Yolks, Chicken Liver Pate, and Hard Cheeses are good non-Vegan Sources. For Vegan sources- Supplements or Natto (requires an acquired palate) are options.
  • Ensure that you have adequate levels of Vitamin C in your diet – C ensures strong gum health. Good sources are papaya, bell peppers, strawberries, broccoli, pineapple, brussels sprouts, kiwi, kale, and oranges.
  • Homemade Bone Broth – true bone broths are full of calcium, gelatin, and minerals that are easily absorbed by the body for bone growth and are wonderful for re-mineralization and encourage enamel growth.
  • Traditional Sea Salt - not processed table salt. True sea salt contains many trace minerals that are vital to bone and enamel growth.
  • Traditional Fermented Foods – contain high levels of natural probiotics, which are wonderful for balancing out the good bacterial in the mouth. Good sources are  homemade sauerkraut, kombucha, natto, pickled vegetables, kefir, and Water Kefir
  • Add more Strawberries into your diet – not only because they are high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, but also because they have a natural exfoliating effect due to the malic acid content. The malic acid helps to whiten teeth while removing harmful tartar.

So…if you have suffered from dental/enamel problems because of absorption or diet-related issues, you may want to try some of the above steps.

It is not an overnight process. It takes time and diligence and consistency since your tooth enamel is in a constant state of flux between demineralizing and remineralizing. But the best part of the above steps is that every one of them also benefit your health in so many other ways as well!

Now..tell me. Have you suffered any dental issues that you think may be related to your food intolerances or Celiac Disease?

1. On June 6, 2012 glutenfreehappytummy said

how interesting! i had no idea there was a link! thanks for sharing!

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Glutenfreehappytummy! I did not realize the link either. Once my son started having these issues, despite the fact that we took really really good care of his teeth, it led me down the path to more research. :)

• On May 19, 2014 anees said

hi

2. On June 6, 2012 Heidi said

Thanks for the information. It will help so much. I am a 37 year young women who recently found out I have celiac. I have had tooth problems since childhood. It encouraged me to hear that your husband’s teeth have improved.

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Heidi! My husband did not discover his Celiac Disease until his mid-thirties either. His teeth and his health in general have made a total 180 degree change over the last few years. Wishing you great success as you embark on your new journey. If you ever have any questions, feel free to come here and ask! ;)
      Happy gluten free eating to you!

• On March 1, 2013 Eidin said

this information is so helpful. I’ve recently noticed my teeth not as they normally would and i didn’t connect it to limiting certain foods that i’ve learned I can not tolerate or just for the pure fact that some foods just mess up my body for a few days. It is interesting to learn all of the things that you have shown through the research and i’m going to definately use it.
        Thank you so much and best wishes to you and your family.

• On March 5, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Eidin! It is amazing how much of a connection there is to what we put into our bodies and then how our bodies react to them. I hope you are on a wonderful path to health!
          Enjoy your day!

• On July 2, 2013 Mary said

Do the 9 ways to strengthen tooth enamel apply to aligning teeth in order (teeth have grown in crooked)?

Thanks,
            Mary

• On July 9, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Mary, I don’t think the steps will really help in aligning the teeth. However, if you do try any of the above steps and notice that the teeth are straightening out, please please come back and let us know! That would be amazing! :)

3. On June 6, 2012 Ricki said

What an absolute wealth of information this post is! (sorry about the garbled grammar!). It’s great that you also offer ways to RE-mineralize. . . so helpful for everyone, not just people with celiac. :) Thanks for this post, Kim!

4. On June 6, 2012 Christina said

Wow! I am finding out how so many issues are linked together in some way. I do not have Celiac Disease, but do have Food Allergies to Wheat/Barley/Rye as well as some others Allergies and Intolerance’s. I never connected all of these issues with Digestive Health and now Dental Health together with the Allergies. Now as I connect the dots I am blown away. Thanks for sharing this. I am on a researching journey and finding out lots of helpful information that will in turn help me and my family in tremendous ways.

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Christina, the same can happen with food intolerances too. If our digestive systems are inflamed and not absorbing our nutrients properly, then we can have a myriad of health issues arise because of it. And it is so wonderful as we all start researching how we can connect all of those dots that at one time seemed so totally unrelated!! Great job on your new journey! :)

5. On June 6, 2012 Alisa said

So interesting Kim!

