The other night, before we headed out for our family ski trip to Deer Valley, Utah, I decided I wanted to make the easiest, quickest, and healthiest dinner I could get away with.
I did not have time to slave in the kitchen considering I still had packing to do, a dog to drop off at the grandparents, mail to stop, a Parent Group board meeting to attend at the boys school, and lunch to pack for the plane. I also wanted to clean out my refrigerator to prevent any stinky surprises upon our return. I figured I could surely come up with a meal from the forgotten odds and ends in my icebox.
The star contents lurking in the deep corners of my refrigerator included: some leftover black re-fried beans from the tacos the night before, half of a jar of garlic chipotle salsa, organic micro-greens, a half of a red onion, an avocado, a lime, and chicken breasts from the night before. As I took a peek into my freezer and spied the frozen organic corn and Udi’s pizza crusts, it hit me. Mexican Pizzas!! With all of these ingredients these would surely make an easy, healthy, quick, gluten-free, and even dairy-free dinner!
I scored on this one. The kids and my husband devoured their meals. And with how quick and easy they were to put together, I even had time to snap a halfway decent photo of them and then sit down and enjoy a meal with my family.
But, no rest for the weary Mom. I was up and raring to go as soon as my plate was polished off.
And guess what?
It must have been a healthy dinner packed with some good energy. In the next two hours I managed to: finish packing four suitcases, drop the dog off at Nana’s and Papa’s, stop the mail, give my Treasurer’s Report at the Parent Group meeting, and make four lunches for the airplane the next day.
And the next morning, when my husband offered to sit with the boys on the airplane, I took him up on his generosity and was able to have a nice little nap to recover from my busy evening.
Easy, Healthy, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mexican Pizza Recipe
- 2 Udi’s Gluten Free Pizza Crusts (or your favorite gluten-free pizza crusts)
- 1 cup Refried Black Beans (I used Amy’s Organic Refried Black Beans)
- 1/2 cup Salsa, your favorite works fine
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 cup cheese, preferably Organic – either Dairy or Dairy-free such as Daiya – the cheese can be totally left out here as this is not a cheese based type of pizza
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded – preferably Organic
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, preferably Organic
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Micro-greens
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Take the 2 Udi’s Crusts and place them on your baking sheet. Spread the refried black beans evenly over each crust. Then top each with the salsa. Then add the dairy or dairy-free cheese if using (this is a very optional ingredient for this recipe). Spread the chicken, corn, red onion, micro-greens, and garlic salt evenly over each pizza.
3. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for about 10 minutes until the pizzas are warmed through and the cheese, if using, is melted and beginning to bubble.
4. After removing from oven, place slices of fresh avocado evenly over the pizza and then squeeze the lime wedges evenly over the pizzas before serving. Enjoy.
You can truly top pizzas with anything. They are a great way to get a variety of vegetables into you and your family. Do you have any unique ideas for pizza toppings?
This post is linked to: