I was not originally going to blog about these Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Apple Puff Pancakes….mainly because it calls for 6 eggs and I have never been able to successfully convert a recipe to an egg-free version when it calls for anymore than 3 eggs. And also because, I made these at 6 am and had no good lighting in my kitchen for photos.
And because I am Cook It Allergy Free, and because, like my tagline says, I specialize in Customizing Recipes to Work With Your Food Allergies, I rarely post a recipe that can not be converted to be allergen-friendly for most of the common allergens.
But…with that being said, my family still declared that I needed to post this one.
So, if you need to be egg-free, I apologize that this recipe cannot be converted to be allergen free for you. Blame this on my boys…all three of them. Just skip this recipe (or send it on to a friend who does eat eggs). I promise I will be back soon with an apple recipe that takes NO eggs at all and will be perfect just for you, my wonderful egg-free readers.
I will also add here that to make this recipe grain-free, I use Almond Flour as part of the blend (mixed with a tablespoon of Coconut Flour). This, however, can be easily converted to be Nut-Free by using an all-purpose gluten free flour blend. I have done that with this recipe many times and it turns out perfectly as well. I note the directions to do this in the recipe.
I am really into apples these days for a few reasons. One, because it is, of course, fall. Two, because I just received a hearty helping of them in my latest Bountiful Baskets delivery . And three, because of their numerous health properties.
The health benefits of apples are what make me feel so good about adding them to our family’s first meal of the day. Here are just some of them:
9 Health Benefits of Apples:
- They are known to be a good source of vitamin C
- They are known to be a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber
- They can help protect our bone health
- They can aid in Diabetes and Weight Management
- They can possibly play a role in preventing Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases
- They can help to lower LDL Cholesterol
- They can help prevent or reduce Asthma, Heart Disease, and Cancers (such as lung, breast, colon, and liver)
- They are an excellent source of Flavanoids and Antioxidants
- They have powerful Anti-inflammatory properties
The apples, along with the vital nutrients gained from the eggs (especially from pastured eggs), and from the almond flour, helps you to feel good about feeding this to your family before you send them off for a productive day.
Dairy Free, Grain-Free Apple Puff Pancakes
Also: Refined Sugar-Free and Easily Nut-Free
- 8 Tbsp Coconut Oil, measured in liquid form
- 2 Apples, preferably organic, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 6 eggs, organic and pastured if possible
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk (or regular Milk if not Dairy Free)
- 1 cup Almond Flour, such as Honeyville (For NUT FREE: use 1 cup All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour blend instead)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, finely ground
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place Coconut Oil in bottom of 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Place thinly sliced apples on top of the Coconut oil, then sprinkle the apples evenly with 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Sugar. Place in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes. While apples are in oven do the following:
2. In high speed blender, blend the eggs at high speed for 1 minute. Next add: Coconut Milk, Almond Flour (or Gluten-Free Flour Blend), Coconut Flour, Coconut Sugar, Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Sea Salt. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove baking dish from oven and pour batter evenly over apple mixture. Place back in middle rack of oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until pancake is puffed and brown.
4. Serve immediately. Note that the pancake will start to fall as it begins to cool. This is normal and what it is supposed to do.