Thanks for sharing this. Curious, are dental issues extremely common among those with Celiac disease (almost a sign of it), or just among some? Any thoughts?

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, dental issues are far more common with Celiac Disease and other digestive-related issues than you think. Our dentist is seeing more and more issues now and says he is surprised at how many people are dealing with enamel issues due to their digestive problems.

6. On June 6, 2012 Carol SGF said

Just one of the many things I love about you is how you get determined and then do something! Great post.

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Haha, Carol! Maybe it is just the stubborn side of me that does this. I do not like to be told there is nothing I can do. ;)

7. On June 6, 2012 Sarena said

I love this post! Thank you for sharing. Tony (my husband) has always suffered with enamel issues due to celiac. I will definitely share this with him in hopes to help in the future!

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ooh! I wish Tony good luck, Sarena! My husband has had issues his whole life and he has seen big improvements. So tell him there is hope yet! ;)

8. On June 6, 2012 Melissa Ford said

This is making me wonder if my son has Celiac disease. He has food allergies. He also had a molar pulled that got a “hole” in it. Which to me seems like a cavity but the dentist said it wasn’t. He has had many fillings done and has those odd spots on his teeth. We thought it was from fluoride. Wish I had known about the crap before buying that horrible nursery water!
    Anyways, he is only 6 and has all these teeth issues already. Anytime he eats grains he does get a little red flare up on his cheek that goes away after about 1/2hr.
    My cousin has celiac disease. Is it hereditary? I believe she has nut allergies like him as well. Is there a test?

Thanks!

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ooh. Melissa, that is very interesting. Your son’s issues sound a lot like my son’s. He also had a “hole” in one of his teeth. But I decided to hold off on doing anything about it and then the last time we were at the dentist it had magically disappeared! And Celiac Disease is definitely definitely hereditary. There are full Celiac Panel blood tests available to check for it. But, even if his tests come back negative, perhaps you should try removing gluten from his diet for a period of time to see if his symptoms improve. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!! :)

9. On June 6, 2012 Ellen said

When I was in the worst health of my life, underweight and rapidly losing, digestive symptoms galore, and massive autoimmune flare ups, I also had the most problems with my teeth. I could MOVE them with my TONGUE. They actually looked slightly translucent. I thought I was losing my mind, and my body. I’ve since gone beyond GF, to actually heal my gut and re-nourish my body, and my teeth are SO much better. The fermented cod liver oil is great, I highly recommend it. Now if I could only give up coffee…

• On June 6, 2012 Kate said

Hi Ellen,
      I am wondering how you healed your gut?
      Thanks,
      Kate

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Good question, Kate! I hope she answers back! I love to hear what is working for others too! ;)

• On June 7, 2012 Seana said

It sounds like Ellen used the GAPS Diet. We’re on it, too.

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Wow! Ellen, how amazing that you are doing so much good for yourself and your body! I am so glad that you are doing so much better already! Congratulations on your diligence and hard work!
      And I really believe that the fermented cod liver oil plays a big part in the healing.
      Oh and I have just not been able to give up that coffee either…but I am good on the rest of the list.
      Thanks for sharing your story, Ellen! ;)

10. On June 6, 2012 Maggie said

I love your posts like this – reasons to eat pineapple, how to fix your teeth :) Thanks for this fascinating info. Do you guys use that homemade toothpaste? I’m almost read to switch! There’s a Canadian site that has an all-natural (and really all-natural) tooth care line. http://www.livinglibations.com
    As for the coffee, can we just ignore one? 80-20 rule, right?
    ps your boys are so lucky to have you!

