Nov
2010

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Coffee Bars with Cider Glaze

Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Bars

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Coffee Bars

With the cozy holiday weekends approaching upon us, I love to keep a batch of my Gluten-Free Cinnamon Coffee Bars on hand for the unexpected guests that seem to conveniently pop up at our house during this time of year.

I am not entirely sure what makes our home the weekend hang-out spot during the fall and winter months (or really, all year round), but I do suspect it has something to do with the fact that there is always food waiting for whoever shows up around here.  Yes. A lot of food.  And these Cinnamon Coffee Bars are often what is on hand to accompany a yummy cup of espresso from my awesome espresso machine (and incidentally, the best birthday present ever – thanks, honey).

Whatever the reason for our weekend visitors, I hope they never stop knocking on our door (or just walking right in).  Most of our family and friends understand  that once they cross over our threshold, they have free reign of my kitchen. Hungry? Thirsty? Bored? Just open the cupboards. Check the refrigerator. Scour the shelves. Just one rule: do not ask me for permission.

And, do you know what? I would not have it any other way.  This is how I grew up and I love that comfortable sense of relaxed companionship that it creates in my own home today. Comfortable conversation. Children running amuck. Toys flying everywhere. And yes. I would not have it any other way.

So, I encourage you to whip up some of these to have on hand if you, too, have that open-door policy that this house has.  OR.. if you do not fully embrace that policy, then just stash them away in a secret cupboard (the bars, not your visitors) and tell those pesky visitors that the kitchen is closed. Then go kick up your feet, open your newspaper, sip your coffee, eat a Cinnamon Coffee Bar with Cider Glaze, and enjoy your peaceful weekend.

And, yes, I just might have a few visitors that I hide these from too.

Cinnamon Coffee Bars with Cider Glaze

Gluten-Free, Nut-Free (Easily Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)

(Full Disclaimer here that these are not one of the more healthy goodies that I normally like to share with you.  But, I like to make exceptions and treat ourselves to these when the guests show up. Plus they freeze beautrifully, so one batch can last a few weekends)

Bar Ingredients:

2 Tbsp: organic butter, ROOM TEMPERATURE (For Dairy-Free version: use 2 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks OR Organic Palm Shortening)

1 Cup: brown sugar (or Organic Palm Sugar)

1: egg (For Egg-Free version: use 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce + 1 tsp baking powder)

1 Cup: coffee, hot

1 tsp: vanilla

1 1/2 Cups: gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I like Carol’s Amazing All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour-which does contain xanthan gum.  If using flour blend without xanthan you will need to add 1 tsp xanthan gum here)

1 tsp: baking soda

1 tsp: salt

2 tsp: cinnamon

1 Cup: raisins (I prefer golden raisins in these)

Glaze Ingredients:

3 oz: organic cream cheese, room temperature (For Dairy-Free version: use Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese Alternative)

2 Tbsp: organic butter, room temperature (For Dairy-Free version: use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)

3/4 cup: confectioner’s sugar, sifted

1 tsp: vanilla extract

1 tsp: cinnamon

1/2 cup: Apple Cider

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.

3.  Add in egg and then blend in hot coffee and vanilla.

4.  In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum (IF blend does NOT contain it), and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture and gently mix in raisins.

5.  Spread in a greased 7 x 11-inch baking pan with edges.

6.  Bake for 25 minutes or just until toothpick comes out clean from center.

7.  Glaze: Using electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until smooth.  Slowly add in apple cider until of spreading consistency.

8.  Spread glaze over warm bars.

And, just in case you missed my post about How to Avoid Baking Mishaps in the Gluten-Free and Allergy-Friendly Kitchen, make sure to check it out – you will find endless tips to help you become a master baker when dealing with ingredient substitutions!

Now…Do you keep an open-door invitation going at your house?

This post is linked to:

Monday Mania

My Meatless Mondays

Gluten Free Wednesdays

Real Food Wednesday

Simple Lives Thursday

1. On November 2, 2010 carrie @ gingerlemon said

These look SO GOOD!!! Yum!!! It’s funny about being the hang out spot! If neighbors stop by I never care what shape the house is in and I’d whip up something to eat in a heartbeat… if family or close friends happen to pop in, I seriously panic!! lolol… isn’t that funny!

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Carrie! That is pretty funny that you are more relaxed about the neighbors than your family and friends. I think I used to be like that too. But now with two boys running underfoot, I have learned to let a lot more go! LOL

2. On November 2, 2010 Elana said

Hi Kim,

I’m so glad that I met you at Blogher Food! Your site is lovely, and I’m totally impressed with your quest to take care of your family.

Hope to see you again soon.

Elana

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Elana! I am so so glad that I was finally able to meet you at BlogHer Food. You are absolutely awesome and loved being in your Recipe Writing session. Looking forward to the next gathering that we can all get together. We are in the midst of planning a gluten-free retreat in Oceanside CA (I have a beach place there) to just cook, talk, and relax. Will keep you posted on that one.

3. On November 3, 2010 April Harris said

What a gorgeous photograph, and your recipe sounds just scrumptious! It’s just perfect for fall entertaining!

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi April! Thanks so much! Yes, this is just a quick easy recipe to have on hand, especially because they freeze really well!

