Jan

7 Easy Steps to Make Your Own Water Kefir and Why You Should

How to Make Water Kefir

Water Kefir.

Totally Allergy-Friendly. Gluten-free, Dairy-free, and, of course, Egg-free, Nut-free, Soy-free. And most everything else-free, too. It is a wonderful Vegan beverage option.

As I am finishing up my Vision Board for this coming year, I have determined that one of my goals on it is to Make More Kefir, especially Water Kefir, since it is so completely allergy-friendly.

Water Kefir is also so full of health benefits and a wonderful healing beverage:

• It is a natural supplier of various strains of healthy bacteria and yeasts (probiotics) to our digestive tract and can help to bring balance to your inner microflora
  • During the fermentation process, it becomes an excellent source of Vitamins B1, B6, and B12
  • It has a tonifying and cleansing effect on the intestines
  • It is perfect for a Vegan Diet
  • It has antibiotic and anti-fungal properties
  • In addition to the good bacteria and beneficial yeasts, it also contains many vitamins, minerals, and amino acids
  • It strengthens the Immune System
  • It has a cleansing effect on the entire body
  • It helps to eliminate Candida issues
  • It can help to normalize metabolism
  • It helps to treat skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne
  • It can reduce inflammation in the body
  • It can improve the function of the liver
  • It can increase energy levels and lend an overall feeling of good health
  • It is very inexpensive to make

**Do remember that by adding these wonderful live probiotics to your diet, you are going to be changing your internal ecosystem. There may be a brief period where you will experience “die-off” (such as headaches, diarrhea, body aches, etc) as some of the good bacteria replaces the bad bacteria.  You body is just working on eliminating the bad toxins. This does not happen for everyone but it is a possibility. Just add the Water Kefir into your diet slowly and this will help your body to adjust without many side effects.

And it is so so easy to make, dairy-free or dairy-full (you just use Milk Kefir Grains for the Dairy version), that I thought I would teach you all how to do it, so you, too, can possibly make it one of your goals for this year too.

Health Benefits of Water Kefir

7 Easy Steps to Make Your Own Water Kefir:

1.  Order Water Kefir Grains from Cultures for Health or another reputable source.

2.  Gather INGREDIENTS once you rehydrate your Grains after they arrive:

• Quart or half gallon glass jar (I make a half gallon at a time)
  • Plastic Strainer (not metal – kefir grains do not like metal)
  • Wooden Spoon for stirring (not metal)
  • Organic Cane Sugar or Sucanat or Rapadura (see **Sugar Note)
  • Water Kefir Grains.

**Sugar Note: The grains will consume most of the sugar as they ferment. The longer they ferment, the more sugar they will consume.

3.  Dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in a small amount of hot water in your jar (cut amount of sugar in half if making by the quart). Then cover dissolved sugar with enough cool water to almost fill half gallon jar (leaving about 2 inches unfilled at top) and stir with wooden or plastic spoon.

Spring water with good mineral content is preferable (instead of filtered or Reverse Osmosis water). If using tap water, however, you need to remove chlorine first by placing it in a bowl and letting the water sit over night – chlorine will evaporate. If using filtered water, you may want to add a few drops of liquid minerals back into the water (grains thrive on the minerals), such as Vital Earth Fulvic Minerals or add a half (rinsed) pastured egg shell to the jar.

Cultures For Health

4. Add 1/2 cup of kefir grains (use 1/4 cup if making in quart size jar) to room temperature water. Cover jar tightly with towel and then a rubber band to secure it in place.

**Kefir grains can multiply.  A good ratio to remember is: 1/2 cup grains to half gallon water to 1/2 cup sugar. Cut amount in half for quart size containers.

5. Let kefir culture at room temperature for 24 – 48 hours. The longer you let it sit, the less sweet it will become as the grains consume more of the sugar. I find that just over 48 hours is good. Bubbles may appear as it cultures. This is normal (although does not always happen). If your family is used to a sweet flavor, start with a shorter period of time (like 24 hours) the first time, then try letting the grains culture a bit longer for each new batch.

**There is a small amount of alcohol that is produced as the microbes feed on the sugar and produce lactic acid, alcohol (ethanol), and carbon dioxide. This is what causes the bubbles/carbonation. The alcohol content in kefir varies with the fermentation time, and is usually less than 1% .

