…and I am not just saying that. I promise. But I am not trying to toot my horn or anything. Really.
Oh. One more thing I should mention. This is the easiest recipe for a quick Strawberry Shortcake (just in case that matters).
This is a cake that you will make over and over again for every Spring-time event that you attend. You may just even make it for your own little one-person kitchen party. I have those often. Don’t you?
And if you are serving this to a party full of gluten-eating guests, not one of them will ever guess that this is gluten and dairy free. I know. I have done this. Many times. And I get rave reviews each time. I also rarely reveal what it is actually free of. What does it matter to them if it is gluten free?
This cake is a perfect replica of the Strawberry Shortcake that my Mom made throughout my entire childhood. I have the fondest memories surrounding this cake.
So, I felt compelled to copy it. And copy it I did (even managing to make it a little bit healthier). This cake is so ultimately moist and buttery-rich tasting! And the best part? It literally has the consistency and sponge-like texture of a gluten-filled cake. I am not kidding you. Try it. You will be shocked.
I am also sharing this recipe with Kelly, over at The Spunky Coconut for her fun Easter Holiday Event that she is hosting. She will have an entire Easter Feast ready for you. Make sure to check out her round-up of Gluten-Free Holiday recipes.
And as strawberries are coming into season, what could be more perfect than a Strawberry Shortcake for your holiday event. I know that this one will be on our table without a doubt.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Strawberry Shortcake
Easily adapted to be Nut-free and Egg-free
- 1 cup Superfine Brown Rice Flour (such as Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour -such as Honeyville (For NUT-Free: use equal amount Corn Flour, OR Quinoa Flour, OR Millet Flour)
- 1/4 cup Millet Flour
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot Starch
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder, Aluminum-Free
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 8 Tbsp Butter, softened to Room Temperature-IMPORTANT (For DAIRY FREE: use equal amount Earth Balance Vegan Buttery stick, softened to room temperature-IMPORTANT)
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar OR Blonde Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs, at Room Temperature-IMPORTANT (For EGG-FREE: Mix together in small bowl: 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce with 1 1/2 tsp additional Baking Powder with 2 Tbsp Warm Water and with 1 1/2 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer – use mixture where you would add eggs)
- 1 Cup Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt (such as So Delicious) OR Plain Dairy-Filled Yogurt OR Sour Cream-Room Temperature-IMPORTANT
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 12 Medium-Sized Strawberries, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar OR Blonde Coconut Palm Sugar
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch x 8 inch pan on the bottom and sides. Then cut a piece of parchment paper to fit just in the bottom of pan, without letting it go up the sides.
2. In medium bowl, mix together Superfine Brown Rice Flour, Almond Flour, Millet Flour, Arrowroot Starch, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Sea Salt. Whisk together until light and airy.
3. In bowl of electric stand mixer, beat Butter (or Earth Balance) and Sugar for 3 – 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Then add eggs (or Egg Replacer), one at a time, continue mixing. Add Yogurt and vanilla and mix again until incorporated.
4. While mixer is going on low speed, slowly add dry ingredient mixture. Stop occasionally to scrape down sides with rubber spatula. Once all dry mixture is added, continue to mix until well-incorporated and batter seems light.
5. Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Then lay half of strawberry slices over batter. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar over strawberries. Then add remaining batter over strawberries. Place remaining strawberries all over the top of the batter and sprinkle last Tablespoon of sugar over strawberries. Design is not necessary since the cake will move the berries around as it rises (and possibly even cover them).
6. Bake for 45 – 48 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve garnished with additional berries and, if you want, top with homemade Coconut Whipped Cream
Enjoy! This cake is wonderful! And I hope I am not just being biased. Report back if you make this and let me know if you agree with me.
What will you be serving for your holiday meals? I love to see the varied menus (and get new ideas myself)!