Mar

Chocolate Covered Banana “Cake” Pops – Sans the Cake

Chocolate Banana Cake Pops - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan

Or should I just title this post “Quite Simply the Easiest Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Chocolate Covered Banana “Cake” Pops, Just Without the Cake Part”? But, I suppose that would make for a ridiculously long title.

With dinner time fast approaching the other night, the bags from my trip to Trader Joe’s only moments before were getting unpacked hastily in between my mealtime prep.

Things do not ever end up where they belong when I am in multi-tasking mode in the kitchen (or anywhere else in the house for that matter).

This time was no exception.

My dark chocolate bars that I just purchased somehow landed in the fruit bowl alongside my big bunch of bananas. Not where I normally store my chocolate. But not time to worry about that now. I had hungry boys circling the kitchen.

As dinner started simmering on the stove, it hit me that we had two birthday parties coming up. And one was serving cake pops!

Since we always come to parties with our own gluten-free cupcakes in tow, I usually keep a stash of home-made unfrosted cupcakes in the freezer. Then, right before a party, I let the boys frost their own cupcakes and then go crazy with our natural Let’s Do… Organic Sprinkles. They love this little ritual.

Once their masterpieces are finished, I put them in these really cool cupcake holders…perfect for kids with food allergies who like to tote their own cupcakes.

Gluten Free Cupcake holder

Side note – these holders are great. They keep your cupcake suspended in the middle and the frosting stays perfect and never gets smooshed.

But, because cake pops were on the agenda for one party, I needed to come up with a similar treat even though I did not really have time to go through the cake pop process.

But then?  My eyes brushed over that fruit bowl.  Remember that one where the chocolate was mingling with the bananas?

And it hit me! Chocolate Covered Banana “Cake” Pops – Sans the Cake part. I could make them look just like a cake pop, but instead of cake in the center, it would be a banana piece.  Even better, by using my Vegan Chocolate Bar for the Chocolate covering, these could be Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, and Nut-Free! And the kids could still do their own decorating with our natural sprinkles.

And, yes. I absolutely know that this is not some brilliant revelation! I know I am not the one to pioneer a chocolate covered banana.

My point here? I can make them look just like cake pops in one tenth of the time, using only three ingredients, and my kids think they are getting a wonderful treat. And I know that they are getting a little punch of potassium from the banana and some antioxidants from that dark chocolate.

The end result? The kids loved them! And the best part was that I packed them each three “pops” to bring to the party. They felt even more special that they got to have more than one!

And even better was that these were actually a HEALTHY treat! And really. That is the best part for me.

Vegan Cake Pops

Chocolate Covered Banana Pops

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free

Ingredients:

1. Place the pointed end of a wooden skewer, or your cake pop stick, into the center of each banana piece.

2. Place banana pieces on a piece of parchment paper on a plate and freeze for about 2 hours, or overnight. At this point your bananas should look like the photo at the bottom here.

3. Place chocolate in medium heat-proof glass bowl and place bowl over pot of simmering water.  Make sure bowl fits snugly on pot and that bottom of bowl does not touch water inside – just rests on lip of pot.  Stir chocolate constantly with rubber spatula until melted, shiny and smooth. Do NOT allow any water to get into chocolate – chocolate will seize immediately!

4.  Remove banana pieces from freezer. Use a spoon to pour chocolate evenly over each banana piece. DO NOT dip banana into chocolate. This will cause your melted chocolate in bowl to harden. Using back of spoon, spin banana piece while smoothing chocolate.  Make sure to cover the top of the banana.

5.  Before chocolate hardens, dip just the tops of the covered banana pieces into your bowl of sprinkles. Then place on parchment paper. Once all bananas are dipped, place back into freezer to harden. Store in freezer until ready to use.

**For more information on Organic Dark Chocolate, see what Jenny, of Nourished Kitchen, has to say in a recent post about the Love of Organic Dark Chocolate.

food allergies in children P.S. Do not feel sorry for my kiddos. I did not trick them.  They knew there was no cake hiding under that chocolate and they actually loved the bananas in them.

This post is linked to:

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

Hearth and Soul Hop

1. On March 22, 2011 AndreAnna said

My kids love chocolate covered bananas – well they love bananas in general! We joke that we should move somewhere tropical and get a banana tree because they literally eat like 12 a week.

I think I’m gonna do this with them tonight – thanks for the idea!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

AndreAnna, we go through so many bananas here too! They go in smoothies, in lunches, in chocolate, in peanut butter. Hmm…that move to the tropics could save me some money if I could just grow my own. ;)

2. On March 22, 2011 Emily said

mmm these look delicious :) Starbucks has cake pops now, but they aren’t gluten-free. So festive too!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Emily! I did not even know that Starbucks was carrying cake pops. Maybe they will start making gluten free ones soon!!

