When I start craving my Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Lemon-Berry Muffins, I know one thing for certain ….. Springtime has hit Arizona in full force.
Another telltale sign for me, aside from my craving for these muffins, is that our citrus blossoms go into high bloom here. You cannot miss them. Their scent just gives it away. You walk outside and the air is literally dripping in the most beautiful fragrances.
I wish I could bottle that smell. I would sniff from it every single day (that is not meant to sound as weird as it does). Really. I would. It just puts me in the most amazingly upbeat mood.
Even though these same smells also lend to immobilizing seasonal allergies for many Arizonans, we all seem willing to ignore the fact that these blooms can put us into a fairly miserable condition of drippy noses and stuffy heads.
We just want to smell that air. We want to inhale deeply at every chance we can. After all, this precious scent will disappear in just a few short weeks. We will then just be left with our regular desert smells. Which, really, are not so bad, but do not manage to put me in that same upbeat mood as those citrusy blossoms.
So for now? We indulge in it and just put up with those watery eyes and itchy noses. We deal with the seasonal side-affects so that we can enjoy this special treat from Mother Nature.
And today, while I am basking in this Springtime glow, I will share with you the recipe for my Lemon-Berry Muffins. These have the perfect hint of a light lemon flavor. They are not too sweet, so they will not start your day off on a sugar rush. And they are accented perfectly with the flavors of the fresh berries (I use blueberries and diced strawberries here).
My kids, surprisingly, love these. I think it signals to them that spring-time fun is on its way. I think you and your kids will feel the same about them too! Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour – Honeyville Almond Flour works best here (For Nut Free: Use 1 1/2 cups of your favorite Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend)
- 1 cup Superfine Brown Rice Flour (such as Authentic Foods brand)
- ½ cup Teff Flour OR Certified Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ¼ cup Arrowroot Starch
- 2 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 ¼ cups Plain Yogurt (Non-Dairy or Dairy Version – I used SO Delicious Plain Coconut Yogurt)
- ½ cup Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil (measured in liquid form) OR ½ cup melted butter or melted Earth Balance Buttery Stick
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp Raw unfiltered Honey, preferably organic
- ¼ cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest (freshly zested/grated – yellow part only)
- 2 Large Eggs, separated (For Egg-Free: use 2 Tbsp Ground Chia Seeds Mixed with ½ cup HOT water – allowed to sit until gelled before using)
- 1 cup Fresh Berries – I like a mix of fresh blueberries and finely diced fresh strawberries in these
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners, or grease openings.
2. In medium bowl, whisk/mix together Almond Flour, Superfine Brown Rice Flour, Teff (or Oat) Flour, and Arrowroot Starch until light and airy. Add in Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Sea Salt –whisk until blended and mixture feels light.
3. In large bowl, beat together Yogurt, Coconut Oil (or melted Butter or Earth Balance), Honey, Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, Vanilla, Lemon Zest, and Egg yolks (or Chia Gel mixture).
4. Slowly mix dry mix into blended wet ingredients. Gently mix together until just blended. Do not overmix. Then fold in berries gently.
5. (Omit this step if using Egg Replacer): In separate small bowl, beat egg whites until fairly stiff peaks form. Then very gently fold whites into assembled muffin batter until just incorporated.
6. Fill muffin wells 2/3 full. Bake in oven for 17-19 minutes, or toothpick comes out clean from center. Makes 16 muffins. Enjoy!
This recipe has been shared with Gluten Free Easily’s March Muffin Madness
Now..what says “Springtime” to you?