6. Strain off the finished liquid into another container using a plastic strainer (remember-grains do not like metal), once you are done culturing the grains, and cover with an airtight lid. At this point, rinse your grains thoroughly and you can use them to begin your next batch.

Vegan Beverage

7.  Now you can flavor your prepared Water Kefir (or just leave it as is).

FLAVOR OPTIONS:

Cream Soda: Add 2 Tbsp of Good Quality Vanilla per half gallon to your Prepared Water Kefir

Fresh Fruit-Flavored: Add your choice of fresh organic fruit to your prepared Water Kefir. Change fresh fruit out every day and replace with new fresh fruit. Good choices (either alone or combined) are: strawberries, orange slices, kiwi slices, mango slices, sliced grapes, lemon slices, etc).

Dried Fruit-Flavored: Add your choice of dried organic fruit to your prepared Water Kefir. Change dried fruit out every seventh day.

Fruit Slushie:  Blend your prepared Water Kefir with fresh fruit and ice cubes for a refreshing treat. Strawberries and kiwi are favorite combination in our house.  Or add Water Kefir to your favorite smoothies in place of your liquid.

Cucumber Lemon Mint: Add Cucumber Slices + Mint Leaves + Lemon Slices to your prepared Water Kefir. Change out the fruit every 24 hours.

Ginger Lemon Flavored: Add 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice to prepared Water Kefir + lemon slices + 4 Tbsp grated fresh Ginger, and 1 Tbsp Good Quality Vanilla

To sum it up, Kefir is a wonderful healing aid. It provides so many benefits to our health and well-being. And for something that is so easy to prepare, we really should have no excuse for including it into our diets more often.

And it goes along perfectly with this month’s theme for Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free being hosted by Maggie, from She Let Them Eat Cake.

Foods That Heal

Her chosen theme, and incidentally, one of my favorite topics of all: Foods That Heal.

She will be sharing information from wonderful bloggers that bring us ideas on how to bring health and nourishment to our bodies, our minds, and our souls.

I would definitely say that Kefir is right up there in that category. I am encouraging you to give it a try and come back and let me know if it helped to improve your health in any way!

Cook It Allergy Free App

1. On January 25, 2012 Cara said

Wow, Kim, this is quite the lesson! I’ve never heard of drinking keffir water. Now one final question, how much should we aim to drink per day?

• On January 25, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Cara, I would start slow with it just to let your body adjust. But then you can build up to a few cups of it a day. I will drink about 16 oz of it per day and the kids usually will drink about 8 or more, depending on the flavor of the day and their mood. I never force them to drink it because I want them to keep thinking it is a treat. LOL

2. On January 25, 2012 Ariana Anderson said

This looks great. How does it taste though on its own and flavored?

• On January 25, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Ariana! I always add a bit of vanilla to it, so it does taste a bit like a cream soda. And once you flavor it, it tastes like a slightly carbonated version of whatever fruits you are flavoring it with!! :)

3. On January 25, 2012 Carol said

I never heard of water Kifer before but now I think I need to make some! What else is that vision board going to have in store for us? I can’t wait!

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ahh..Carol. I am going to get you to make a vision board one of these days. I promise. LOL But..from what your email said earlier, I am thinking I would really LOVE what yours would have on it. :)
      And you should totally make some of this. Super easy and knowing you, you would have it flavored with something awesomely delicious and creative! xo

4. On January 25, 2012 Jeannie Wilson said

Wow Sweetheart. You never cease to amaze me. I too have never heard of Kefir water. I will look into it. I add Kefir to our smoothies every morning and get good reviews – now I will think of making my own water. Thanks. You are keeping me on my toes.

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Mom. I did not have any grains going when you were here. I was on a real kick with it for a while but now I am getting back into again. You should go order some! I think you guys would really like it! xox

5. On January 25, 2012 Sarena said

I’m sold with trying it. Does it have to be drank unheated or could you bake with it? Just curious if heating it will kill the good stuff. The fruit sweetened options sounds so good!

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Sarena, I am sure you can use it in baking but I have a feeling that the cultures will not still be live. But it would totally be worth a try to use it to replace water in a recipe. :)

6. On January 25, 2012 Maggie said

This is so awesome Kim! I’ve never heard of water kefir but I love it already. Those benefits are too amazing to pass up. Thank you so much for sharing this informative post for Foods That Heal! xo

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, this would be a great beverage for you guys. It is great to sip on all day long or to use in place of your liquid in your regular smoothies! If you get some grains, you will have to let me know what you think of it!! xo

• On January 26, 2012 Maggie said

Thanks Kim. I was totally thinking I would use it in our smoothies. Livvie LOVES smoothies so I can sneak so much into her that way. Though she is a pretty good little eater. I caught her early enough :) Now to get some grains!

