Nov
2010

Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free

Gluten-Free Crustless Pumpkin Pie

I feel that it would be criminal not to share my recipe for my Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie.

This is a must on our Thanksgiving table. At least for the majority of our family. I do have one silly Uncle is who repelled by all things orange and squash related. So…he eats my Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel instead.

But the rest of us, love to delve into this one.

Dairy Free Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie:

Gluten-Free; Dairy-Free

(adapted from my mother)

Streusel Topping

• 2 Tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut or Palm Sugar (or more brown sugar)
  • ¼ cup certified gluten-free oats (pulsed once or twice in food processor to break up oats slightly) or Quinoa flakes if unable to tolerate GF Oats.
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon Organic butter, or Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick, or coconut oil (if using coconut oil, place in refrigerator to solidify)-cut into small pieces

Pie Mixture

• 1 can Organic Pumpkin Puree, or 2 cups fresh pureed Pumpkin
  • 12 ounces Full-fat Organic Coconut Milk (or evaporated milk, if not Dairy-free)
  • 3 eggs (For EGG-FREE: Mix together in small bowl: 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce with 1 1/2 tsp additional Baking Powder with 2 Tbsp Warm Water and with 1 1/2 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer – use mixture where you would add eggs)
  • ½ cup granulated sugar (OR 2/3 cup organic palm, or coconut, sugar)
  • ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease pie plate (10 x 1 1/2 inches) well, getting into the ridges.
  2. In small bowl, mix all Streusel Topping ingredients until crumbly; set aside.
  3. Place all Pumpkin Pie ingredients in blender or food processor in order listed. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into pie plate.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes until pie just begins to set up a little. Then sprinkle with evenly with Streusel Topping and return to oven for 30-35 minutes more.
  5. Once knife inserted in center comes out clean, cool about 20 minutes. Refrigerate about 3 – 4 hours or until chilled.

Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie

1. On November 4, 2010 Jeanine said

Oh wow, I’ve made a crustless pumpkin pie, but I think that streusel topping would make it fantastic! I’ll have to try that next time. :)

• On November 5, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Jeanine! Yup! The Streusel topping puts a whole new spin on this pie! It is the best part!

2. On November 5, 2010 InTolerantChef said

Is canned pumpkin the same as steamed pumpkin, or does it have less water content? I can’t get it anywhere in Australia.

• On November 5, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Intolerant Chef! You can just bake or steam a pumpkin and then puree it in a blender for the same result. Fresh pumpkin is yummy in this pie!

3. On November 5, 2010 glutenfreeforgood said

Kim,

I was intrigued with your “opinionated uncle antics” but wasn’t able to access the link (sniff, sniff). In the meantime, I love the idea of a streusel topping for pumpkin pie. I’m getting a lot of little sugar pie pumpkins in my CSA box right now, so this is perfect timing. Your photos (as always) are gorgeous and really convey a wonderful fall feeling. Beautiful stuff over here at Cook It Allergy Free!

I’m very curious about Uncle Norm though. And yes, we all have our own family version of that character, whoever he is. Do you ever feel like you’re in a Woody Allen movie? =)

Peace, love and pumpkin pie.
    Melissa

• On November 5, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Melissa! Not sure why the link did not work the first time, but it works now. I fixed it. Yes. You have to love those family characters. It absolutely makes me feel like we are in a Woody Allen Film! LOL!! Thanks for the sweet comments about my pics, my friend!

4. On November 5, 2010 FoodTripFriday said

Pumpkin Pie are one of the things that my family is looking forward for Thanksgiving!

• On November 5, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Food Trip Friday. Yes. Pumpkin Pie is one of my favorite parts, especially now that we have it back on our holiday table.

5. On November 5, 2010 Alisa Cooks said

I love the idea of this Kim! I’m really not a crust fan,but will take streusel anyday!

