Feb

Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites and “Our Song”

Sweet and Salty Pretzel Bites - Allergy Friendly Treat

In preparation for Valentine’s Day, I thought I would share with you these Easy Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites. These are a hit with my Sweetheart as well as with my two pint-sized loves.

I am a hopeless romantic. My husband, on the other hand? Well…he tries.

In about one month, I will have been married to the love of my life for eleven years.

For the first decade of our marriage we had a song.  Well…I called it “Our Song”. My husband just nodded in absent-minded agreement whenever we heard it.

As we are getting ready to begin the next decade of our lives together, I thought it was time for a new song. I also thought I should let my husband know that, in fact, our song was changing.  I figured I should keep him up to speed on matters such as these.

For the record, I did choose a song he loves by one of his favorite artists, Daniel Ho. My husband, an amazing surfer, by hobby (as some of you may remember from this post), loves the beachy feel of Daniel’s music.

So I wanted to let him know he could now refer to one of Daniel’s songs as “Our Song”.  I was totally sure he would be ecstatic (I, of course, am being completely sarcastic).

Me: Honey, we have a new song.

Him: Okay.

Me: Do you want to hear it?

Him (as he continues to read his magazine, listening half-heartedly): Sure dear.

Fast forward to a few weeks later.

Said “New Song” comes through the speakers from my latest Feel-Good Playlist Mix.

Me (sarcastically, and with a hint of annoyance): Do you know what song this is? (completely certain that he did not have any idea what I was referring to)

Him (with a twinkle in his eye and his well-known smirk tugging on the corners of his lips): Absolutely Honey. This is “Our Song (as he grabs me, lifting me off of my feet, and planting a big kiss on my lips).

Okay. Maybe the movie-style kiss was the wishful-thinking part of my romantic self. But…he remembered. That, here, my friends, is the important part and all that really matters.

Now we have a new song.

I love this guy.

So, for your listening enjoyment, “Our Song” is below. You just may want to make it “Your Song” too.

You can listen to it while you are making these Gluten Free Dairy Free Sweet and Salty Chocolate Pretzel Bites for your Love this weekend.  The time it takes to listen to the song is just about how long it takes to throw this super easy treat together.

“Our Song”:  Cup of Joe by Daniel Ho

Dairy Free Gluten Free Chocolate Pretzel Recipe

Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites:

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free

Ingredients:

1.  Line baking sheet (that will fit in refrigerator) with parchment paper.

2.  In small bowl, mix together dried cherries, pistachios (or Nut-Free alternative) and pretzel pieces. Stir to combine.

3. Place chocolate in medium heat-proof glass bowl and place bowl over pot of simmering water.  Make sure bowl fits snugly on pot and that bottom of bowl does not touch water inside – just rests on lip of pot.  Stir chocolate constantly with rubber spatula until melted, shiny and smooth. Do NOT allow any water to get into chocolate – chocolate will seize immediately!

Alternatively: you can melt chocolate in heat-proof microwave-safe bowl in microwave. Heat for 30 seconds, then stir. Heat another 30-seconds, then stir. Continue in 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted, shiny and smooth.

4. Add pretzel and cherry mixture to melted chocolate and stir until all is coated evenly.  Then place 1 heaping Tablespoonful of chocolate mixture onto prepared baking sheet lined with parchment.  Shape each spoonful into a mound on sheet. Repeat with all remaining mixture.

5.  Chill for 15 – 30 minutes before serving.

**For more information on Organic Dark Chocolate, see what Jenny, of Nourished Kitchen, has to say in a recent post about the Love of Organic Dark Chocolate.

Chocolate Pretzel Bites

Cheesy question for today: Do you have a song with your honey?

1. On February 11, 2011 Jeanine said

Oh, Kim, those look GOOD! I’ll definitely give them a try the next time I have pretzels on hand.
    And loved the story about you and your husband, cute! This summer, we’ll be married 13 years, but no song for us. I am so out of the loop when it comes to music, it’s not even funny!

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Jeanine, congrats on 13 years this summer. And do not worry, I feel so out of the loop when it comes to music too. My husband is WAY more hip on that kind of thing. ;)

2. On February 11, 2011 Bev said

oh these look really yummy, and I’m just thinking of making these for myself now!

Hi Bev! Thanks so much!!
      By the way, that recipe for ginger sunflower seed cookies looks amazing. Just left a comment saying it, but I am going to have to try those!! ;)

3. On February 11, 2011 glutenfreeforgood said

Loved the story, loved the song, love the looks of these little treats (and so easy). I hate to tell you this as it’s not all that romantic, but as I was reading your story, I was thinking about a surf video I recently saw that I need to send you to show to your sweetie. It is unreal! Off subject, but amazing and since he’s a skier and surfer, he’ll love it.