4. On November 3, 2010 Celiacs in the House said

Over here spying on your recipes for my Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger post. As someone who has benefited from your (and your mom’s) hospitality, I can attest to the ‘make yourself at home’ attitude and will always remember using your mom’s gorgeous stove(and kitchen) before anyone got up in the morning. This recipe may end up in my post along with your Pumpkin Ale Chili and maybe the Banana Cranberry Muffins. Okay. I am having trouble picking a recipe or two.
    Wendy

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hey Wendy! Oye! Now I am nervous about what you will make! LOL I am so so glad that you got to experience my Mom’s hospitality (even if she was not there). You have no idea how much she would have spoiled us had she been there. And, by the way, she was so touched by your sweet note that you left her.
      And Thanks again for adopting me!!!

5. On November 3, 2010 Squeaky Gourmet said

what a great weekend food to have on hand! I want to try this for my celiac daughter–she will love it!
    Found you on Real Food carnival!

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Squeaky Gourmet! This would be perfect for your Celiac daughter. Thanks for stopping over from the Real Food Carnival!
      I left a comment on that delicious looking granola of yours (but check your spam because that is where I always seem to end up lately) ;)

6. On November 3, 2010 Lexie said

Hey girl! My door is open to you anytime … as long as you’re toting a basket of these bars. Ha! I just may try these … lots of company this weekend. I am kind of stressed about feeding three additional guys. May be a taste of things to come. I just need some yummies to have on hand for big appetites. These would fit the bill.

Lexie

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Lexie! The same holds true for you-you can move in here and that would be just fine! Imagine all the yummy things we would be concocting all of the time! And the photos that we could come up with working together??? How cool would that be! LOL

7. On November 3, 2010 Maggie said

Kim! These sound divine. I will come to your house anytime if these are on the counter. I love the sounds of your open-door policy! Ours is always open too, except there’s a pretty big dog waiting inside the door. His bark is way worse than his bite though :)

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie! Yup! I would have these and so much more waiting for you if you showed up here. But we too have a big dog waiting at the door here (who, by the way, is doing so well still since his surgery ;) ). He doesn’t bark at ya but he will sure lick you to death!!
      We HAVE to get us all together to just bake, cook, bake, and eat, eat, eat!!

8. On November 3, 2010 InTolerantChef said

These sound so good! I love having visitors, but do check out my kids friends as we went through a rough patch with some nasties. When I confronted them they said they only came over for the good food, not the company! I do feel sorry for them as they roam the street at all hours and I was hoping to give them a comforting place to come to, but I couldn’t put my own kiddies at risk for them, it’s their safe haven first and foremost.

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Intolerant Chef! That is my worry as my kids get older – the type of friends that they will choose. It does make me so sad to know that there are kids who are not getting good meals at home. I am one of those who would feed everyone if I could (my mom always did the same), but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, especially when it may put your own kiddos at risk! ;)

9. On November 4, 2010 Alisa Cooks said

This so doesn’t surprise me about you! Such an open and giving person. I only wish I lived closer so I could be an unexpected guest that dropped in and had some of these bars!

• On November 4, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

I only wished you lived closer as well. But you know, any time that you are near AZ you have a bed and a tray of these babies waiting for you!
      By the way, just left a message on that amazing peanut butter hot chocolate recipe, but I am sure I am in your spam box!!

10. On November 7, 2010 Lexie said

Ms Kim … made these on Friday (ahead of time) for Sunday breakfast. VERY good. A real nice treat for company. It tasted a little like spice cake with the moistness of carrot cake … and a hint of coffee. Used honey in place of confectioners sugar for the icing and that worked just fine. I think I oops-ed because I baked in a 9″ round cake pan …. turned out like a coffee cake … but rose well, did not fall … it was GREAT. Cut the cake into wedges and froze individually.

Oh and pardon me. Mouth full, scarfing down the last two pieces before anyone sees!

• On November 7, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

LOL! Thank goodness, Lexie! Like you say, it always makes me nervous when I know someone is making one of my recipes. Hmm… how much honey did you use in place of the confectioner’s sugar?? I had been thinking of doing that as well last time I made these, but for some reason, I just didn’t. Maybe I should adapt the recipe to use honey instead(per your suggestion), since now I almost never use confectioner’s sugar for anything else really. Thanks for making them! ;)

11. On November 8, 2010 Lexie said

Kim, I just added honey to taste. Oh and I forgot to add that instead of raisins I used walnuts. Raisins do a number on M’s GI.

Lexie

12. On November 9, 2010 Chaya said

These sound heavenly. I am picturing ME sitting with my feet up, eating these with a cup of coffee and I am not sure which is more appealing, sitting down and relaxing of eating. I think this recipe win s.

13. On November 9, 2010 Chaya said

These sound heavenly. I am picturing ME sitting with my feet up, eating these with a cup of coffee and I am not sure which is more appealing, sitting down and relaxing of eating. I think this recipe wins.

Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays. IT is a fabulous addition to the linky.

14. On November 14, 2010 Chaya said

This sounds sooooo good. It is my kind of food. We are highlighting it at My Meatless Mondays, this evening. Come on over and take a peek. Thanks for linking such a good recipe with us.

• On November 14, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Chaya! THank you so much for highlighting it over at Meatless Mondays this week! I really appreciate it! ;)