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, I have made that toothpaste many times before. The hard thing is that, in the winter, the coconut oil hardens so it takes a bit to soften in your mouth. I am going to go check out that site you mentioned. I wonder if they ship to the US?
      Oh. And for the coffee…I LIVE by that 80/20 rule. It is just too much a part of my morning ritual to completely give up. But if we are doing everything else on that list, we have to be ok, right? LOL

11. On June 6, 2012 Carole said

Just wondering, if a dentist tells me I have a neurological problem instead of a mineralization issue (without knowledge of my gluten inolerence/celiac), should I show him this research & reinforce I am GI and this could be possibility? Hope that made sense,dealing with results of motorcycle accident while relearning not to poison the body, feeding me properly, and rebuilding my body’s immune system is challenge….. as I redo retypos *giggle slow hands..good editing..;}.
    After looking at list of foods,I am thankful I have been eating most of them my whole life..had never heard of vitamin K2. Thank you for this article. It connects another set of dots in the mystery of accident recovery’s affect on my body and its effects on.
    Putting you on favorites list. We journey better, assisting one another along the way!
    Back on the hunt for gluten free supplements,fish oil,mmmmm.
    I’m a first time visitor and sure to return to your quality page,Thanx

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Carole! It definitely cannot hurt to talk to your dentist about issues related to gluten intolerance. And how wonderful that you are already doing so many of the good things for your body on this list. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with the healings of your accident and hope that you are now well on your way to health. Thank you so much for your kind words. I look forward to “seeing” you around here more often now! ;)

12. On June 6, 2012 Christine said

I had the enamel issues since chilhood but it wasn’t diagnosed until age 47. On the advice of one of my professors at TCM college years ago (1980′s) I started using an ayurvedic toothpaste AURAMERE and drinking green tea. Both help remineralize with naturally occuring minerals, whitens and desensitzes. I haven’t had troubles except when I’ve visited a dentist that made many claims about being wholistic but was nothing but a huckster out to make money. I’ve honestly had much better oral hygiene STAYING AWAY FROM DENTISTS and being very diligent with daily care. The same for my DBF of 12 years. I make my own gargle from sea salt saline and various herbs. I use hydrogen peroxide diluted 1/2 strength with water frequently as well.

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Christine, Congratulations on your diligent process of working on repairing your teeth! I am going to check out the toothpaste that you mentioned as well. It sounds really interesting! Thank you so much for sharing your story. And I have to agree that staying away from the dentists can actually be a good thing sometimes as long as you are diligent about daily care. ;)

13. On June 6, 2012 barb said

Has anyone come across a good recipe without the coconut oil? I’ve been experimenting but I don’t care for the oily-ness!

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Barb! I know some people who like to use this combination: Combine 1 Tbsp baking soda, 1/2 Tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground cloves or Sea Salt (if you do not mind the saltiness). Then Wet enough to form a paste on your brush. It is more of a tooth powder that becomes a paste when it gets wet. The coconut oil is to make it a little smoother over your teeth and it also has some good anti-bacterial and health properties. But I agree that the oily-ness takes some getting used to.

14. On June 6, 2012 Cinnamon said

Oh my goodness YES! That’ s me to a ‘t’. I just didn’t find out about it till I was over 40 :-) Lots of damage done. I use flouride free toothpaste and have homemade broth but I’m so forgetful about drinking it.

I had my body tested and found out that I was both extremely low in Vit C and D. Go figure. I’ve never been tested for Celiac but have definite gluten/dairy issues so we avoid those as best we can.

Thank you for sharing. I had always wondered but never “knew” for sure if Celiac/gluten problems had anything to do with bad teeth. Now I know :-)

~Cinnamon

• On June 6, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Cinnamon!! I am so glad to hear that you are finding out what might be part of any of your teeth issues. Thank you for sharing part of your story! I hope you are now on an amazing path to wellness!! Sounds like you are already doing a lot of things right! Great job… :)

15. On June 6, 2012 Laura said

Hi Kim,

This is such an informative and well written post! Wow-I will be making my husband who has Celiac Disease read this tomorrow morning. I recently started oil pulling and look forward to trying some of your other fabulous suggestions.