Hmmm? Back to the song thing. We don’t have a song. I’ve never even thought of “having a song.” It’s never too late, is it? It will have to be either Elton John or Bonnie Raitt. I’ll figure it out and report back to you. Thanks for the inspiration on several fronts. =)

Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Melissa

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Melissa, I am so glad you were thinking of that surf video while you read this post! My husband LOVED it and has all sorts of crazy ideas swirling around in that fearless head of his now. LOL
      Report back if you come up with “a song” ! ;)

4. On February 11, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

I loved this post. It made me cry a bit. I’m so sentimental. It must be Valetine’s Day coming up and my own feelings about Mr. GFE injecting themselves. ;-) It will be 29 years in June for us, but we are far younger than folks who have been married for that long so the math just doesn’t work. LOL Happy anniversary to you, two! Oh, and our song definitely needs to get changed. It’s an old Fleetwood Mac tune and hearing it has never been quite the same since Son started calling Stevie Nicks sheep lady years ago. LOL, but true.

These treats look absolutely divine, Kim. Simple yet heavenly. I would have to call them Chocolate Twig Clusters or something though. They just look so twiggish with the pretzel sticks … in a good way, of course. :-)

• On February 11, 2011 Tia said

It was an arranged marriage at birth, right?

• On February 14, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

Tia–You are always the funniest girl around, but Iike your logic! ;-)

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, I like your name so much better – Chocolate Twig Clusters sounds so much more fun! LOL
      And I cannot believe that you two will have been married 29 years this summer. I am with Tia, it must have been arranged at birth since that must mean you got married at 10 years old. ;)
      And totally cracking up at Sheep Lady! That is so funny! I think that might ruin the song for me too since I would be thinking really weird things every time I heard it.

• On February 14, 2011 Shirley @ gfe said

Thanks, dear! The sad thing is that once Son said that about Stevie Nicks, I could totally see/hear what he was saying. She sure does sound like a bleating sheep in many of her tunes. Hubby didn’t care though. Her songs are still on his iPod.

5. On February 11, 2011 Aileen said

Oohh, I have everything but the pistachios or I would totally be making these right now!

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Aileen! Hope you like them if you make them! They can be addicting!

6. On February 11, 2011 Jane said

I love your facebook postings and this recipe looks wonderful..will make this weekend. Our cheesy song after 33 years is Bicycle Built for Two with my own lyrics. Happy Valentines Day!

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Jane!! Thanks so so much! And, I LOVE your “cheesy” song! I bet your own lyrics are pretty fun! Congrats to you on 33 years! That is awesome! Happy Valentine’s Day!

7. On February 11, 2011 InTolerantChef said

Yummy! These look cute too. We don’t really have a song, but certain ones make me think of us. One I like is the Kelly Clarkson one My Life Would Suck Without You. Does that count as romantic…. maybe not?

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Okay, that song is funny, Intolerant Chef!! That sounds perfectly romantic, in my opinion.
      And I just have to tell you that I just got finished reading your Favorite Things post. I was laughing at how similar we are….LOL!!!! You will have to read my comment, but too many of those were my favorite things as well.

• On February 14, 2011 InTolerantChef said

That is just too freaky! Maybe one of was adopted and we really are twins…. remember all the hassle I had getting my paperwork? (who am I blog post) One day I will have the kitchen of my dreams, and all the extra stuff to put in it, but for now I’ll go bit by bit and keep dreaming.

8. On February 11, 2011 nicola @ gfreemom said

Ooo – these look good enough to eat. (Ha ha). The chocolate post was really interesting too – thanks for sharing that.
    This Feb will be 11 years since my hubby and I met. Maybe we need a new song too? I love that!
    N xo

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Nicola!! Congrats to you and your husband on 11 years from the time you met! I would say you need a new song now too. LOL!!!

9. On February 11, 2011 Emily said

Done and Done. I have most of these ingredients on hand right now anyway! Thanks for the idea!

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hey Em!! Hope you like them! They are way too easy!
      I will work on that chicken recipe this week. I forgot we were going out both nights this weekend so I never got to play with that recipe! Will keep you posted!!

