Aug
2010

International Food Blogger Conference-2010!

International Food Blogger Conference

I am here. The International Food Blogger Conference. Otherwise known, amid the food-blogging world, as IFBC (throw a hashtag in front of it if you are Twitter-talking).

So, what is this conference I speak of?  I fully intended to give you that answer before I even boarded the plane to Seattle.  But life happens. So the post did not.

Let me give you a little run down.

This Conference is Co-hosted by Foodista.com and Zephyr Adventures.

It is centered around the evolving world of food-blogging, where , according to Foodista’s website, “leading bloggers, authors, editors, publishers, and technologists all in one conference focused on food, writing, technology, and the fusion of all three” come together.  There is an abundance of great wine and food (yes, I listed the wine first – I am here without children…or husband), all prepared from a group of top chefs.

The conference is being streamed live from Foodista, so I will not go into the details.  You can check the agenda for all that is in store.  And if you are on Twitter, there has been a live Twitter stream (with the #IFBC hashtag) that has been nothing short of comedic.  As the tweets get funnier, you can hear the ripple of laughter spread throughout the room.

So yes.  I am here.  And I did not imagine it would turn in to what it has.  I never thought that I would be amidst the likes of the very bloggers that I have looked up to for years.  But, alas, I sitting among them. This blogroll, to me, has the same reminiscence of a celebrity who’s-who list. You can obviously tell what world I live in.

I am in heaven. This has exceeded expectations.

A meet-up at the Flying Apron Bakery (am entirely Vegan and Gluten-Free bakery) was a wonderful chance to nosh on some of the allergen-safe baked goods while laughing it up with the gluten-free crew.

The Fying Apron Gluten Free Bakery

The Gluten-Free Meet Up At The Flying Apron Bakery

Then an evening reception at the Hotel Monaco lent to some wonderful food and alcohol from great sponsors such as POM Wonderful, Modernist CuisineRodney Strong, Jordan Winery, Theo Chocolate, Tonnino Tuna, and Wisconsin Cheese (along with so many others). And yes. I definitely enjoyed the POM Wonderful martinis.  Of course, on our way to bed, we had to take a quick peek into a late-night party at Seattle’s Purple Cafe, hosted by Urbanspoon.

The sessions have been held at the Theo Chocolate Factory, one of the main event sponsors.  There has been no lack of chocolate indulging. We have been treated to an endless array of their delectable organic, fair-trade, bean-to-bar chocolates. The most unusual flavor, to me, is the Spicy Chili.  The most addicting flavor is the Burnt Sugar confection.

There is something that I will be able to take away from each of the sessions.  I will not give the fine-tuned details of each, but I can assure you that I will be applying the techniques and tips discussed in each to my blog in different ways.  I hope it will only create a better experience for you, my wonderful readers.

The sessions included in the conference:

The Art of Recipe Writing
Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Building Traffic and Social Media
Food Writing with All Five Senses
Law & Ethics in Blogging
Pitch to Publish
Digital Food Photography

Food Blogger Conference IFBC

Gluten Free at IFBC

And then …. an event to behold.  Shauna and Danny Ahern, of the Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef, are hosting a lunch for our little group with dietary restrictions.  Each dish will come from their soon-to-be-released love-story of a cookbook, Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: A Love Story with 100 Tempting Recipes.  This meal deserves a post all of it’s own.  This meal deserves accolades that go beyond words. So that it will get.  Tomorrow…

And of course, the pièce de résistance.  Sur la Table, another Premier Sponsor of IFBC, created the most amazing goodie bags for all of the attendees this year.  I will not go on and on about the incredible swag.  But I will tell you that it was nothing short of amazing.  This collection of some of the most awesome kitchen gadgets actually deserves (and entirely needs) a suitcase of it’s own.  So mine is getting just that, in the way of a UPS shipping box.

1. On August 29, 2010 Jenn said

So jealous!! Have a great time at the rest of the conference, it looks like it is an amazing experience!