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

LOL, Maggie! I feel the same way about Carson in that I caught him early so I can sneak anything into him. Conner tends to be more picky because I totally catered to him when he was younger. So funny how different you are with the second than the first! I want to write a book about how to raise your first child as if he were your second or third. teehee!! :) Livvie will love this in smoothies. IT adds a great flavor!

7. On January 25, 2012 Ricki said

Amazing. I never knew one could get water kefir–I thought it had to be dairy! I would love to try this out. So, is it sweet once it’s ready? Or is it sort of like kombucha that way?

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ricki, the longer that you let if ferment, the less sweet it gets as the “grains” consume the sugar. But I would not let it go for longer than 72 hours. It does not have to be overly sweet at all. And a nice way to enjoy it that does not taste sweet is to add cucumber slices, mint, and lemon slices to the water after you have removed the grains!

8. On January 25, 2012 Veggie V! said

This sounds awesome! I’m always jealous of my friend who drinks keiffer everyday, and I’ve tried the coconut milk version, but I didn’t really like it. Im excited to give this a try :)

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi VeggieV! I like the flavor of this far more than coconut milk kefir. ANd you can customize it to whatever flavors would be your favorite! Hope you enjoy it! :)

9. On January 25, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

I’ve heard of water kefir (as well as dairy kefir) but still don’t completely understand it really. They are called grains, but they aren’t really grains, right? They talk about it being bacteria on the site you recommended, but it shows that the only ingredients are sugar and water. So that baffles me. And should kefir be consumed by anyone with candida issues? Just curious in case I share this post on FB.

Thanks, Kim! xo,

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, the grains are gluten-free and are a combination of bacteria and yeast. They are a different strains of bacteria than kombucha, but are basically the same concept. Water kefir is actually beneficial to people that are dealing with candida issues, but you should really start slowly since the kefir could possibly cause die-off side effects. And Thia is totally right. If you are really sensitive to certain types of yeast, such as bakers and brewers, you would probably not want to drink kefir. I love all of the questions people are raising!

• On January 26, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

Thanks, Kim! This area is one I know very little about. Oh, and I detest kombucha. LOL I’m willing to try this, but not sure if I’m willing to make it yet. Maybe Mr. GFE and I need to make a return trip to AZ? ;-) Just not in The Beast II!

• On November 25, 2012 Lori said

I have just ordered my Kefer grains (both water and milk) from Culters for health. I am so excited to start this process. I had to wait because I was going to be gone for a long streach, so in the mean time I stared drinking KeVita water and I love it so I am worried I won’t be able to make mine taste as good. It is a little spendy, but I feel so great when I am drinking it that it is worth it. I make a smoothy in the AM with milk kefer and fruit and then drink a KeVita during the day. I don’t think the qverage American can get enough good bacteria to counter act all the processed crap we have put in our bodies. I also eat lacto fermented vegetables with most meals.

Thank you for such an easy to follow guide!
          Lori

10. On January 25, 2012 Lexie said

AWESOME! Always wanted to give this a try!!

11. On January 26, 2012 Thia said

Shirley- the “grains” get fed with the sugar water. The “grains” themselves are a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast, much like kombucha, only shapped different due to a different combination of bacteria and yeasts.

From what I have read, folks with candida can do well on it. However, those with issues with bakers and brewers yeast should know, it does contain Saccharomyces cerevisiae. I learned of my bakers and brewers yeast issues after drinking water kefir daily for near two years. I’m doing much better now that I no longer drink it. (to be fair, though, I eleminated several other offending foods from my diet as well.)

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thia, this is awesome information! THank you so much for answering some of Shirley’s questions! Very good advice. :)

• On January 26, 2012 Shirley @ gfe said

Thanks so much, Thia! Good to know!

• On January 6, 2013 SV said

Hi Shirley, how do i figure out if I have candida issues? any particular symptoms I should look out for?

