Jun

5 Minute Super Healthy Watermelon Strawberry Slushies

Allergy-friendly Watermelon Slushies

This Allergy-Friendly Watermelon Strawberry Slushy “Recipe” is one of the quickest treats you can throw together on these sweltering summer days

.and I use the term recipe verrrry loosely since it almost really isn’t even one.

and I only say sweltering because it has been 110 here for the last seven days straight…with no end in sight.

This is such an easy drink to throw together…just throw the ingredients into the blender…turn on…viola. Simple Slushies.

And the best part is that you can also throw any of your leftovers into your popsicle molds and end up with a frozen treat just an hour or so later!

So if you are looking for simple ideas to stay cool and healthy this summer… this is an easy one.

Plus, just check out all of the great reasons you should be including watermelons and strawberries into your diet anyway… ;)

Some Health Benefits of Watermelon.

Watermelon are:

• A powerful antioxidant – rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C
  • Extremely high in Lycopene – great for supporting vision, the immune system, and cancer prevention
  • Rich in B Vitamins – so an excellent source of energy production
  • High in Citruline, an amino acid that our bodies use to make Arginine, another amino acid that is used in the urea cycle to remove ammonia from the body
  • Exceptionally high in hydrating water content

Some Health Benefits of Strawberries.

Strawberries are:

• Packed with high levels of Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin K, and Manganese – they are completely nutrient dense
  • Full of powerful Antioxidants to aid in strengthening the immune system
  • Exceptionally beneficial in fighting inflammatory conditions and aiding in cancer prevention
  • Beneficial in eye health and bone health
  • Helpful in Rebuilding Tooth Health

And just a note of advice…with all of this red goodness, perhaps these are best consumed outside… ;)

This happened less than 2 minutes after I sent my boys and their drippy sticky fingers and faces outside and off of my couch…mama’s intuition!

Health Benefits of Watermelon

Allergy-Friendly Watermelon Strawberry Slushies

Ingredients:

• 3 – 4 cups Watermelon, cubed into 2 inch pieces
  • 12 – 15 Strawberries (make ‘em organic), medium sized, cored
  • 2 – 3 cups Ice Cubes
  • 1 cup Water

1. Place all ingredients into blender. Blend for 30 seconds – 1 minute until all ingredients are combined. Serve in frosty glass. Pour remaining slushy into popsicles molds and freeze for at least 1 hour for a frozen treat.

And just in case, I don’t “see” you around here before next week…

May your Fourth of July be full of glittery skies, dripping in exploding rays of lights, and squeals of laughter….from the children and from you.

Does anyone have any fun activities planned for the holiday??

1. On June 28, 2012 Linda said

I think I’ll make this for my kids. I do have organic strawberries(hard to find around here). I do not like watermelon at all. Does it taste much like watermelon?

Linda

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Linda, you can use another melon if you don’t like watermelon, or you can also just use far more strawberries than melon and then it will taste like the berries! Hope you guys enjoy! ;)

2. On June 28, 2012 Sarena said

This looks perfect to beat the heat! I actually bought a watermelon a few weeks ago that wasn’t that great for eating…this would have been a perfect save thought. I hope you have an incredible 4th and enjoy your family time!

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, Sarena!! Have a great holiday! I am sure it will be awesome since you will be back with your boys! :D

3. On June 28, 2012 Alta said

SO perfect for the heat! Yum yum!

4. On June 28, 2012 glutenfreehappytummy said

oh those sound so refreshing! yum!

5. On June 28, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

Wow, those look incredible! That photo is stunning, Kim. You know I want one of these … although I might be tempted to add tequila to mine if enjoying it while eating crabs with Mr. GFE. ;-) I think that would negate the healthiness factor though. :-( Anyway, thanks for this wonderful recipe and yay, for mama’s intuition!

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, you and I are on the same wavelength! Except I added a splash of vodka to mine after dinner the other night. LOL This would be perfect while eating crabs!! Wish we could do that again…very, very, very SOON!! xoxo

6. On June 28, 2012 Shannon Brown said

I love watermelon so this is a must try. They’re forecasting near 110 degrees tomorrow for Nashville so I may need this very soon.

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shannon, you and us both! We are getting 110 degrees this week too. BLECK! :( Hope you guys are staying cool and inside!

7. On June 28, 2012 Maggie said

Oh Kim, my mouth is totally watering! I love this idea and I’m betting the kids would love it too! And yes, I will make sure they eat it outside :)

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Maggie!! Plus, there is just something about summer and Popsicles that goes too well with the outdoors. I always remember eating them outside when I was a kid!:)

8. On June 28, 2012 Jackie nevard said

So quick and easy. My 3 year old LOVES watermelon and he has now been cleared from his strawberry allergy! : )

9. On June 28, 2012 Alisa said

Oh my dear, this is my favorite summer fruit combo! Watermelong and strawberries are amazing together and I make an ALMOST identical slushy. Except, I add a touch of lime, which I highly recommend. I think you would love it :)

• On June 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, I have to laugh because I actually was thinking, while i was drinking mine, that a hint of citrus from a lemon, lime, or even an orange would have been a perfect addition. Now I am totally trying it with lime next time!! :D you are so smart!!
      Xo

10. On July 1, 2012 gluten free gift said

Up here in Canada it’s sweltering too… and we don’t have AC… so this looks particularly AWESOME – love the simplicity (and really liked how you spelled out the nutritional benefits of the ingredients)… while enjoying the taste, we can also enjoy the virtue of choosing this great recipe. I’m off to buy a watermelon :)

11. On July 2, 2012 Kim said

This looks so refreshing! Have to make it this week. Just wanted to let you know too I love your site. My daughter and I were on an elimination diet not too long ago to see which foods we were allergic/sensitive too and I came here to find recipes to help make it go smoothly. Thanks!

12. On July 5, 2012 Heather @Gluten-Free said

What a refreshing recipe! I’ve made a similar “recipe” by just pureeing watermelon. But I love your addition of strawberries. Delightful!

13. On July 9, 2012 Carol said

Oh my – sounds so refreshing and my favorite summer combo. I hope you had a lovely Fourth with your gorgeous family!

14. On July 25, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ooh! Amy, you are so right. The inner rind of watermelon has lots of good nutrient benefits to it. The same goes for the core of a pineapple too.

1. [...] Watermelon-Strawberry Slushies from Cook it Allergy-Free [...]

2. [...] are also licking lots of our Watermelon Slushy Pops … (and YAY for Mom who finally learned the hard way that these are best consumed [...]

3. [...] Healthy Watermelon Slushies [...]