2. On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks, Jenn! Next year. You will be here! We will meet then. ;)

3. On August 29, 2010 Zoe @ Z's Cup of Tea said

Oh! I have been enjoying all your IFBC tweets so much! I’m not there, but I certainly feel as if I am. I look forward to reading more about this wonderful event soon from you and other gluten-free (and otherwise) attendees. :) Looks like such fun!

• On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Zoe, we have been talking about creating our own Gluten Free Food Blogging conference for next year. How fun would that be? I think we would all MAKE you come for that one! ;)
      Thanks so much for the kind words and for following along!

4. On August 29, 2010 Tia said

SIGH! :) That’s all I can say any more. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Oh, and let me know when you are coming to SFO again so we can meet.

Tia

• On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi TIa! Like I just said to Zoe, we are trying to plan a gluten-free food blogging conference for next year! You would HAVE to come to that! We missed you and Zoe not being here.
      And yes! I will certainly let you know when I am going to my Mom’s next. We will so have to get together!!!! ;)

5. On August 29, 2010 Maggie said

I’m envious too! You lucky girls you! Can’t wait to learn from all of you. Thanks for sharing your excitement. Have FUN!

• On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Maggie, you too, were sooo missed this weekend. Gluten-free food blogger conference NEXT YEAR! We are going to start our own. And you WILL be there!!! ;)
      We will meet yet, I assure you!
      Thanks for the kind words!

6. On August 29, 2010 Ricki said

I only found out about this conference four or five days ago, but I must say I’m already on the bandwagon for next year! I’ve been following both the twitterstream (you guys ARE hilarious) and some of the live streaming of sessions (the photography one was stellar) and am just loving it. I can’t imagine how exciting and fun it would be in person! And, like you, I think of the A-list of bloggers as true celebrities. So glad you’re enjoying yourself and eat some chocolate for me! Thanks for bringing a little IFBC into the rest of our lives. :D

• On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Ricki, was Penny’s photography session not wonderful?? She was so inspiring. At the end, the standing ovation was actually tear-jerking. Glad you were able to play along at home and enjoy! Even happier that you are already on the band-wagon for next year! And yes, I more than ate your helping of chocolate for you! ;)

• On August 31, 2010 Ricki said

Yes, I thought her presentation was great. Unfortunately, the Ustream screen was very dark so I couldn’t see HER at all, but the photos (oops, pictures) were lit beautifully! :)

• On August 31, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Ricki, that was the only presentation that they turned the lights out in the room for. But what really mattered was her awesome pictures and what she was saying! IT was very touching at the end when everyone stood up!

7. On August 29, 2010 Tia said

Yay! I’m so glad we are doing a gluten-free one next year. I know there was some talk about it a few months ago, but I thought maybe people forgot because they were caught up in their lives. It would pop into my head every once in a while. So exciting. I will definitely be there. And would love to help with any setting up. :)

Oh, and did you eat enough chocolate for me, too? Wouldn’t want my share to go to waste. ;)

Tia

• On August 29, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Tia, the extra five pounds that I put on this weekend surely says I ate enough chocolate for you too.
      And yes. Diane is going to put a google doc together about the conference!!! So we can all work together on it…. ;) Keep your eye out.

8. On August 30, 2010 Sophie said

Waw!! Too bad it is in the USA, so far far away!!

Have fun!!

• On August 30, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Sophie! Maybe there will be one in your neck of the woods soon! Thanks for the kind wishes!! ;)

9. On August 30, 2010 Cheryl said

Wish we could have been there, but we’re glad to see the celiac and gluten-free community was well represented!