12. On January 26, 2012 Deanna said

Excellent post! I’ve been meaning and meaning to order some kefir grains. This may be the kick in the pants I need to do it. Of course, that means I also need a plastic strainer – though I bet I could use my nut milk bag instead, yes?

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Deanna! I love to give kicks in the pants. LOL And you can TOTALLY use your nut milk bag to strain the grains. I have even used my muslin cloth to strain them.

13. On January 26, 2012 Kalinda said

Add me to the list of people who didn’t know you could make kefir from water. I love kombucha though. This sounds like a fun kitchen experiment.

• On January 26, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Kalinda! If you love Kombucha, I think yo will really like the Water Kefir. My kids like this far more than they like kombucha (and to be honest, so do I)! :)

14. On January 26, 2012 Naomi Devlin said

Fantastic post – so simple and inspiring! I have been meaning to supplement my beet kvass intake with some water kefir for ages and now you’ve given me the push I need. Thank you! I love the idea of making cream soda with vanilla.

x x x

15. On January 26, 2012 InTolerant Chef said

I hadn’t heard of a water based kefir before, very interesting indeed!

16. On January 27, 2012 Heidi said

Thanks for the lesson Kim…and for the reminder that I have some water kefir grains in my pantry from Cultures for Health that I’ve been meaning to make for, oh…the past year!

So let me ask, how did you like it, flavor wise? Is it tart like Kombucha?

• On January 27, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Heidi, it is definitely not like Kombucha in flavor. My kids cannot stand Kombucha, but this they actually like. And depending on how long you culture it for depends on how sweet it is. The longer it sits, the less sweet it gets as the grains consume more of the sugars. I usually stop mine after 48 hours.

17. On January 27, 2012 Kristen said

I’d love to try this but I don’t eat cane sugar–do you think agave would work? Thanks!

• On January 27, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Kristen. You may have success trying it with raw organic honey or pure maple syrup or even coconut sugar. The grains thrive on the minerals in the sugars and I do not think that agave has enough of a mineral content. But you can definitely give it a try! I would be anxious to hear what your results are!

• On January 3, 2013 Kez Croz said

Just a quick comment, water kefir does not work in raw honey because of the “clash of cultures”. Raw honey has it’s own culture and is known as an antibacterial. Water kefir really works best with cane sugar. The darker and less refined, the better! The taste changes too, with the darker sugars, as they contain a greater mineral content.

18. On January 27, 2012 Donna said

My son’s allergy/sensitivities testing came out with some issues with brewer’s and baker’s yeast. Will water kefir not work for him then? I’ve been wanting to get more fermented foods for him. Any suggestions?

• On January 28, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Donna! The grains do contain Saccharomyces cerevisiae which may pose a problem with your son’s sensitivity issues to brewer’s and baker’s yeast. When you are sensitive to yeasts, it can often be better to stay away from fermented foods until you can heal the system. You may want to consider trying to add a yeast-free probiotic supplement into his diet to help colonize his digestive tract with the good bacteria. :)

19. On January 29, 2012 steve said

Wow! this water kafir sounds amazing, Have to give it a try at least once. It can`t go wrong with so many benefits even if it tastes a little bit sweet.

• On January 29, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Steve, you will have to come back and let me know what you think about it if you do end up giving it a try. :) You cannot really go wrong with at least trying it!

20. On January 31, 2012 dori said

So the grains are reusable??? For how many times? Great post and will definitely give it a try!

• On February 1, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Dori! They are reusable over and over. You may soon find you have more grains than you need. If you are going on vacation, you can keep the grains in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, or if you are taking a break for longer you can store them in the fridge. They may need a little recovery period after being in the freezer though. I hope you enjoy the kefir!! Report back and let me know what you think! :)

21. On January 31, 2012 dori said

Oh! Another silly question…what do you do with the grains when you go on vacation, etc? Do you have to start over?

22. On February 1, 2012 Emily said

Wow, this looks fantastic! I can’t have ultra-pasturized dairy, but I can have raw milk. Many times I just would rather not, so this is a great alternative! Would it be possible to use the powdered kefir instead?

23. On February 3, 2012 Wendy said

Can you tell me the brand of Keifer grains you used as well as where you bought them. I have tried 4 stores without success. The only thing I could find was a Keifer starter, but that was made from dairy which falls into the allergens I am avoiding. Thanks.

