May

Easy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Fingerling Potato Surprise

Easy Gluten-Free Fingerling Potatoes

I fully intended to get this recipe for my Easy Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Spring-time Fingerling Potato Surprise up before the Easter and Passover Holidays.

But, then again…you did not know that, did you? So I am not even sure why I just mentioned it. Now you know that I am behind schedule.

Oh well. I figure I should at least get them up before Spring has passed us by and we are into the Summer months where turning on an oven for any long period of time is the equivalent of turning on the air conditioning in the dead of winter….

At least that is how it works in our house where summer temps are usually hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. Literally. We have done it.

I am not allowed to use my oven much from June through September. So I thought I better get this recipe out now while I still have a month to spare.

Dairy Free Fingerling Potatoes

I guess I will spoil the surprise part of this recipe now.  I am sure you are all on the edge of your seats. Right?

Okay. Here you go. I add one of my favorite condiments, and, incidentally, one of the few store-bought ones that I use on a regular basis. Sriracha sauce.

I used to despise this sauce. I would actually gag whenever I saw my husband dousing this spicy red concoction on absolutely everything.

And then, somehow, after two pregnancies, and a hormone shift, something changed in me. I completely started to crave it.

So now? I am always on the lookout for ways to include this Thai hot sauce, made from sun ripened chilies, into my recipes. And just recently, my good friend Shirley, from gfe-gluten-free easily, shared this wonderful link with me of 100 Ways to Use Sriracha, from Endless Simmer. All I can say is..Holy Spicy JACKPOT! I have a plethora of new ideas now.

And a note here: I used to be unsure if the Sriracha sauce that I used was gluten-free, but I found this email from the company that stated the following:

From Huy Fong Foods, Inc:

Thank you for your interest in our products! We strive to produce the best sauces using quality ingredients in every bottle.

Our vinegar supplier has ensured us that the vinegar used in all of our sauces is gluten-free. If you would like the name and number of our supplier, simply email us back and we would gladly comply.

Again, thank you for your inquiry. If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to e-mail us.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
——————————
Huy Fong Foods, Inc.
5001 Earle Avenue
Rosemead, CA 91770
(626) 286-8328
(626) 286-8522 fax

My husband eats this all of the time, and knowing how absolutely sensitive he is to gluten-contamination, I can say that he has never once reacted to this sauce.  Thus, it works for our family as a safe condiment for us. You may want to make your own decision regarding this condiment since it is not certified to be gluten-free.

But, if you are ready to step it up a notch and add a little heat to your potatoes, then this just may be the recipe for you.  These work great as either an appetizer or a side dish. I have used them as both.

Easy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Fingerling Potatoes

Easy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Spring-Time Fingerling Potato Surprise

Also: Nut-Free and Easily Egg-Free

Ingredients:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes on baking sheet.

2.  Bake potatoes for 25 – 30 minutes until they give slightly when pressed on. Let cool.

3.  Mix together Mayonnaise of choice, Lemon Juice, Scallions, Sea Salt, and Sriracha Sauce.

4.  Slice each potato in half lengthwise.  Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of Sriracha mixture onto tops of each half. Place potatoes back on baking sheet.

5.  Set oven broiler to Hi. Place baking sheet with potatoes topped with mixture under broiler for 3-4 minutes, until mixture is slightly browned and beginning to bubble. Watch closely so they do not burn.

6.  Serve topped with additional chopped scallions.

Now…How do YOU use Sriracha? Or maybe… “do you use Sriracha?” would be the better question?

1. On May 4, 2011 Sarena said

We LOVE Sriracha! I put it on my fried rice today! I love it on salads and in my vegetable soups! The potatoes look delicious!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Sarena! THanks! I think there is something addictive in Sriracha. I seriously love it and we put it on everything too! :)

2. On May 4, 2011 glutenfreeforgood said

I’m a huge fan of twice-baked potatoes and make several versions, but this sriracha sauce surprise of yours sounds wonderful and different. I love the zippy taste of sriracha on rice so I’m going to have to give it a try on potatoes. Great idea!
    Melissa
    P.S. I was so sorry I missed the Chicago trip, but loved seeing photo updates from everyone. You looked so cute in your booth!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Melissa, you will definitely have to try sriracha on potatoes. It adds such a fun kick! :) And, by the way, we totally missed you in Chicago too!

3. On May 4, 2011 Nancy @ TSP said

Yum!! We found Sriracha a few years ago and now it’s a staple in our house. I’m usually just OK with hot sauce (but the boys put it on everything!) but I love this one! The potatoes look awesome. I now have to head over to the website. (BTW–reallly? You’ve fried eggs on the pavement? I’d like to witness that!)

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Nancy, I totally agree. Something about this hot sauce is different than the others. And yes. We have totally fried an egg in our driveway. We did not eat it, of course, but it definitely set up pretty well! LOL It was 115 degrees when we did it, so I can only imagine how hot the pavers were in our driveway.