3. On March 22, 2011 Half Assed Kitchen said

I’m so happy to have found your blog! My son has a bunch of food allergies and I’m always looking for new treats for him. I’m going to share this on my Half Assed Kitchen Facebook page and hopefully bring you a chunk of new traffic. Thank you thank you thank you!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Half Assed Kitchen!! So glad you found me! ;) Thank you so much for sharing these on your facebook page!! So appreciated! I LOVE your site. Too fun! Great to get to know you!

4. On March 22, 2011 Lexie said

LOVE THESE! I still think we all secretly want you to be our second mom. You make life for kids so much fun. Thank you for this idea. Was just talking with the School Health Nurse (who happens to be Celiac!) where my boys will go next year … signing all the “what M can and cannot eat” forms, what to do in the event of asthma etc. Ideas like these are going to be much needed as the “school years” approach. And that cupcake holder … brilliant! BRILLIANT. I AM ORDERING ONE : )

xoLexie

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Lex, you will love those cupcake holders. They suspend the cupcakes or muffins perfectly – never smooshed! How cool, by the way, that the nurse of the school has Celiac disease! Well, I do not mean that it is cool she has it. But it is cool that she will “get” what M can and cannot have!
      Oh, and I will gladly adopt all of you! I have always wanted lots of “children”! LOL

5. On March 22, 2011 Christine said

You are so creative! I really love this and the sprinkles are such a cute added touch! :)

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Christine! The sprinkles were courtesy of the kiddos!! They were a fun touch!

6. On March 22, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

Brilliant!!!!! As cute as I think those cake pops that everyone seems to be making look, I just know I’m never doing the work for them … never. Cake is really not something I miss. Chocolate covered bananas are totally my thing though. :-) And yes, I agree with Lexie, I want you to be my mom … starting tonight. :-)

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, I am so with you! The regular cake pops are so time consuming! These, on the other hand, are so easy peasy!!
      And I would gladly be your mom, starting tonight! Go brush your teeth, put your jammies on, and I will read you a bedtime story. How does “The Gut and Psychology Syndrome” sound? That is my current bedtime read! LOL

• On March 24, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

ROFL … well, “Mom,” that’s EXACTLY my kind of reading! Except it wouldn’t put me to sleep; instead I’d be riveted!

7. On March 22, 2011 Sarah C. said

Great idea! My daughter will loves these!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Sarah! I hope your daughter likes the chocolate covered banana pops! They are seriously the easiest quickest thing to make!
      ;)

8. You R.O.C.K. Kim!!!!

That’s all I can say. :-D

Heidi

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Heidi, I love the double meaning of R.O.C.K. LOL!!!!! And, thanks, my friend!! And since you are cutting out chocolate right now, I do think that the carob chips would be a cool touch here!

9. On March 22, 2011 Tia said

Can you be my mom if I’m older than you? It’s not by much. I agree with Shirley and Lexie. Or at least, can you be another mom to Max? He would love all of the treats that you make that I just don’t have the energy to do. In fact, I think I might make these today. Don’t have sprinkles, but no one here will care. Nice and easy.

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Well, Tia, it looks like I just gained three new children: you, Lex, and SHirley. I have always wanted a girl!! Yay! And now I get to miss all of those turbulent teenage years of parenting since you are all beyond that (oh, but not by much, of course).
      I bet Max would love these! He can even totally help! Hope you all are feeling better!! Remember what i said! AZ would dry you all out!
      Hugs!

10. On March 22, 2011 Jeanette said

I love these! I agree, who needs the cake and this is so much healthier. The kids are getting a wonderful treat. At first when my son went gluten-free I thought he would miss out on treats, but now my other kids think my son is getting special treatment with all his gluten-free, healthier treats!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Jeanette, exactly! Who needs cake when you can have a banana? LOL Not sure how many other people might agree with this, but at least my kids are still humoring me! ;) And I agree. Often my kids gluten-free treats are WAY better than the store-bought gluten filled ones that are often at the birthday parties we go to!

11. On March 22, 2011 TheMixingBowlDiary said

these look fantastic! I have been telling my kids we should make banana choc pops and now I am convinced!!!! yours look great.

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Mixing Bowl Diary! Thanks so much! You should definitely make these choco covered banana pops with the kids! They are so easy and they will have a blast helping you out!

12. On March 22, 2011 Maggie said

This is FANTASTIC Kim. I love it. The whole cake pop thing has really intrigued me, but also scared me! This totally gets me out of making them. I love it so much! Callum will love it too. You rock! We do that cupcake in the freezer thing too – but now I need those containers!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Maggie!! The cake pop thing can be a little intimidating, but mostly it is just really time consuming. These are just so much quicker and easier!!! And you have to get those cupcake containers! They are so nice for toting our frosted cupcakes!