24. On February 3, 2012 Annette said

We have been drinking water kefir (soda) for about 2 yrs now. It has been so beneficial for my son and his many skin and digestive issues. He craves it sometimes. We drink it plain most often but also like cream soda and ginger flavoreded. I’m very curious to try the cucumber mint.

25. On February 6, 2012 shamon anderson said

how long does the kefir water keep or should it be drank right away? thanks…can’t wait to try it!!

26. On February 7, 2012 Tracy said

Kim, just to clarify, if you are allergic to baker’s yeast or nutritional yeast you shouldn’t drink water kefir???? thanks Tracy

27. On March 19, 2012 Gluten Free Diva said

A friend brought me some homemade Water Kefir (flavored with raisins and dried pineapple) and it is absolutely delicious! I strained out the grains and put the kefir into clean leftover Kombucha jars and am now adding fresh spring water to the grains and starting a new batch. I love this stuff!!!

28. On April 18, 2012 Susan Fung said

I got some grains a few weeks ago. Because they grew so rapidly I started to drink more and more of my water kefir. I seem to be getting more achy. Is this good or bad? Is this a die-off reaction or an indication I should not drink it at all. So confusing !

• On April 18, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Susan! It is entirely possible that you may be experiencing a die-off reaction. You should probably go back to drinking only a little each day and then slowly increase your intake (the key will be slowly). Then see how you are feeling. It may just be your body ridding itself of toxins. If it does it too quickly, you will feel flu-like and achy.
      Also, by any chance, are you sensitive to yeast? If so, you may be experiencing a reaction because of it.
      Keep me posted on how you are feeling!
      Good luck..
      Kim :)

29. On April 22, 2012 Jocelyn said

I am interested to try this (found it thanks to Pinterest). I have a few questions though that I have not seen answers to in the comments. 1. Once you have strained off the grains, how long does the water last? Do you need to refrigerate it after straining? 2. I live in the bush in Alaska and it is VERY difficult to get fresh fruits and vegetables. I have found that we really enjoy freeze dried fruits and veg but I am not sure how they would work in the Water Kefir, any thoughts? Would it be better to use essential oils instead?

• On April 23, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Jocelyn! I find that when I have fresh fruits in the water, I typically change out the fruit every day but the reserved water can last for quite a few days. I typically store mine in the refrigerator once I have strained off the grains. If you are unable to get fresh fruits and veggies, do you have access to frozen ones? You can always use frozen produce as well. I am thinking that the freeze dried fruits and vegetables might dissolve in the water? Edible essential oils would be a wonderful addition to your water though! Does this answer your questions? Feel free to ask more if you need to!

30. On May 11, 2012 Joc said

Hi and thanks for this post! I’ve been trying to brew my own kefir for a few weeks and I’m not having much luck… I have no idea if it’s working. But I’ve not given up yet! I currently have a batch mixed with black cherry juice for a second fermentation and I’m hoping that will let it bubble up and improve the flavor I’m getting.
    I read in your comments that you suggest honey as a sugar option and I wanted to give you the warning that because of honey’s antibiotic properties, it shouldn’t be used with kefir. You CAN use it, but you’ll eventually have to change out your grains as the honey will kill them. Also, in response to the gal who doesn’t have access to fresh fruit very often, you can use dried fruit in your fermentation process and then it doesn’t have to be changed out every day. My source for all this info, by the way, is the Cultures for Health website. Hope that info helps out a little and thanks again! Great site. :)

31. On June 22, 2012 Heather said

Hey there!
    Great post, I’m really excited to learn to do this and make it!! I was wondering what types of jars do you recommend and where could I get them and that little pitcher also?
    Thanks,
    Heather

• On June 22, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Heather! I usually use large glass quart mason jars that I just pick up at the grocery store. They seem to work really well and I just place the lid loosely on them as the grains are fermenting. And the large pitcher that I store it in is from SurLaTable! It is in their tea section usually. I believe you can even find them on line too! Have fun making your kefir! Cannot wait to hear how it goes! ;)
      KIm

• On July 2, 2012 Heather said

Thanks Kim! I will have to check that out!

32. On July 5, 2012 Joel Turner said

Thank you for sharing this Kim! I have been looking for other great tweaks to make after straining the kefir. I hadn’t thought about adding vanilla in. Brilliant!

33. On September 28, 2012 Elsie said

I am getting terrible pain in my knees after drinking water keafer for a few weeks. Does anyone know anything about this?

