…at least I hope they will eat it. Hmmm. Perhaps I better cross my fingers on this point.
But my kids seem to really like this…so I think yours could too!
The reasons I think my kids find this salad fun is because it is:
Sweet. Crunchy. Tangy. Purple. Did I already say Sweet? And Purple?
Oh. And parents will like it because:
It only has a few ingredients. It is super easy to throw together. And it is super-duper healthy.
Did you know about all of the health benefits of Cabbage? Especially Purple/Red Cabbage?
Well, here are just a few things to get you excited about the possibility (again, fingers crossed) of your kids eating this wonder food:
1. Cabbage is an amazing detoxifier due to abundant amounts of Vitamin C, Sulphur, and other minerals that help it to purify the blood and remove toxins (primarily free radicals and uric acid).
2. Cabbage has wonderful anti-cancer properties, due to over 30 different anti-cancer chemicals identified in it. The most beneficial property is due to the high content of anthocyanins, a class of flavonoids that has been linked to cancer protection.
3. Cabbage is known to boost immunity, due to the high levels of Vitamin E which are known to assist in DNA repair and other metabolic processes, along with developing immunity building properties.
4. Juice from the red Cabbage is known to aid in ulcer and digestive healing because of it’s high levels of the amino acid called glutamine.
Hopefully, some of those above reasons will encourage you to see if your kids will try this salad!
Super Easy 8-Ingredient Cabbage Crunch Salad
- Half of a medium-sized Head of Red Cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Apple (use Fuji for a sweet flavor; use Granny Smith for a tart flavor)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries OR Golden Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds, OR Chopped Pistachios, OR Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, OR Coconut Oil (in liquid state)
- 3 Tbsp Organic Mayonnaise, OR Vegannaise
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar, OR Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt, or more to taste
1. Place sliced Cabbage, Apples, and Cranberries or Raisins in a salad bowl.
2. To blender, add dressing ingredients: Apple Cider Vinegar, Oil, Mayonnaise (or Egg-Free version), Sugar, and Sea Salt. Blend dressing until smooth.
3. Pour dressing over Cabbage mixture. Let sit for at least an hour, or up to overnight, to infuse flavors. This actually gets better the longer it sits. Enjoy.
Okay, now tell me….do you think YOUR kids (or whoever your picky eater might be) would like this?