I admit it. I have a hard time keeping up with my normal blogging schedule when the kids are home for summer. I have wanted to share this recipe for Gluten Free Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes with you for a while now.
I think it really is due to the fact that I do not budget my time properly. Or at all, for that matter.
But, it is summer. And we are having fun. And a lot of it.
So, I am not making excuses. I am just looking for ways to get in and out of the kitchen fairly quick these days.
Most of our meals have been coming off of the grill or from a quick flash in the pan on the stove-top.
This is mainly because my husband has officially turned on his “Do Not Turn On the Oven” sign. Now that we have officially reached the triple digits outside, he deems the oven as off limits until we dip back down into the 90′s.
Okay. He does not really have a sign…Yet. But you can bet your oven mitts that one of these days, with all of the times that I break his rule, there will be one soon. And he will probably have it made…in Neon Lights. And it will probably be obnoxiously big.
And because he rarely reads my blog, I will make an admission. I am going to say it here…he is right. GASP! The oven really does heat the house up entirely too much during the summer.
But. Do. Not. Ever. Tell. Him. I. Said. So. Ever.
Okay. I feel better now that I have gotten that off of my chest.
So about this recipe…I have been making a version of this for years. And recently, the April issue of Cooking Light had a very similar recipe to the one I have been making all of this time. It inspired me to whip it up again (especially since my yellow tear-drop tomatoes in my garden are growing faster than we can eat them). It is so easy to throw together. And as you can see, it also makes an absolutely beautiful and colorful side dish.
Oh, and my friend AndreAnna, from Life as a Plate, marinates her tomatoes overnight in balsamic vinegar for her Balsamic Grilled Cherry Tomato Salad and I think that would be absolutely brilliant in this recipe as well! The next time I make this, I am using her method.
Grilled Asparagus With Balsamic Tomatoes
Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Easily Dairy Free
- 1 pound Asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt, divided
- 2 cups Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Crumbled Goat Cheese (FOR DAIRY FREE: simply omit Goat Cheese)
1. Preheat Grill to High Heat. Place Asparagus in bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil and 1/2 tsp of Sea Salt. Place Asparagus cross-wise across grill grates (or place on Vegetable Grilling Tray) and grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes, or desired tenderness. Remove to serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm while making tomatoes.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Tomatoes and Garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in Balsamic Vinegar and cook for 2 minutes more. Add in remaining salt.
3. Top Asparagus with Tomato mixture. Then top with Goat Cheese, if using. Serve.
Oh…and make sure to check back next week. I have a fun, fast, and easy Red, White, and Blue treat to help you enjoy our nation’s Independence Day with a big smile!