10. On February 11, 2011 Tia said

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! 2000 was a busy year. Sam and I just celebrated our 11 year anniversary of meeting last month. I love it when I hear that happy couples have been together a long time. We have a song, but it is kind of strange, like us. It’s Green River by CCR. When we first met, we were set up by a coworker of mine and we met at a bar. It was karaoke night, and Sam got called up to sing it just as they were going to introduce us.

I think it is so sweet that your man remembered when you told him. He knows you well enough to know to remember that when you tell him. I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!

Tia

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Tia, your song does NOT surprise me in the least!! In fact, knowing you, I am surprised it is not even a crazier choice. LOL I love the story though of how that song came to be. So so cool! I must meet this mysterious Sam one of these days.
      Happy Valentine’s Day to you guys!!
      xox

11. On February 11, 2011 Alisa Fleming said

Love that story Kim, too cute!

Hmm, I think our husbands probably would get along :)

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, there is no doubt in my mind that our husband’s would get along very well! ;)

12. On February 12, 2011 The Teenie Foodie said

Aw this is such a sweet post! love the your little dialogue, made me more in the mood for v day! These snacks look scrumptious… :-)

Teenie Foodie

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Teenie Foodie!! Thanks so much! Glad they made you more in the mood for V-Day! ;)

13. On February 12, 2011 Heather @GF Cat said

Aw, what a sweet post! It’s cool how the stories behind “our songs” are so varied. I’ve been married to my husband for almost 17 years, and he hates “our song” musically, but we’ve had so much fun with it over the years. While training for a half marathon, I hit a wall at mile 10 and was literally in tears trying to finish. He broke out into “When I See You Smile” by Bad English, and although I could barely run through my laughter, it just changed the mood and I finished! There’s just something awesome about cheesy love songs and a husband who will stoop to that level out of love to accept the badge of “our song” despite being vehemently against it! Happy Valentine’s Day!

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hey Heather! Congrats on almost 17 years! How funny that he hates your song. Your marathon story is so sweet it made me a bit teary. I loved it. And I agree that there is just something about those men that will stoop to that level of having “a song”. LOL
      And, by the way, that french toast recipe of yours is going to be our new favorite here. I LOVE it (left a comment, but may be in spam)!!! What a brilliant idea!!!
      Happy Valentine’s Day!!
      kim

14. On February 13, 2011 Tammy Kirschner said

Oh my. Reading this post and all the comments has me crying now. (and listening to your song) In just three weeks we will have been married for 22 years! We don’t really have a song, but we like a lot of the old stuff like Air Supply. I think I am going to have to remedy the song. I think he will like yours, it’s sweet! These chocolate bites look so yummy, and I have all the ingredients too. I keep the Glutino pretzels around so I can snack on them. :)

• On February 13, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Aww, thanks Tammy! Wow!! Huge congrats on 22 years of marriage! We love Air Supply, too! I hope you have a fabulous Valentine’s Day!! ;)

15. On February 15, 2011 Diane-thewholegang said

You are way too young to be married for 11 years. Congratulations. I also want to know how you make all of these great chocolate snacks and look amazing. You must be feeding them to the neighbors. I’m much older than you so our song was Phil Collins One More Night. That was my hope that he would date me at least one more night. I’m sure the song had other meanings. We did however dance to a completely different song at our wedding.

Great guy you have there but he’s just as lucky to have you!

16. On February 21, 2011 Melanie said

you are too creative! These look so simple and satisfying. Definitely going to try these soon! :)

• On February 22, 2011 Cook It Allergy Free said

Aw! Thanks so much, Melanie!! Will be anxious to hear if you, too, think Bon Appetit was right on with these brownies being the best ever!! ;)

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kim, Kim. Kim said: {New Post} Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites and “Our Song” http://goo.gl/fb/eju0B [...]

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jennifer, Melissa. Melissa said: Easy Gluten Free Sweet and Salty Chocolate Pretzel Bites | Cook It Alle… – http://bit.ly/eDnpyk via @cookallergyfree [...]

3. [...] if you are a dark chocolate fan, you can opt for Kim’s (Cook IT Allergy Free) Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites (this post even came with a song and made me cry a bit), Melissa’s Super Easy Chocolate Valentine [...]

4. On March 15, 2011 Chocolate Cereal Bars said

[...] from the blog-o-sphere: Gluten-Free Easily’s Almond Chocolate Double Coconut No-Bake Cookies Cook It Allergy Free’s Salty Chocolate Bites Gluten-Free Gigi’s Dairy-Free Fudge Diet, Dessert N Dogs’ Chocolate Almond [...]

5. [...] Easy Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites [...]

6. […] Sweet and Salty Chocolate Bites – Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Easily Nut-Free […]