Aug
2010

On A Personal Note….

food allergy iphone app

Okay, so this post has absolutely NOTHING to do with gluten free, allergy free, Celiac Disease, my iPhone App or anything else that I regularly talk about here with you.  Every now and then I need a break from all things related to cooking allergy free because, well… it can consume your life, if you let it. So today I felt compelled to not think food allergies and instead share with you a special photo and a little bit of what our family is about.

And for the 99% of my wonderful blog readers that have never seen the room in my home that I am sharing with you today, this post may seem silly (and yes, possibly even bore you). But for the 1% of you who have, you will understand why the photo, that was taken by sheer accident, means so much!

Six plus years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest son, we travelled, for the last time as a childless couple, to Maui.  While there, my husband fell in love with a picture at one of the art galleries.  It was a perfect fit for what we were envisioning our son’s room to be.  The price….ridiculous.  The feeling it evoked….of course, priceless.

We could not get the picture out of our minds. We returned to the gallery and managed to steal some pictures of it and then shared them with a friend who is a mural painter.  The choice was made to instead transform Conner’s room into the picture.  Once again, the price….ridiculous.  Once again, the feeling it evoked…of course, priceless (this time to the nth degree).

Room For the Gluten Free boy

Room for the Gluten Free boy 2

This room stands for our love of the sea.  Although we are desert dwellers (calling Arizona our main residence), we have a cottage right on the beach in Oceanside, California. We spend as much of our time there as possible.  My boys call it home just as much as they do our house in this land-locked state of Arizona.  My husband would prefer to move there permanently (if I gave the okay).  He has a passion for surfing that is unrivaled by anyone I know personally and his skills on those waves still continue to amaze me, even after these last 17 years that I have watched him ride.  His heart belongs to the ocean and he starts to get slightly cranky when he has been away from those waves for too long.

When we had the mural done, Kurt asked our friend to include a picture of him holding the hand of his son, while staring out at the sea.  Everyone has commented on this part of the mural.  It has become the heart of the room.

So, when, my Mom and I were sitting up on the deck this July, watching my husband take his oldest son out for his first solo ride (albeit on a boogie board, not a surfboard), our cameras could not snap pictures fast enough as Father and Son were walking out hand-in-hand to greet those gentle waves.  My Mom is the one who actually got the shot, but it is the one that I never dreamed we would have gotten without a staged photo.

Allergy Free iPhone App

This was the perfect shot…..

Gluten Free iPhone App

And, of course, I cannot leave out the one who was pining over the fact that he could not be out there with them.  This child here will be out there the second we feel confident enough that he will not drown.  He is: Eager. Fearless. Full of Wonder. Not Afraid of what lies ahead. Oblivious to Danger.

Allergy Free Cookbook

Thank you for humoring me.  Now you know another little piece of me.  It felt good to focus on something other than work for a bit, although, I must admit that I am feeling a little sentimental since both of my kiddos headed off today to start the school year again!

I will be back on track tomorrow with more from the world of healthy eating, gluten- and allergy-free.  Until then, peruse my site for your fix of recipes, or visit my friends in my Blog Roll!

If you like what you see here and do not want to miss a post, don’t forget to subscribe to my feedor have my recipes delivered directly to your inbox (you can enter your email address at the top of the page).

1. On August 12, 2010 Emily said

Oh my gosh Kim, This is AWESOME! We have a similar picture of my Dad holding Dylan when he was about 3 while they look at the lake behind our house. Then before Dylan moved out to Seattle we got a picture of him and my dad standing together looking at the lake in the same spot in our backyard. Its so cool to see how our lives have changed, our backyard has changed, the pond has changed but its still, essensially the same picture because of the emotion behind it. I feel like you’re going to get more and more of these pictures of Kurt and Connor as he grows up. How fun will it be to have a collage of them? :)

Also, I haven’t seen it before (maybe because I haven’t seen you guys in a while) but in the picture of Kurt he looks SO much like Cookie. I couldn’t believe it! And I know that everyone thinks that Carson looks like me in all the baby pictures but I think this side shot of him looks kinda like Dylan. I love how our family all resembles each other! Yay similar genetics (except those pesky gluten and diabetes genes! UGH!)

Speaking of Gluten… I tried some regular funfetti cake on Tuesday because the last time I tried a piece of bread I had that lightheaded feeling I described in my post and I didn’t really notice many other feelings BUT this time the TINY piece of funfetti cake totally messed with me. I went salsa dancing a couple hours after I ate it and aside from a lingering head-ache which lasted through almost all of yesterday, my dancing was OFF. I was rushing or missing steps and I couldn’t get the new moves the guys where trying to show me. I was so mad at myself. haha But oh well! I know now!