• On June 7, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, Laura!! How are your husband’s teeth? Hopefully he has not had too many dental issues
      And I find oil pulling very fascinating. Definitely gives those cheek muscles a workout! ;)

16. On June 7, 2012 Hope said

Man, I am so living this right now!
    Two years ago, I started to make the connection so my gut problems and gluten, and I’ve been trying (sometimes more successfully than others) to get it out of my diet ever since.
    About a year ago, I made my annual trip to the dentist, and I almost fell out of my chair when he told me that he was going to need to fill 8 cavities. 8!!! I thought he was joking. After all the fillings, and drilling, and TMJ flareups, and HUGE dental bills, I hoped I would never see the inside of a dental office again. It was insane, I had gone my entire childhood and adult life having only 2 cavities, and now BAM! Here’s 8 more. I assumed it was related to the fact that I had my 2 sons, I thought it was some kind of mineral loss from that.
    I still struggle with enamel issues, and a couple of my caps have broken off, but I am hesitant to go back to the dentist, I can’t bear to hear more bad news. I use Tom’s of Maine toothpaste, and I started using ACT enamel building swish, and I bought some sesame oil with the intention of starting oil pulling (I have a hard time getting up earlier to do it before the kids wake up!).
    It’s funny, I’ve always been overweight, not underweight. I never thought I had issues with mineral absorption and I sometimes wondered if I was making up this whole gluten intolerance thing. But the bloating, tiredness, depression, gut ickiness, and flushed feeling I get after eating desserts or breads have to mean something! I need to be more diligent in keeping gluten out of my diet!

• On June 8, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Wow, Hope! You have really been through the wringer with your teeth! I bet that once you are more diligent about keeping gluten out of your diet, you will begin to feel much better. You will have to let us know if you see any improvement in your teeth if you begin the oil pulling. Keep us posted on your journey. I hope that you can get the cavities under control and get back to re-mineralizing your enamel. ;)

17. On June 21, 2012 SherriS. said

Wow! My dad’s side of the family and 2 of my sisters join me in having dental problems. Both of them have recently gotten dentures (in their 50′s) and I’ve been fatalistic thinking I will too. I’m wheat allergic and sensitive to gluten.

I’m going to see if I can stop the damage with your recommended list.

Thanks for sharing this!

• On June 21, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Sherri! I hope that some of these steps can help you rebuild your enamel and then hopefully prevent you from going down the same dentures path as the rest of your family! ;) Thank you for sharing your story!

18. On June 22, 2012 Nicole said

This is all so fascinating. I am in the middle of blogging about this issue, based on everything I’ve read this morning PLUS my own experiences. I have ALWAYS gotten cavities and dentists have complained that I brush too hard, thus my enamel erosion.

Based on my regimented oral hygiene and diet, I shouldn’t have cavities or disappearing enamel….but then I read this post about all of the possible reasons I could be suffering from lack of oral health.

I have learned SO much from this post AND from reading others’ comments, and I am still on a roll researching all this, which just intuitively makes sense to me now. It NEVER made sense when dentists told me that I was brushing too hard and drinking too much soda. I don’t drink soda! They otherwise could not account for my poor teeth health.

Fascinating!! Thank you.

• On June 22, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Nicole! Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. It makes me happy to know that this may help you on your path to healing. I felt the same way about my son. He ate really healthy and he, too, had impeccable tooth care (I was doing it at the time). And he still had issues. It was not until we took our own approach that his teeth started to get better. I hope that this helps you on your journey to repairing your teeth! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! ;)

19. On July 4, 2012 Fitness Food & Style said

How fabulous to stumble across your site! I am new in blog land and just set up my new blog site. Currently doing a 2 week sugar free challenge with my readers. I will share this resourceful blog as I have many that have allergy to food questions.

Anyone else reading this please feel free to visit me xx Dani

• On July 5, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Dani! Welcome to Cook It Allergy Free. Looking forward to “seeing” you around. Best wishes for your new site! :D

20. On October 12, 2012 Bri said

Kale. Baking soda toothpaste. Drink a little baking soda. Drink a little apple cider vinegar, organic. Eat no beef. Eat some chicken and or white fish stewed in with kale, squash, broccoli, zucinni, and in a month your teeth will have remineralized. Guaranteed. Forget dentists.

• On October 12, 2012 Bri said

And eat no sugar, honey. Have stevia instead.

• On October 18, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Great tips, Bri! All of those go a loooong way in helping to remineralize the teeth! :) Thanks for sharing.