• On August 31, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Cheryl, there was definitely quite a few of the Celiac and Gluten Free community represented. It was so nice to see how many of us were actually there. It was fun, during Shauna’s presentation, when she asked people to stand up if they were affected by certain food sensitivities (slowly listing each one to have people stand up). Before you knew it, almost the entire room was standing! It was awesome!! ;)

10. On August 30, 2010 Stephanie said

I have read about the amazing time that was had by all that attended the IFBC. I am so jealous!! It sounds like a great time to get together and learn. I love the idea of a Gluten-Free Conference! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience.

• On August 30, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Stephanie!
      Thanks for the kind words. It was an amazing conference! What would be even better would be to get all of us together who are so passionate about gluten free and allergen free blogging!! ;) Yay!

11. On August 30, 2010 carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com said

It was awesome to meet you Kim! This is a lovely post! I can’t even imagine what I’m going to say yet about the conference! I learned so much! I hope you had an absolutely fabulous birthday waiting for you when you got home!! :-) (((((((((hugs!)))))))))

• On August 30, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, Carrie! I had such a hard time keeping trying to explain the weekend that I just had to keep it simple. I started to feel too overwhelmed while trying to go into detail.
      What a great time it was. So glad we got to finally meet. Thank you so so much for the great birthday wishes. And I cannot wait to read your post about the weekend!
      And tell that sweet hubby of yours that he is such a trooper to put up with all of us women all weekend!! ;)
      kim

12. On August 30, 2010 gfreemom said

Sounds like an amazing experience. Have loved reading about it. Wish I’d been there. Super interested in attending the gluten free bloggers conference!!!

• On August 31, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Hey gfreemom! We will definitely have to do the gathering of the gluten free community. Imagine all of the wonderful food that we can bring together.
      By the way, I was just reading your story and your son’s. So touching! You are an amazing survivor! You are also such a wonderful advocate for your son!
      And a side note, I am an SF native – born and raised (just moved to AZ in the last ten years).

13. On August 31, 2010 Simply Gluten Free said

That was a great round up of a great time! It was a real pleasure to meet you in person and share such a wonderful expirience with you and the rest of the fun gfree gals. Can’t wait for the next opportunity we have to hang out.
    carol

• On August 31, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Carol, it was such a great chance to get to know you outside Twitterverse and emails! I had such a blast with you! You have just my kind of humor!
      And I am all in for a trip to SF sometime!! Count me in for that one!

14. On August 31, 2010 gluten free easily said

I love these mosaic photo collages, Kim–beautifully done! You and others are doing so well with your IFBC posts, I might just have to refer everyone to you guys and not even do a post. ;-) Seriously, I agree, it’s hard to do posts that do the event justice. Keeping it simple is the best approach. Otherwise, we might get into that lemon “trash talking.” LOL (Okay, being a bit snarky … must go to bed now.)

It will be more than wonderful if we figure out a gf blogger getaway. :-)

• On August 31, 2010 Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, thanks so much for my collage props. That part was more fun than writing up my reviews. It was just so hard for me to write these and sum up all that went on. I did not even know where to begin when talking about all of you, so I just did not even start for fear of not being able to express it in the right way!
      Lol, Ms Snarky! Maybe you should just link up to all of ours instead! hehe
      Now to plan our gf getaway with EVERYONE!!\

15. On September 1, 2010 glutenfreeforgood said

Kim,

It was SO nice to meet you in real time! Nothing like new friends, fine wine, great food and champagne to lighten things up. I’m slowly recovering as I’m not much of a drinker or heavy food eater (not to mention all the Theo chocolate I consumed). I had a blast though and am inspired to bring my blogging up a few notches. Must figure out all this SEO, linkage stuff.

Love this blog post of yours. It’s fun to see your gorgeous photos. Wow, cute one of you and your new best friend Morgan.

Peace, love and GF food!
    Melissa

1. [...] Kim at Cook IT Allergy Free – International Food Blogger Conference 2010 [...]

2. [...] previous post about the International Food Blogger Conference was a summary of all of the wonderful events that [...]

3. [...] Kim at Cook IT Allergy Free – International Food Blogger Conference 2010 [...]