This decadent gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and easily nut-free Salted Caramel Apple Pie was made once again in our house this weekend because I just had to test them out just one more time for our final week of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free’s Gluten-Free Holiday event.
I make such sacrifices for you all! 😉
This week is all about everyone’s favorite part of the holidays…Desserts! And, of course, we have a great round-up of gltuten-free, allergy-friendly goodies.
This week’s host is the adorable, amazing Maggie, of She Let Them Eat Cake! She is sharing Gingerbread Cupcakes that I assure you you will want to try. They look stunning…I will be making those with the kids for sure.
She also has a gift for two of you. She is giving away two fabulous cookbooks.
The Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free, by Karen Morgan:
And Simply…Gluten Free Desserts, by Carol Kicinski:
So go check them out and enter to win, and link up a favorite Holiday Dessert, if you have one!
Okay, so about this Gluten-free, Grain-free, Dairy-free Salted Caramel Apple Pie...
It is naughty. But only a little bit naughty. It is decadent. It is sweet. But not in a too-syrupy kind of way. It is super easy to make. It is one of my favorite indulgences this time of year.
But wait. It is also a bit healthy. Well, at least healthier than a gluten-filled, grain-filled, dairy-filled version. And, if you count those 9 health benefits of apples (and just ignore the fact that they are smothered in salted caramel yumminess) then, I would go ahead and say…dig in, my friends!
But, hey. The holidays are for allowing yourself a special treat here and there. So do not hate me. In fact, I dare you to make them. I think you will really love me once you do.
And then you will apologize for any mean thoughts you had about me for forcing this on you.
A few notes about this Gluten-free, Grain-free, Dairy-free pie:
1. You can also just make these as bars, instead of a pie, in an 8 x 8 baking dish. I actually made this in a tart pan this time. They are very versatile.
2. I use an almond flour press-in crust for the recipe, but you can EASILY make this nut-free by using the press-in cookie crust that I note at the bottom of the recipe.
3. If you are short on time and are not dairy free, Trader Joe’s has a wonderful Salted Caramel Sauce that you can use in place of this homemade sauce.
4, This recipe is a very simple one to put together. But it has an incredible WoW factor that makes it look really difficult! A good way to impress your guests.
5. And, like I said above, you will love me when you make this. 😉
Salted Caramel Apple Pie (or Bars)
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, EASILY Nut-Free
Pie Crust (For NUT-FREE pie crust see **NOTE** at bottom of recipe):
- 2 Cups Almond Meal
- 7 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted, OR Butter, Melted, OR Earth Balance Vegan Butter, Melted
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 21/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 Cup Full-Fat Canned Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup, Grade B if possible
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Apples, such as Fuji (or for tarter pie, Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. For Crust: Combine all of the ingredients in bowl. With fingertips, press the dough into an 9 inch glass pie plate or tart pan. Dough should be a bit sticky. Try and bring crust up sides gently. Bake the crust at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before adding the filling.
2. For Caramel Sauce: While crust is baking, stir together coconut milk, coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, and salt in a medium heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Whisk continuously and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Watch carefully – do not allow to burn! Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
3. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
4. For Filling: While caramel is cooling, toss apple slices with the juice from the lemons. In medium bowl, mix together Sugar, Cinnamon, and Sea Salt. Drain apples on paper towel, then add to sugar/cinnamon mixture. Add vanilla and toss all together.
5. Assembly: Once crust and caramel has cooled, drizzle 3 – 4 Tbsp of the cooled salted caramel sauce over the base of the crust. Then layer your apple filling evenly over the drizzle of caramel sauce. Lightly drizzle another 3 – 4 Tbsp of the salted Caramel Sauce over the top of the apples and bake in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, lightly place a piece of foil over the top of the pie, making sure the edges of the crust are under foil as well, and bake for 15 minutes more.
6. Drizzle any remaining caramel sauce over top of pie once it comes out of oven. Serve and enjoy!
**NOTE**: To make a Nut-Free Crust, combine 2 cups crushed nut-free, gluten-free cookie crumbs of choice, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 6 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Melted Butter. Mix and proceed as you would for Crust preparation in step 1 of Directions.