4. On May 4, 2011 Zoe said

Thanks for linking to my mayonnaise post, Kim! :D Your Sriracha love and finding ways to add it to your recipes reminds me of this post from The Traveler’s Lunchbox, I think it would amuse you. ;)

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Zoe, that post is HYSTERICAL about sriracha being the Gateway drug. I was totally laughing because I could SO relate. LOL
      Love that mayo recipe of yours, by the way!

5. On May 4, 2011 Carol, Simply...Glut said

Personally I am a big fan of Sriracha sauce, eat it all the time and never a reaction. These sound soooo great, I mean what is not to love? Potatoes, Sriracha, Mayo, seriously!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Carol, I am so glad that others that are gluten free eat Sriracha often as well. I could never find a real answer until I got that email… and still you never know. But I know that Kurt is super sensitive to cross contamination and he always seems fine as well.

6. On May 4, 2011 Maggie said

Yum Kim! These look amazing, such great presentation girl! I’ve never used Sriracha sauce before but you can bet I will be on the lookout! I love that when you talk about your hubby I have a visual and I met him! Soooooo great. Can’t wait to see you again soon. xo

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, you have to look out for Sriracha! I think that if you like a little kick (but the kind that does not leave your tongue burning) you will love this stuff. There is something addictive about it though, so you better watch out! LOL
      I guess now that some of you have met Kurt now, I better be careful of what stories I share about him. LOL Now you all will have a face to put with that name! :)
      And, just have to tell you how much I love your hubby. He is the sweetest guy ever-I could have talked to him for a long time about all of his favorite books and authors! Your entire family is absolutely beautiful!

7. On May 5, 2011 Jeanette said

My kids love Sriracha sauce on fried rice. I tease them that I will have to send them off to college with a bottle! These potatoes look really YUM!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Jeanette, that is so funny! I tease my husband that when we go on vacation, we need to pack our own bottles of Sriracha.

8. On May 5, 2011 Candace said

These look absolutely amazing. We love sriracha around here. You know….that may have been what my rice salad was missing. I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Candace! I totally think that whenever a savory dish is missing something, sriracha will do the trick and fix it up! ;)
      Congrats on the new house, by the way!

9. On May 5, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

Those potatoes look SOOOO good! Despite sharing the link to all those Sriracha recipes, I have yet to try it. LOL But I will soon! Thanks for the link love, dearie. :-)

p.s. Please stop outing yourself on being behind, so I can stop confessing my posting sins without guilt. ;-)

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Okay, Shirley. You HAVE to give Sriracha a try. I think once you do, you will never go back. ;) And just a little dab will do ya! Seriously. I just use a little bit and it is just perfect. THanks for sharing that link with me. I have been coming up with all sorts of new ideas for it. Maybe this will replace my Apple Cider habit??
      xoxox

10. On May 5, 2011 Sanjeeta kk said

Oh..thats a lovely snack option! Need tom try it soon.

11. On May 5, 2011 Alisa Fleming said

I had to click over to see what the “surprise” was and I just love it! Sriracha is one of my favorite condiments – it adds as much flavor as it does heat, so I prefer it to hot sauce for adding spice. I’m not a big “hot” fan with food.

You are too cute. I never did try frying an egg on the sidewalk when we lived in the southwest, but did think about it. Good to know it works :)

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, I am so glad that there are so many other Sriracha lovers out there. I thought I was a little crazy for liking it so much! I totally prefer it over hot sauce as well because it does not really add the kind of heat that leaves your tongue burning for hours.
      And I will video us frying an egg this summer in our driveway, just to show all of you that it can really work. But…we do not eat the eggs. That would be just…wierd!

12. On May 9, 2011 Jeanine said

These look great, Kim! I’ve never even heard of Sriracha sauce before. Sounds interesting!

• On May 10, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Jeanine! You HAVE to find it and try it. And you know what?? IT goes amazing with cream cheese. Seriously!

13. On October 2, 2011 Heather Stepniewski said

My 9 yo likes it on his waffles. Who knew? I just love it. I am not eating it currently because I am sugar free til mid-December.

• On October 6, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

On waffles, Heather?? Now that is a new idea. But I think I could go for it if I was eating savory ones!! Yum!

14. On July 8, 2012 Anna said

This looks delicious. Only problem is, I am allergic to garlic. Is there another sauce you think would work, one that doesn’t contain garlic?

1. [...] Cook It Allergy Free shared Easy Gluten-Free Dairy Free Fingerling Potato Surprise [...]

2. [...] Fingerling Potato Surprise from Kim at Cook It Allergy Free [...]

3. [...] Easy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Fingerling Potato Surprise from Kim at Cook It Allergy Free. [...]

4. [...] Grilled Chicken, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Fingerling Potato Surprise and [...]

5. [...] case you’re wondering what the orange stuff is, it’s Sriracha Mayo, an idea I got from this recipe over at Cook IT Allergy Free, simply add gluten free Sriracha sauce (to taste) to Soy-Free [...]