13. On March 22, 2011 Katie Chalmers said

Thanks for this simple, healthy idea! I will have to stop using my big marshmallows and change to bananas (and maybe strawberries?) I am also on a mission to find those adorable cupcake holders locally… Thanks for the inspiration!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Katie, those big marshmallows are still great covered in chocolate, though! I have to admit that I just may have a small addiction to marshmallows! LOL And strawberries are just as yummy too!!! I hope you find those cupcake holders, by the way! You will love them!

14. On March 22, 2011 Tina @ MOMS CRAZY CO said

I will be steeling this idea SOON.. my daughter is going gluten-free on saturday. thanks for the tip!

Also what a GREAT recipe for a linky party! We are doing CHOCOLATE… CHOCOLATE and MORE CHOCOLATE at THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS Linky Party and we would love to have you link up this awesome recipe!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Tina! Report back on how it goes with your daughter going gluten-free this weekend! I am sure it will go wonderfully! And thanks for the link to your Chocolate Linky party! I will go link up in a bit!!

15. On March 22, 2011 nicola @ gfreemom said

Wow, wow and wow. LOVE this. SO much. School birthday party coming up in a few weeks for a class with gluten, dairy and nut intolerant kids. Now I know what to do. Perfect!!!!!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Nicola, this would be perfect for a class party with kids with lots of food intolerances, especially now that you can get allergen free chocolate such as Enjoy Life or Sunspire. Good luck with the school party!! ;)

16. On March 23, 2011 InTolerantChef said

Yumm, love frozen bananas, I like to dip them in peanuts too.

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Intolerant Chef! Thanks so much! Ooh! And I love them dipped in crushed peanuts or peanut butter too!!

17. On March 23, 2011 Jeanine said

Love it, Kim! Holy cow, what a great idea! I haven’t tried making cake pops (yet, still on that long list of things to try), but I love this idea, and what kid wouldn’t love to eat it? Anything eaten off a stick is fun, right? Thanks for sharing!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Jenaine, cake pops are a lot more time consuming! This might be the cheater’s way, but man it is just soo easy and quick. And, at least my kids are still humoring me by eating these instead of the real deal! LOL

18. On March 23, 2011 Alisa Fleming said

I love chocolate covered banana. Such a great idea Kim! Good thing you didn’t trick them though – bananas may have been a letdown :)

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, i have learned not to trick them. Every time I do it just backfires on me. LOL I just told them that the bananas would make them so much healthier than their friends and would give their brains the right kind of energy. Teehee… OH well. I will do what I can while they are still young enough to believe me.

19. On March 23, 2011 Butterpoweredbike said

I’m actually a big fan of ridiculously long titles. I like getting the whole story in a title, haha. What a pretty little treat. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Yay for really long titles, Butterpoweredbike!!! I, too, like to know what I am getting just from the title. LOL Thanks for letting me share on the Hearth and Soul Hop this week!! ;)

20. On March 24, 2011 Sophie said

What a neat & tasty idea! So, that your children would eat more fruit! hahahhahaha,..! they look ohh so tasty too!

Yum :)

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Sophie! Yes. Definitely a great way to get the kiddos to eat fruit!! Although,sometimes I think my kids already eat too much of it! ;)

21. On March 24, 2011 Stephanie O'Dea said

omg those are just way too cute.

and? I HAVE THOSE SAME CUPCAKE HOLDERS.

and I love them. :-) xox

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Steph, I should have known you would be the ONLY other person I know with those awesome cupcake holders! LOL

22. On March 24, 2011 Lara said

I have some in the freezer right now. I didn’t have the sticks so I used mini cupcake liners, I hope it works!!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Lara, I know that cupcake liners will work perfectly!! I have done them with those before when I had no sticks! Have fun with them!!! ;)

• On March 24, 2011 Lara said

They came out delish!!!! Soooo much healthier than cakepops too!!!

• On March 24, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Yay!! Lara, I am so glad that you liked them and that they turned out well! And, oh my goodness! I think they are like 1/100 the cost of a gluten-free cake pop, when you factor in the cost of all that expensive flour!! ;)
          Thanks for reporting back!!
          kim

23. On March 31, 2011 Diane-thewholegang said

You are such a fun mom. Lucky boys. My hubby would love these.

• On April 2, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Judging by your April Fool’s Day antics, Diane, you seem like a pretty fun/cool mom and wife yourself!! LOL

24. On April 10, 2011 Nancy @ TSP said

Kim – I love that you put the frozen bananas on sticks. Kids will go wild over these–they’re tasty and colorful. And, although I haven’t had cake pops myself I have to believe these are just as good…if not better.

25. On July 26, 2013 Ana said

We are working on this dessert now. So easy! And looks yummy!

1. On June 16, 2011 On a Stick! | Modern Hostess said

[...] Treats Frozen Banana Bites on a stick Strawberry Shortcake Hot Chocolate on a stick Mojito Melons Skewers Adult Jello [...]