• On November 5, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Alisa, I am not a pie crust fan either! Just does not do a lot for me at all! That is why I love making dishes like this. Plus so so much less work! LOL

6. On November 5, 2010 April Harris said

Lovely photographs! The recipe sound delicious too! And I think everyone has an Uncle Norm…

• On November 7, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi April! THanks so much for the comment on the photos! And yes, you are totally right! Everyone has an uncle norm! ;) We love ours though!

7. On November 5, 2010 ☆♥Shydub♥☆ said

it looks so tempting and tasty.

Have some of my FTF yummies

8. On November 5, 2010 MommyLES said

wow. thanks for sharing the recipe :P

9. On November 6, 2010 Ann Kroeker said

Sounds delicious, and we have guests on Thanksgiving who are GF–thanks for this great recipe I can try out (and thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!).

• On November 7, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Ann! Hope you and your GF guests enjoy the recipe! It is such an easy one to whip up (since you do it all in the blender) that you almost feel like you are cheating. Thanks for hosting Food on Fridays and for letting me be a part of it!

10. On November 7, 2010 Bake A Crocodile said

Mmmmm this looks a-maz-ing! So trying the recipe this week- or as soon as I can find quinoa flakes (oats and I do not get along). Thanks a million for sharing!

• On November 7, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Bake a Crocodile!
      I have ordered my quinoa flakes online quite a few times (through Amazon, I believe) because for some reason they are hit or miss in the stores here. Hope you enjoy this one!

11. On November 8, 2010 Zoe said

Came here first, then headed over to Tia’s to read your guest post, commented, and now commenting here! I think we all have a little Uncle Norm in us, in one way or another. ;) The struesel pumpkin pie looks delicious, at any rate! I’ll have to try a struesel topping next time I make pumpkin pie, which I make crustless anyway just about all the time (until I find a satisfactory pie crust I like, besides the gf puff pastry one I made). Thanks, Kim!

• On November 9, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Zoe! Thanks for commenting both places. ;) I want to try that gf puff pastry crust of yours. I think that it sounds amazing!! But you are right in that crustless pies are just great anyway. Plus they are so so easy!

• On November 9, 2010 Zoe said

Thank you, Kim, though I must say that credit goes to Helene of Tartelette for creating the gluten-free puff pastry. It is amazing and so much better than any wheat crust my family’s had.

12. On November 9, 2010 Hazel Moon said

This crustless recipe appeals to me. I do my apples in a crust free too, with a topping similar to yours. This is a must try recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

• On November 11, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Hazel Moon! I will have to try out a crustless apple pie. That sounds amazing!! Thanks for stopping by! ;)

13. On November 11, 2010 Shirley @ gfe said

Kim, that is one spectacular pie! You out did yourself again, my dear! Glad to hear that the full-fat coconut milk can be subbed one for one for the evaporated milk. I will definitely try that this year. :-) Off to read about Uncle Norm and then I REALLY am going to bed. Thanks so much for adding this as a Thanksgiving Favorite for our Gluten-Free Holiday event!

14. On November 11, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, thank you!! And the great thing about the Coconut Milk is that it does not make it taste coco-nutty at all. But I have made it with the evaporated milk as well and I do not find too much of a flavor difference at all (except that the evaporated milk makes it a little sweeter). And it definitely is a one for one (as long as you are using the full-fat coconut milk). Hope you get some rest! Do not over-do it – you are one busy busy lady!!!

15. On November 12, 2010 Alta said

This is AWESOME, and your photos are gorgeous. I’ve made a crustless pumpkin pie, but Im a big fan of textures, and I bet this topping would be just the thing to make it really special.

• On November 14, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Alta! Thanks so much! Yes the texture difference in this pie just makes it. The topping is my favorite part! ;)

16. On November 16, 2010 KarenM said

Looks so yummy! Any suggestions on how to enjoy this pie egg free?

17. On November 18, 2011 shauna said

Any ideas to make this pie without the eggs?

