Do your kids think a birthday is not a birthday unless there is some semblance of a cake or cupcakes?
Mine do. Which is fine…when it is their birthdays. I love getting creative in the kitchen for them.
But when it is mine? I could really take or leave the whole birthday dessert idea. A day off from the kitchen sounds far more appealing to me than adding pounds to my waistline…especially since my Mom is a state away and will not be whipping up one of my childhood favorites this year.
So because my boys think my birthday will be a complete failure without a special dessert involved, I found myself in the kitchen deciding what I would be making to celebrate the year that brings me just another gray hair away from forty….and to make sure that my sons did not garner horrible childhood memories of their mother being totally deprived on her birthday.
So? I first thought about whipping up some Gluten-Free Black Forest cupcakes.
And then I thought about those Gluten-Free Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes that we all love so much around here.
After all, those are the two desserts that I have the fondest birthday memories of and biggest cravings for.
But, as I looked around my kitchen and found my eyes resting on the gorgeous pile of plums waiting for their destiny, I decided to get creative and create a new memory. After all, those juicy plums will not be available for much longer as their prime season starts to fade away into fall.
So, I am making Mini Gluten-Free and Dairy Free Plum Crumbles. They are also Refined Sugar Free, Egg Free, and Soy Free. Yippee!
My boys might balk. After all. There is no frosting.
But, hey. If they complain?…….All the more for me.
This recipe is actually my gift to you. Trust me. You will enjoy it. And you will be really glad I did not decide on cupcakes this year. You will not even miss that frosting.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Plum Crumbles
Also: Refined Sugar Free, Egg Free, and Soy Free
- 4 Medium Sized Red or Black Plums, just barely ripe
- 4 tsp All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Blend (I used Pure Pantry All Purpose Mix here)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil – measured, for this purpose only, in solid form – **See Note below (OR Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, cold and cut into pieces; OR if not avoiding dairy, Organic butter, cold and cut into pieces)
- 1/2 cup Certified Gluten Free Rolled Oats (or equal amounts Quinoa Flakes if you are sensitive to Oats)
- 1/4 cup Almond flour (For NUT FREE: use additional 1/4 cup of your gluten free flour blend instead)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour blend (I used Pure Pantry’s All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons ground Chia seeds, or Flax meal (optional, but nice addition of Omega 3′s)
- 1/3 cup Palm sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease four 6 oz Ramekins. In small bowl, mix together filling ingredients: Plums, 4 tsp Flour Blend, Coconut Palm Sugar, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Divide evenly between your ramekins.
2. In another bowl add your chilled Coconut oil (or Butter or Butter Alternative), Certified Gluten Free Oats, Almond flour, 1/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, Ground Chia or Flax Meal (if using), Coconut Palm Sugar, and Sea Salt. Use a pastry blender (or a fork) to crumle/cream your ingredients together until coarse meal forms.
3. Divide topping evenly among each ramekin. This makes a lot of topping. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes (filling may bubble over – you can line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up, if desired). If you like a crispy top, you can turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes at the very end, but watch VERY carefully if you do this so it does not burn!
**Note: Measurements for Coconut Oil should typically, in most baking recipes, be measured in liquid form for the correct volume measurement.
Oh yes. This turned out to be the perfect dessert. Happy Birthday to me. Definitely.