Mar

I Will Convince You Yet…To Grow Some Veggies

How to Start a Vegetable Garden

Okay. I am going to try and convince you, once again, why you should at least try and grow a few of your own fruits and veggies…no matter what your climate is like or how much space you have to do it.

Are you ready for my Reasons for why I think you should (and Can) grow your own vegetables..I have 9 of them…

1. There is a type of garden available for any climate, any space, and any gardening ability. Trust me.

No space? How about Container Gardening for even the smallest of patios/porches? Here are some beautiful Cedar Raised Beds-you can pick your size and layout to fit your space.

No Yard? Not even a patio? How about some Vertical Gardening?

Outdoors not an option? How about some Indoor Gardening?

2….

Okay. I know I am teasing you here. But since, by now, I have hopefully piqued your interest, you need to go get my reasons #2-9 over on my post at The Balanced Platter today.

I do promise you this one thing…I believe in you. You. Can. Do. It.

Because if I can….Mrs Black Thumb herself…then ANYONE CAN DO IT!

But. Go decide for yourself. :)

How to start your own vegetable garden

1. On March 15, 2012 Sarena said

I’m really hoping I get some great stuff from our two raised garden beds this year. I’m gonna try my hardest! I really want some HUGE vine ripened tomatoes this year.

• On March 20, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Sarena, I cannot wait to hear how those beds turn out for you! I am envisioning some ginormous tomatoes for you!! ;)

2. On March 15, 2012 Elizabeth said

no excuses…I agree with you totally.
    Even if one cannot garden they can always sprout in the kitchen using glass jars!!! It is so gratifying.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

• On March 20, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Elizabeth, you are so right. You can do so much even with indoor gardening on a little window ledge!! ;)

3. On March 15, 2012 InTolerant Chef said

I love my garden! It gives so much and really requires so little.
    Everyone can grow something, its so easy (and delicious)
    I have raised beds where the bulk of my veggies are grown
    I have half wine barrels where I grow my fruit trees surrounded by herbs
    I have big pots with things like potatoes, peanuts, rosella bushes
    I have car tyres which are home to pumpkins and squash plants
    I have vertical growing bags on the fence with soft lettuces
    And…
    I have plain old dirt where I let things that spread like strawberries, mint, asparagus, rhubarb, go wild and establish a permanent home
    And my garden is not big at all!

• On March 20, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Oh my goodness, InTolerantChef! I would love to see your garden!! It sounds absolutely AMAZING!! And I completely agree with your statement of how it gives SO much and requires SO little. Thank you so much for sharing all of the wonderful things you have going on in your garden!! ;)

4. On March 18, 2012 gluten free gift said

We are all over this – and coming spring our patio (we don’t have a garden as we live in a commercial building)… is going to have trellis for peas, and lots of containers for tomatoes, peppers, herbs etc. Growing your own veggies is pure empowerment!!

• On March 20, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Gluten Free Gift, it is totally amazing how much you can grow in such a small space. That was my point of my post. You can really do it anywhere!! ;)

5. On March 20, 2012 Val said

Ok, the cream cheese recipe is next but I saw this post and had to say growing your own veggies is so rewarding, you get to decide excatly how your food is handled and it is AMAZING how much stuff you can get into a small space. I especially like companion planting (carrots with tomatoes / beans with corn and squash, etc.). Here in Illinois where the weather this past week has been phenomenal I have been able to get all my cold weathter greens started in pots and they are already sprouting up!

• On March 20, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Val!! I got hooked on to gardening and now I cannot even imagine not growing our own veggies. It is so rewarding and such a treat for my children to get to reap the rewards as well!! And I am a huge fan of companion gardening too. I love sitting down and planning out my garden each season based on what grows well next to what! ;) So glad you found my site and hopefully you will be able to find some helpful information and answers here!! :) Welcome to Cook It Allergy Free, Val!

6. On March 21, 2012 Diane Eblin-thewhole said

I love growing a garden. Mine changes every year as I figure out what grows where. There is nothing like the feeling of picking your food outside and then coming in and making a meal. This year I may try the vertical garden.