• On November 18, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Shauna! I would suggest that you try this replacement: For EGG-FREE: Mix together in small bowl: 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce with 1 1/2 tsp additional Baking Powder with 2 Tbsp Warm Water and with 1 1/2 tsp Ener G Egg Replacer – use this mixture when you would add eggs.

18. On November 21, 2011 Jennifer said

So, would this be tasty without the struesel topping? I have a gf/cf son who loves pumpkin pie – except for the crust – and I don’t think he’d eat the streusel topping – he’s got quite a few texture issues. Incidentally, I have another son who will not eat anything orange – just like your uncle. That includes usual kid favorites squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Ironically, he loves green foods like spinach and broccoli (not usually kids’ favorites) – go figure.

• On November 27, 2011 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Jennifer, I am sorry I am just seeing this. I have been offline all week. This will still be good without the streusel. I have made it both ways before. I have a neighbor friend who has texture issues as well and will not eat a topping like this at all. ;) And you should be proud that your other son will eat wonderful green things! That is a huge accomplishment! ;)

19. On November 12, 2012 Hiromi said

Hi, not sure I can find pumpkin pie spice in London. If I can’t, can I just put in spices from a regular pumpkin pie? I love your cornbread stuffing recipe from two years ago. The first year I made both but that one was so popular with everyone that didn’t bother making the regular stuffing last year.

• On November 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Hiromi!! You can definitely use any combination of pumpkin pie spices for this. You can even just use cinnamon if you want or if you cannot find any of the other spices such as nutmeg, cardamom, all spice, cloves, etc. So happy you like the cornbread stuffing! That is the best news! :D
      Enjoy your time in the kitchen this season!

• On November 12, 2012 Hiromi said

Thanks so much Kim. I’m doing early thanksgiving on Saturday this year. I figure we can’t do i ton Thursday anyway so why not early? So have a 2 page shopping list that I started on today. Your recipes feature prominently.

• On November 12, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving celebration! Cannot wait to hear how it goes. Hoping you will report back, Hiromi! :)
          Have fun cooking away!

20. On November 19, 2013 Tricia T said

I have never been able to enjoy a good baked pumpkin pie with my egg allergy… I am excited to give this a try! Thanks for the recipe.

21. On November 25, 2013 Heather Mattingly said

I just discovered your website and am anxious to try your recipes. This time of the year is always so depressing for me as I went gluten free five years ago. I recently discovered that I am sensitive to egg, dairy, yeast, corn and several other things. I have been more depressed that ever knowing I can’t even cook my usual gf dishes. You have now given me hope! Thanks!

1. [...] PART 6: Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel (Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but ways to make this baby Dairy-free and Nut-free as well) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

2. [...] PART 6: Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel (Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but ways to make this baby Dairy-free and Nut-free as well) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

3. [...] PART 6: Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel (Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but ways to make this baby Dairy-free and Nut-free as well) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

4. [...] PART 6: Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel (Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but ways to make this baby Dairy-free and Nut-free as well) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

5. [...] PART 6: Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel (Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but ways to make this baby Dairy-free and Nut-free as well) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

6. [...] [...]

7. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie [...]

8. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie [...]

9. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie [...]

10. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie (also gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, and polished sugar-free) [...]

11. [...] Toffee Pecan Caramel Apple Streusel(Gluten-free and Egg-free already, but simple to make Dairy-free and Nut-free too) and Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie. [...]

12. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie from Cook IT Allergy Free [...]

13. [...] Crustless Pumpkin Streusel Pie from Cook IT Allergy Free ~ gluten free, with dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free, vegan options [...]

14. […] Use that 20% to treat yourself to something that you may only have during this time of year…like Mom’s special gluten-free Stuffing with that Secret Ingredient, or Grandma’s Creamed Corn (my personal favorite), or my Gluten-free and Dairy-free Salted Caramel Apple Pie, or Dad’s famous gluten-free and dairy-free Crustless Streusel Pumpkin Pie. […]