Nov

The 4 Best Ways to Boost Your Immune System

How to Boost Your Immune System

How to Boost Your Immune System when everyone else is SICK!

Today I have four really important ways of keeping you and your family healthy during this holiday season.

None of them are very difficult. None of them are overwhelming. And all of them are wonderful ways to keep our immune systems healthy and strong during the season that begs them to be anything but.

Benefits of Bone Broth

4 Ways to Boost Your Immune System This Holiday Season:

1.  Add Homemade Bone Broth to EVERYTHING!

Why? Because Bone Broth:

• Promotes Healing and Support of Gastro-intestinal Disorders
  • Acts as A Digestive Aid
  • Is Packed with Macro-Minerals
  • Is rich in Collagen and Gelatin
  • Can be used in Soup, Cooking Liquid, Sauces, or Tea
  • Is full of Protein and Amino Acids
  • Enhances Joint Support
  • And most importantly, is an amazing Immune System Supporter.

Read my post about the Benefits of Bone Broth for even more information.

2. Sip Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Regularly.

Why? Because Raw Apple Cider Vinegar that has the “mother” still in it:

• Is Rich in Enzymes & Potassium
  • Supports a healthy Immune System
  • Helps to Eliminate Heartburn naturally
  • Helps to Improve Bowel Irregularity
  • Helps to control weight by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them
  • Helps with Joint Pain and Stiffness
  • Helps to Clear Up Skin Conditions
  • Promotes Digestion & ph Balance
  • Helps soothe Dry Throats and Reduce Sinus Infections
  • Helps Balance High Cholesterol
  • Helps to Prevent Against Food Poisoning
  • Helps remove Body Sludge Toxins
  • Helps to Improve Metabolism which encourages Weight Loss
  • Can help to reduce Bad Breath
  • Can be a natural remedy for Diarrhea
  • Potentially helps to reduce the levels of glucose in the blood, thus controlling blood sugar levels
  • Can help alleviate Menstrual Pains
  • Can help reduce appearance of Cellulite

Go read this post on the benefits of  raw Apple Cider Vinegar for even more information.

3.  Focus on Healing the Leaky Gut.

Why? Because a Leaky Gut can be a root cause to a myriad of Health Problems. Here are steps for healing:

• Re-establish internal ecology and healthy intestinal flora with anti-fungals and probiotics
  • Eat fermented foods
  • Address nutritional deficiencies focusing on increasing antioxidant intake
  • Change the diet to incorporate only natural and organic foods
  • Eliminate all processed foods, refined sugars, and refined white flours from the diet
  • Include quality soluble and insoluble fiber into the diet
  • Remove hard to digest proteins such as gluten and dairy from the diet
  • Add in digestive enzymes to the diet to aid in proper food breakdown
  • Enhance the mucosal lining of the stomach
  • Increase consumption of essential fatty acids
  • Avoid Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and antibiotics whenever possible
  • Try a Rotation Diet
  • Increase Vitamin C Intake
  • Make Your own BONE BROTH

You can read my post about 15 Tips on How to Heal the Leaky Gut for even more information.

4.  Add As Many Raw Foods to Your Diet As Possible.

Why? Because raw foods are living foods that are full of beneficial enzymes and probiotics. Here are some of my favorite raw foods to easily add to your diet:

• Berries
  • Fresh Green Juices
  • Avocados
  • Chia Seeds
  • Raw Kefir
  • Pumpkin Seeds and Sunflower Seeds
  • Papaya
  • Almonds
  • Coconut Oil and Coconut Cream (in the raw, organic, un-refined state)
  • Cultured Fermented Vegetables, such as Sauerkraut and Kimchi

For why each of these foods are beneficial, read my post about 10 Raw Foods for Digestive and Brain Health.

Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

How do you stay Healthier Through the Holidays?

Allergy Free App

1. On November 3, 2011 Ricki said

Great advice! And I’m right on board with 3 out of 4–not bad, right? (I’ll stick to veggie broth. . . hope that’s okay). ;) I use apple cider vinegar all the time and have been trying to increase my raw food intake as well. . . I always feel SO much better when I do. Thanks for the tips! :)

• On November 3, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Ricki, veggie broth is just perfect! LOL And I agree I do notice a big difference when i focus on ACV and increasing my raw food intake! ;)

2. On November 3, 2011 Hallie @ Daily Bites said

Love your tips, Kim! I think the leaky gut healing is really important for many people, but an easy one to overlook or not focus on…especially during the holidays. Apple cider vinegar all the way! :)

• On November 3, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hallie, I so agree that it is really easy to forget about that poor gut. But just in my own family I have seem the most amazing improvements in health because of the focus we put on healing their guts. ;)

3. On November 3, 2011 Alta said

Great tips, Kim! I actually was thinking this morning how I need to make up another batch of bone broth. Now that it’s colder out (and the season is about to become hectic), I can enjoy a cup every morning. Of course, healing that leaky guy is priority #1!