34. On December 13, 2012 Edna said

How do you rinse the kefir grains before starting a new batch? I don’t want to waste the water.

• On December 13, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Edna, I just rinse them over a bowl, through a mesh sieve so that I can re-use some of the water. ;)

35. On December 29, 2012 Chris said

I only have milk kefir grains and recently found out my new (12 months now) asthma and hayfever symptoms may be food intolerances. Took a blood test and, after drinking homemade kefir almost every morning since July, I find out I can’t eat eggs, dairy, nuts, beans, quinoa or oats. Water kefir would be a good way to keep my probiotics up, but I only have milk kefir grains. It appears I can’t use those for water kefir?

36. On January 6, 2013 Jackie said

I have been drinking Water Kefir for about 3 months
    And I love it… My digestive works way better now.
    I can sleep with waking up so many times .

37. On February 5, 2013 joanne said

A friend recently gave me some live kefir grains and I wanted to share her recipe – makes 1/2 gallon in glass mason jar with plastic lid:
    ~6.5 cups filtered water – leave room at top
    1/3 cup live water kefir grains
    1/2 cup organic Rapadura sugar (whole sugar with molasses)
    2 dried organic pineapple rings – torn into 4 pieces
    2-3 dried organic figs
    5-6 pieces candied ginger
    Combine everything in glass jar with plastic lid. Leave in cupboard for 48 hrs., then check to see if “done”. Strain fruit and grains out, put in refrigerator.

I’ve followed this recipe and put the kefir water into the refrigerator after fermenting for 48 hours. It tastes really good at first, a little sweet with carbonation, but after a short time, it becomes too alcoholic for me. I don’t like the taste of alcohol at all, but could tolerate the slightest of taste when there was sweetness to balance it out. It seems to continue fermenting in the refrigerator even though the kefir grains have been strained out. I get an “alcohol flush’ which is genetic and would like to keep the alcohol to an absolute minimum. Does that happen to your water kefir? Any solutions to this issue?
    Thanks!

38. On February 5, 2013 ray said

I would like to know if I could use maple syrup instead of sugar?

Thanks, Ray

• On February 7, 2013 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Ray, You can definitely use the maple syrup instead of sugar. The grains actually like and feed on the minerals in the maple syrup.. :)
      Enjoy!

• On February 10, 2013 Ray said

Thanks Kim. I have another question. If some of the grains in your kefir float to the top while it’s fermenting is that bad or good?

Thanks, Ray

39. On July 15, 2013 Georgie said

Hi, thanks so much for your article!

I have been making and drinking water kefir for the last few months and finding that my stomach really loves it!

However I get the worst, almost blinding headaches from it. Initially I thought it was just the ‘die off’ effect everyone talks about but it has lasted too long now to cope with!

I was thinking maybe milk kefir might not give me such a bad headache?

Any comments would be much appreciated because I would love to continue with the kefir!
    Thanks :)

40. On July 22, 2013 lemea said

Hi, I recently made my first batch of water kefir. During first fermentation I forgot about it and let it sit for 7 days… When I finally got the time to make it, the liquid was still very bubbly in the jar, so I strained it off and put in a bottle for second fermentation.
    However, everything I can find online says not to leave the grains for more than 72 hours but nowhere explains why… what is the reason you should not let your kefir grains sit for longer and will my kefir (left for 7 days!) still be ok to drink?
    Any advice would be great!
    Thanks :)

41. On September 24, 2013 Brooke said

Can you give water and/or milk kefir to kids? My son is 17 months.

42. On September 30, 2013 melba harris said

where do I get kefir grains and what is the difference in kefir and kombucha.how do I get a start of kombucha and kefir?

43. On January 26, 2014 peggy said

Does the suger have to be organic or will just regular suger be OK also got my grains out with metal spoon after rehydrating them, just wasent thinking, did this ruin them?

1. [...] from Cook It Allergy Free introduced many of us to the benefits of adding Water Kefir to your [...]

2. [...] I’ll get all 50 projects done someday. I’ve also found some interesting recipes for water kefir that I’m really interested in [...]

3. [...] your Water Kefir – Water kefir is so simple to make and is a natural supplier of various strains of healthy bacteria and yeasts (probiotics) to our [...]

4. [...] 7 Easy Steps to Make Water Kefir [...]

5. [...] flavor is somewhat sweet and lends itself to fruit and tangy recipes alike. This article has lots of great [...]