Gluten-Free Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins. A perfect blend of flavors. Trust me on this one.
Cherries and Chocolate were born to go together (at least according to my mind and stomach, which are inextricably connected). They are such a perfect pairing.
I assumed everyone thought the same. But my four year has old proved me wrong…once again.
Prepare yourself here.
He. Does. Not. Like. Chocolate. GASP.
I know. I cannot believe it either.
But, he really will not eat a piece of chocolate. Or pancakes with chocolate chips sprinkled in. Or muffins with chocolate chips in the batter. Or even chocolate cake. Nope.
Along with his Daddy’s blond locks and ocean blue eyes, he has also inherited his desire for savory foods above all things sweet. I have always wished my husband shared my love of chocolate . After all, when you are eating sweets with someone you love, the calories just do not count. But, since he has decided to pass along some strange un-identified savory craving gene to my youngest son, I am left to indulge alone.
So, unfortunately, those calories do count. Every last one of them.
I cannot imagine too many others of you out there feel the same as my son or my husband. Which is why I am sure you will LOVE these muffins and will not need to leave part of the batter sad and chocolate-chip-less like I do in order to appease any aversions.
And as the school year is once again kicking off, these would be a perfect and healthy way to start out a busy morning. They are filled with protein and whole grains and, when paired with some fresh fruit and a piece of bacon or perhaps a hard-boiled egg, you and the kiddos will have a good nutritious and healthy breakfast to start the day.
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup Superfine Brown Rice Flour
- 1 cup Almond Flour (For NUT FREE: Use Quinoa Flour)
- 1/2 cup Millet Flour (or Teff Flour)
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, fine
- 3 Large Eggs (For EGG FREE: Mix together in small bowl: 4 1/2 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce with 2 1/4 tsp additional Baking Powder with 3 Tbsp Warm Water and with 2 1/4 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer – use mixture where you would add eggs)
- 1/4 Cup Virgin Coconut Oil, preferably Organic
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar (or Granulated Sugar)
- 1/2 Cup Plain Coconut Yogurt, such as So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt (or can use Dairy based Plain Yogurt if not avoiding Dairy)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk, such as So Delicious Coconut Milk (or water)
- 1 Cup Pitted and Chopped Fresh Cherries
- 1/2 Cup Allergen-Friendly Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Such as Enjoy Life brand)
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Prepare muffin tin with liners or by lightly greasing each cup. In medium bowl, whisk together until light and fluffy: Brown Rice Flour, Almond (or Quinoa Flour), Millet (or Teff Flour), Arrowroot Starch, Baking Soda and Powder, Xanthan Gum, and Sea Salt.
2. In bowl of stand mixer, add: Eggs (or Egg Replacement), Oil, Sugar, Yogurt, and Milk (or water). Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute.
3. Turn mixer to low, and slowly add Dry Flour Mixture, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix only until blended. Do not overmix. With wooden spoon, stir in: Cherries and Chocolate Chips.
4. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin, about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for about 18 – 20 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Oh PS: In case you’ve noticed, I have not been around much the last month or so. I have been taking a bit of a break from the online world to spend time with my family and just take a bit of a mental vacation from work-related agendas. It has been exactly what I have been in need of. But, with the kids heading out the door to school again next week, my house will once again be quiet and I will be slowly re-emerging into the online world of food blogs, Facebook, Twitter, iPhone App sales, and the likes. The key word here, though, is slowly.
Oh, and make sure to check back next week. I just may have a special treat coming for all of you parents who will be entering lunch-packing mode once again as the school year kicks off! 😉