• On November 3, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Alta! I know. My batch in the freezer has dwindled. It is time to whip up another batch of broth. I put it in everything!

4. On November 3, 2011 Alta said

Oops – gut. Not guy. Don’t know how to heal a leaky guy…not my area of expertise. ;-)

5. On November 3, 2011 Maggie said

I love it Kim! I just can’t do the bone broth. What could replace that? Maybe there’s no replacement? Would love your opinion! Thanks for the great tips. I’ve been adding acv to everything since your post on its benefits! xo

• On November 3, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, the macro-minerals and amino acids are some of the most beneficial parts of the broth, so you can get adequate supplies from dark leafy greens, veggies, whole grains, and beans and lentils. I am pretty sure you and your family score pretty high in that area, LOL!!

• On November 4, 2011 Maggie said

Awesome! Thanks Kim. I think Pete and I are doing awesome, it takes more work to make sure the kiddies are! You know what I mean! Xo

6. On November 3, 2011 Laura @ GFPantry said

Great article! I am going to get my Apple Cider Vinegar out right now…!

7. On November 3, 2011 nicola stockmann said

Wow! So straightforward, but so perfect – as always. Thanks Kim!

8. On November 3, 2011 Sarena said

I am all about raw fruits and veggies lately! I think I’m trying to ward off the funk that both of my boys have brought home from school lately! I need to get the apple cider. I still want to try that.

9. On November 4, 2011 Alisa Fleming said

You are such a wise woman. I need my husband to follow this advice!

Hmm, but can I just add that ACV to my salad dressing? Sipping doesn’t sound so lovely :)

10. On November 4, 2011 MishiRN said

Great post!! I have ACV with the “motha” as I like to say, lol I just found out recently though, that Bragg’s (the brand I use) may be cross contaminated with nuts! (I’m severely allergic) There’s no warning label, but I just had a funny feeling, and called to check.:-( They said there were discussing putting an allergen label in the “near future”. Have any other brands you can recommend??
    Also, how much do you drink a day, and do you drink it straight up? I love the idea of fixing a leaky gut…I have Celiac’s, and no matter what I do, I can’t seem to whip my gut into shape…and I eat homemade/natural like 99% of the time, because I’m like the girl in the bubble with all my food allergies/restrictions! (Peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and gluten/lactose intolerant)
    Any help would be awesome!

• On November 4, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi MishiRN! I also like Dynamic Health, Organic Raw ACV with the “motha”! ;) Not sure about their contamination procedures, but they are another company to look at for sure. I usually drink about 1 – 2 Tbsp per day, but not usually all at once. I also add it to whatever I can think of at the end of the cooking process so it stays raws – soups, sauces, salad dressings, etc.
      My husband and my oldest son both have Celiac Disease so I get what you say about eating in a bubble. I would say we probably eat at home 95% of the time just because of the contamination risks. It just makes me feel better and I know we eat WAY healthier because of it. ;)
      Intestinal healing is a truly slow process. I think that it can take up to a year in many adults who have to undo many years of intestinal inflammation and damage. It definitely seems as if that has been the case for my husband.

11. On November 4, 2011 InTolerant Chef said

Great tips. This time of year it’s easy to include more raw foods but it’s something I struggle with in Winter.

• On November 7, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

I agree. It is hard to want to eat raw foods in the winter. Winter just seems like you should eat things that are warm. ;)

12. On November 4, 2011 Carol, SGF said

Such a great post and great advice!
    c

13. On November 7, 2011 Diane Eblin-thewhole said

I just love how you look out for us. These are all amazing tips. Each one completely doable with just a little forethought and not a lot of extra work. I can do these even with my crazy schedule. I know if I do, my immune system will thank me and you! Great post.

• On November 7, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Aww…thanks, Diane. I just want people to know that steps towards health and building your immune system can be simple and not completely overwhelming. Plus, I think you already do a pretty darn good job of taking care of yourself and your family!

14. On November 8, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

You sure can pack a LOT into 4 tips, my dearf! And we thank you for it! :-) These are such great reminders. Everyone wants to stay health during the holiday season, and after that, we can still follow these tips and be much better for it!

Thank you! Off to share now … xoxo,

15. On November 9, 2011 glutenfreeforgood said

You’re such a WAP girl! And I couldn’t agree more. Great tips for a strong and healthy immune system. This is perfect timing as we move into winter and the holidays. Thanks, Kim. You’re always a wonderful resource and a girl after my own heart!
    Melissa

1. [...] Most Important Ways to Stay Healthy This Holiday from Cook IT Allergy Free [...]

2. [...] 4 Most Important Ways to Stay Healthy this Holiday from Cook it Allergy Free [...]