21. On October 30, 2012 Bri said

I have to add to my comments… When I say eat some chicken or some fish, salmon is ok too, I suggest that we eat less and less of it. Stay on a vegan diet as much as possible. I have a cavity on my eye tooth and it’s quite visible. My dentist wants to drill it off and put a cap on it. It aim to keep the tooth by keeping it clean, no sugars. My vegan diet and I are going to march right back into that dentist’s office in 6 months and amaze her. She’s going to see that my tooth is staying where it is, and will get better. Oil pulling helps generally, and my teeth are getting substantially more white as the enamel gets stronger. Don’t get fooled by dentists and their mantra as to how your teeth can only be fixed by their hard fisted, coupled with the American diet, approach. Think about it. Are the natives in Borneo or in other 3rd world countries dealing with bad teeth? Bad skin? Hair going white? No they are not. Why? Because their diets are so natural, no processed food or sugars. I’m 60 and i feel like I’m 20 now. It took less than a year to renew myself but I did it. Good luck to you all.

• On October 31, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Bri!! Way to go! I hope that more people are as ambitious as you in healing their teeth naturally. I cannot wait to hear from you in a few months to see what your dentist has to say. I am sure that your tooth is going to be healed! Keep up the good work. ;)

22. On January 18, 2013 Melissa said

Have you discovered a toothpaste and mouth wash that has been working for your family?

23. On February 19, 2013 Crystal said

My son has lots of tooth decay. Do you think the oil pulling is something we should try with him or can we do a few of the other steps? I am not sure how well he will do the oil pulling. Any suggestion where to start? If we supplement with VIt D, C, and K what is a recommended dose for a healthy 10 year old?

24. On May 2, 2013 Mama Lee said

I am so glad someone else has shared this info! We have dealt w/enamel issues/decay & it is a nightmare. People judge you even though your child who never even had a drop of juice, formula, etc. had issues w/their teeth…. from the moment they broke through the gums. Years later, once we learned of a gluten issue I told every dentist we saw & was told by all of them they had never heard of such a thing (the connection to gluten issues/celiac to dental issues). I don’t see how there could NOT be a connection… I mean if your body can’t digest what you eat, how is it getting nourishment?!

I get really fired up about it all because of what we went through with it… & I see kids all over the place now w/silver crowns… & I am hearing from so many parents whose children had to go under general anesthesia because they were so young to have repair done, had too many teeth to get repaired in office w/out having to drive back & forth 15 times, the child was too young to cooperate, etc.

SOMETHING is up & it isn’t lack of fluoride! I don’t think every child w/decay/enamel issues has gluten issues, but I think there are so many whose parents have no idea… & are blaming themselves, even though their child eats well, gets limited sweets, no juice, brushes & flosses teeth at least 2x a day, etc.

Thank you for sharing this!!

25. On May 5, 2013 Aisha said

I was almost in tears and I came across your blog. My daughters baby teeth were fine but permanent teeth were coming in very brittle and discolored. I started to notice this a few nonths ago and took her to the dentist immediately. They said it was nothing I could do. They said when she gets older I can think about getting her caps…but she’s only 5 so that’s not going to work. So I also did have her tested for celiac disease and a full metibolic panel blood tests. I started to hear about celiac diease and digestion issue and it made me look further. So the test came back negative for this diesease but her vitamin D level was very low. She has had a history of low vitamin D levels and of course I’m blqming myself. What should I do next? I’ve read most of the posts but don’t kbow where to start or do next….She’s onl

26. On July 9, 2013 Heidi said

Great post! I have celiacs and demineralization on my front teeth, have come across Dr. Ellie and Kiss your Dentist goodbye http://www.drellie.com/ on how to keep your teeth clean, that we have not been taught that. She uses Xylitol to dissolve the bacteria in your mouth. Have also started using a tongue cleaner and oil pulling. To learn that the white spots will heal given that I don’t mouth breath (allergy induced I am sure) and give my body the minerals to use! Also there are ways to stop mouth breathing and all the health issues that that effects as well. There is hope. Just one little step in my healing process as well.

