IT’S A …….. BOY!
No not mine, sillies.
Although, I do already have two of them. Well, three, counting my husband. Geez…four, if you count my dog (who incidentally can be more mature at times than all three of the aforementioned boys).
No. This little boy I am talking about is Amy’s, of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. Her little bambino is set to arrive any second. Literally. And today we are throwing her a SURPRISE virtual baby shower since we cannot give her one in person.
And I am making these Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free Apple Streusel Squares with an amazing Maple Cinnamon Glaze in honor of the event.
These little bite-sized gems are such a treat, with a healthier twist (they lasted all about two seconds in my house). And can so easily be made safe for multiple types of modified diets. Definitely a perfect addition to a baby shower.
Oh. I am not sure if I mentioned this yet. But, this may be a good time to tell you that these treats are totally and completely addicting. Consider yourself warned. If you have no will power, you may not want to make these.
Now. If you just happen to be throwing a baby shower in real life any time soon, we have a rockin’ gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and allergy-friendly menu ready to go for you right here:
- Daily Bites Blog – Chocolate and Vanilla Pudding Parfaits
- She Let Them Eat Cake – Gluten-Free & Vegan Gingersnaps
- Tasty Eats At Home – Grapefruit Salad with Avocado & Jicama
- Lexie’s Kitchen – Dairy-Free Crepe Quiche
- The Spunky Coconut – Lime Pound Cake
- Simply..Gluten-Free – Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Cara’s Cravings – Mushroom Pesto Pinwheels
- Diet, Dessert, and Dogs – “Wine and Cheese” Charlotte
- Alisa Cooks - Smoked Salmon Frittata Bites
- Cook It Allergy Free – Apple Streusel Squares & Maple Glaze
- Gluten Free Life With Jen - Tomato Panzanella Salad
- Miz Helen’s Country Cottage – Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Cybele Pascal – Allergy Free Focaccia Bread
- Silvana’s Kitchen
Okay. Now for these Apple Streusel Squares. But like I said. If you have no self-control or will power…I will repeat what I said above. Do. Not. Make. These.
Gluten-Free Apple Streusel Squares with Maple Cinnamon Glaze
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free; Easily Nut-Free and Egg-Free
- 2 Small Apples (such as Fuji, Braeburn, or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored, and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Superfine Brown Rice Flour (such as Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/3 cup Millet Flour OR Almond Flour
- 1/4 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder, Aluminum Free
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Grapeseed Oil, OR Coconut Oil measured in liquid state
- 1/2 cup Coconut Palm Sugar (or Granulated Sugar)
- 1 Egg (FOR EGG FREE: Mix together in small bowl: 1 1/2 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce with 3/4 tsp additional Baking Powder with 1 Tbsp Warm Water and with 3/4 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer – use mixture where you would add eggs)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour OR Millet Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, measured in liquid state
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Chia Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
Optional Maple Cinnamon Glaze:
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar, whizzed in food processor to match consistency of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch square pan. Toss together Apples, Coconut Sugar, and Cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together until airy: Superfine Brown Rice Flour, Millet or Almond Flour, Arrowroot Starch, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Xanthan Gum, and Sea Salt.
3. In bowl of stand mixer, add: Oil and Coconut Sugar. Beat on medium-high for 1 minute. Add egg (or Egg-replacer) and vanilla. Stop to scrape down sides.
4. Add half of the flour mixture, then all of the apple cider, then the rest of the flour mixture and mix until just blended.
5. Mix together all streusel ingredients until mixture is crumbly. This may make more than you need or want to use. Reserve any extra for another use.
6. Spread half of batter in prepared pan with a spatula. Place prepared apples evenly on batter. Then top apples with remaining half of batter. Sprinkle Streusel topping over top of batter. Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool. Once totally cooled, you can drizzle with glaze (directions below), or if not using glaze, simply cut into into bars.
For Glaze: Whisk together all Glaze ingredients until smooth and thoroughly combined. Drizzle over cooled bars.