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Em, I love that you have a similar shot of Dylan and your Dad. I bet it is fun to see since now, I imagine that Dylan is probably taller than Wes. hehe

I also agree that Carson looks like Dylan. I actually have thought that too, many times. And of course, everyone always says he looks a lot like Cookie and Dick as well. Some of our genes are not so bad…if only we could do a little bit of gene selection to eliminate the Celiac and Diabetes genes. LOL

Bummer about the fun-fetti event! At least you know that it probably would be wise to steer clear. My friend Shirley, from gfe-gluten free easily, shared this post (scroll down towards the end) with information from the latest Endocrine Society’s Annual meeting about how those with Type 1 Diabetes should get tested for Celiac Disease EVERY year. Very intersting!!

2. On August 12, 2010 SarahB said

What a beautiful post! When I saw the mural I teared up! What a special moment!

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Oh Sarah! Thank you so so much!! That really means a lot. I was not sure if people would think it was as special as I did, but felt like sharing anyway! ;0)

3. On August 12, 2010 Rick said

Good post. Although I thought it was funny that a food blog talked about living in the “dessert” (rather than “desert”).

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Rick! I just caught that too. Can you tell where my mind resides most of the time? ;0)

4. On August 12, 2010 nori said

LOVE LOVE LOVE this Kim! :)

5. On August 12, 2010 Jill said

This post gave me the chills. I love that your mom captured that photo. I still remember that night in Maui as we did a “drive by” to snap a quick photo. Can’t believe that was 6 years ago. Miss you guys!

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Jill, don’t you miss that trip? Feels like it was not that long ago. I still remember all of the details too! Ahh, the simple days! ;0) We need to get together and catch up. Been way too long! Miss you all!

6. On August 12, 2010 Heidi said

I LOVE it Kim! What a beautiful photograph, father and son, hand-n-hand, captured in time, forever. Talk about priceless!

I can especially appreciate it having met them both and seen the mural in person (it is a wonder to behold!). And little Carson, I know that look all too well. Luke would not have handled it half as well, he would have jumped off the deck and start to run (the no-fear thing must be part of the little brother “syndrome.” ;-)

Thanks for sharing part of you and your family, this post brought a big smile to my face.

Heidi

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

See, Heidi, you are in that 1% of my readers that has seen that room! I did not even think about the fact that we had gotten a shot that matched the one in his room until we went back after and looked. My mom and I were just having too much fun taking pictures of the two of them. And poor Carson, you should have seen his little lip quivering as they left without him. Too sad! And yes, that no-fear thing definitely has to do with being the little brother!

7. On August 12, 2010 Jenny said

Beautiful story and family!! Thank you for sharing it with all of us :)

8. On August 12, 2010 gluten free easily said

Just beautiful, Kim … the story, the photos, the mural. Hubby is a surfer, too, but small time. Surfing in NC during college is not nearly the same as surfing in CA year after year. He still has his longboard though. The doorman once carried it up to our room at The Carousel in Ocean City. LOL Quite the moment.

You have such a beautiful family! Thanks so much for sharing this post!

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

How funny, Shirley, about the bellman bringing up your hubby’s longboard at The Carousel! He must have really wanted his tip! hehe
      Thanks for the kind words about my family. Everyone that knows us knows how much we love being at the beach (well really, who doesn’t love it). Just thought I would let you all know that part of us as well! ;0)

9. On August 12, 2010 Maggie said

That’s such a sweet story – thank you for sharing it with us! I love seeing my blogging friends’ families. I feel like it takes them out of social media and a little closer to real life.
    Now, can I come and visit you at your cottage please!

• On August 12, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, I felt the same way when you posted that picture of Livvie the other day! I love knowing the “other”side of every one’s blogs!
      And you can come to our place any time. We always let friends use it when we are not there! It is awesome spot for the kids.
      By the way, this whole time I thought you were on my blogroll. I just fixed it, so now you are. ;0)

10. On August 13, 2010 Carol, Simply...Glut said

What a beautiful post and a beautiful family!

• On August 13, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much Carol. I don’t share photos of them very often, just was in the mood for something different!
      IFBC countdown is on. Cannot wait to see you! ;D

11. On August 13, 2010 Lexie said

You have such a nice site. I was just perusing some and stopped by. It’s so refreshing and happy : )

12. On August 14, 2010 Erin Elberson said

Awesome. Breathtaking. That is all :)

13. On August 17, 2010 Eileen said

I love the mural!! Love the pics! so cool….

14. On August 18, 2010 Shannon Behrend said

So special! I’ve seen the mural so many times but never knew the story behind it.

15. On August 22, 2010 Sharon said

Aw..thanks for sharing such a sweet story!
    So cool that your Mom captured that moment!
    Love the mural in room too! Love San Diego beaches ! ;)

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by LizzieSorensen PR and Kim, Kim. Kim said: Every now and then, I just need a break from all things #foodallergy #glutenfree & #iphoneapp -So: A story about us: http://bit.ly/9B9y0B [...]

2. [...] I think I have fish for children. They are as comfortable in the ocean (and the pool) as they are on land. They obviously take after their father. You may remember me mentioning his love of the ocean and surfing in this post. [...]

3. [...] are just growing up way too quickly. Just a couple of summers ago, I was writing about how Dad was taking our oldest out on his inaugural boogie-board ride, and how baby brother was so sad he was not yet big enough. And now look at [...]