• On July 9, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Heidi!! Thank you so much for sharing your success! It is great to hear that your are seeing steps in the right direction in the healing of your teeth! Keep us posted as you continue on your journey! :)

27. On September 4, 2013 Ambar said

I have just turned 18 & have been a coeliac for all of my life, becoming critically ill when about 2 for them not knowing what was wrong with me. Teenage years have by far been the hardest for me with the lack of resources available and the temptation to consume gluten! However, after becoming ill again- but not knowing exactly what is wrong with me I am pleased to see the resources have become a lot stronger than what they were! I’ve suffered from every other side effect coeliac causes, IBS, anxiety etc. and you don’t realise how much is actually related and how serious related health issues can be. Recently my problems have mostly been related to my teeth, they have become alot more sensitive even to cold weather (I’m guessing due to enamel deficiency) and hAve infact had teeth not grow back (one baby tooth that came out and never grew back) to then find out I have another baby tooth left which has no tooth above. People definitely underestimate the psychological problems related, this has caused so much stress knowing I’m going to have to fund about £1000+ to replace/fix broken teeth!

28. On September 13, 2013 Zoe said

This is very informative — thanks! My middle daughter is almost 6 and has had horrible problems with her tooth enamel. We took her to the dentist for the first time when she turned 3 and she already had 10 cavities and needed 2 root canals on her molars and 2 crowns. Her teeth are sensitive and hurt to chew on even when the dentist says that she has no new cavities. I have 2 other children who eat a very similar diet and have the same dental hygiene habits, but their teeth are perfect.
    We have questioned whether she could have celiac disease or some type of food intolerance. She gets stomach aches and has a lot of gas, and often has a big tummy (from bloating, presumably). Over the last 6 months she has developed a really strong body odour and has to wear deodorant (she is only 5 years old!) I make a natural deodorant using baking soda, arrowroot, and coconut oil so I feel ok about using it on her, but she just seems too young to have to need it. She also gets bouts of hives that we’ve never been able to find the cause of (even after seeing a pediatric allergist and our family doctor many times).
    We recently saw a naturopath and she suggested doing a trial of removing gluten and dairy (she eats very little dairy to start with though). We haven’t started yet because I don’t know whether to get her tested for celiac disease through our family doctor first. I’m not sure whether a formal diagnosis will matter — if she does improve off of gluten, then we’ll know that we need to avoid it from here on.

29. On November 13, 2013 joe said

thanks for info. very helpful.

30. On January 4, 2014 Nenet said

Hi Kim, do you have a video clip showing the proper ways of oil filling? And, is palm oil ok for it?

And, can someone add oil filling to their services like the Dental implants in Long Island?

31. On February 12, 2014 keri said

This is awesome…we have been diligent over the last 7 years with my 9 yr olds diet as he gets really bad eczema and depression if we dont….he cam e home this week from the school dental nurse note that he needs fillings for his developmental pits (not from decay), i said no to the filling and i went in and she showed me them and they are from when his enamal hasnt grown or sealed over when growing his teeth..im excited from your post and have wrote it all down..thanks sooo much…extra note: since getting the note he has been chewing parsley for 15 mins or until a liquified state to clean and strenghten the teeth and chews on licrioce sticks to prevent harmful bacteria. thanks again

32. On June 27, 2014 Daisie said

Will sea salt break down enamel if i brush my teeth with it?

33. On August 26, 2014 Bridget said

I have had tooth enamel problems for years. I brush and floss religiously. Recently I have had bad allergy reactions (wheezing, tightness of chest, constant sneezing for hours) to gluten and preservatives. I had NO idea there was a link between gluten and tooth enamel. I am going to be extra cautious from now on. Bridget

34. On September 8, 2014 Riya said

these tips are very useful for us.thanks for sharing it.

35. On September 28, 2014 Juliet smith said

I’ve got a very bad gum receding problem, no dentist can help me or seems to know what causes it. Do you have a dietary plan or advice which can reverse the receding process and regrow the gums. Many thanks.

1. [...] 9 Ways to Improve Tooth Enamel Naturally | Cook It Allergy Free Posted by fitnessoversixty in ARTICLES June 6, 2012 9 Ways to Improve Tooth Enamel Naturally | Cook It Allergy Free. [...]

2. [...] They can help Prevent Tooth Decay and Aid in Strengthening Tooth Enamel [...]

3. [...] Helpful in Rebuilding Tooth Health [...]