Well, I suppose I would be remiss if I did not post a chocolate recipe in honor of Valentine’s Day.
So, I am going to share what I will be serving to all of my love bugs on this day of romance. I posted a version of this recipe a long time ago but it is one of those things that my children ask for again, and again, and…again.
And thank goodness for me…it involves chocolate.
I raised these boys right, I tell ya.
This in-demand Allergy-free Valentine’s Day dessert I am talking about is, of course, Gluten-free Dairy-free Chocolate Fondue (also easily made to be Nut-free as well)!
But do not thank me for this recipe posting. Thank my boys who reminded me of it as we were driving back from our family ski vacation yesterday. I was quizzing them about what I should share with you all for an Allergy-free Valentine’s Day Dessert. This was what they came up with.
It was their choice. So, I declared them brilliant and called it a day. I hope you enjoy it as much as they will.
Oh, and here are some dipper ideas for your fondue:
Fruits: apples, pears, peaches, pineapples, citrus sections, strawberries, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, sliced bananas (can even grill or caramelize them first), dried apples, dried mangoes, or any other dried fruit.
Cakes and Other Treats (all allergy-friendly versions, of course): graham crackers, brownie pieces, marshmallows, cookies, shortbread, biscotti, crystallized ginger chunks, bacon (yup, I said it).
There is no wrong answer for what to dip. Use your imagination. Have fun. Go wild.
Well, not too wild. This is, after all, a family-friendly blog.
Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Fondue
- 6-8 oz of Dark Chocolate (dairy-free and gluten-free) – such as Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate 72% (see Trader Joe’s list of Vegan products) - chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup Sweetened or Unsweetened Mimic Creme (For NUT FREE AND DAIRY FREE: use Full Fat Coconut Milk. If you are not Dairy Free, than you can, of course, use an equal amount of heavy cream)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- A variety of dipping goodies ( In the picture above, I used Organic Strawberries, Organic Cherries, Bananas, Pretzel Sticks, Homemade Gluten Free Brownies, and the most amazing Homemade Marshmallows from Sweet Republic Artisan Ice Cream shop here in Scottsdale, AZ)
1. Warm the Mimic Creme (or Full-Fat Coconut Milk or Heavy Cream) in a heavy bottomed pan until small bubbles begin to form and it comes to a very light boil. Then add the chocolate pieces and gently whisk until melted, smooth, and fully incorporated.
2. Immediately transfer to a fondue pot and keep it heated it with a low flame, or serve straight from the pot (but it will start to thicken and harden after a while this way).
3. Assemble all of your dipping goodies of choice and provide some utensils, such as fondue forks or bamboo skewers, to help you dip (or just use your fingers – especially amongst family)! Enjoy!