Aug
2010

15 Tips on How To Heal The Leaky Gut

How to Heal A Leaky Gut

The damaged intestinal lining can wreak havoc on our entire body systems.

I know. My son suffered greatly until we took steps to heal his. This topic is important to me. I have seen dramatic changes in my own son’s health. I have seen a new child emerge as healing took place.  He became a child with energy. A child with a purpose. A child of health. So yes. This topic means a lot to me.

It is up to us to take our health into our own hands.  It is up to us to share this information with the people that we care about.  This is why I am sharing it with you. These steps below are crucial to healthy living. They are crucial to reversing the declining health of our nation.  They are crucial to giving our children a chance at health. They are also very basic.  So live them, share them,  and encourage others to do the same.

Guess what?  Did you know that this generation of children is the first generation in the history of the United States to live less healthful and shorter lives than their parents? You can read more about it in this article from Ground Report – News: Health and Science.   Something needs to change.  This is unacceptable. It is wrong in every way. This statistic should, in fact, be the reverse.

Okay, off of my rant and on to topic of what to do about it.

According to many allergy experts, having a ‘leaky gut’ – or increased intestinal permeability – is a common cause of the multiple food allergies and many autoimmune diseases.  Most of us have varying degrees of damage.  Small openings can develop in the lining of the intestine, which allow large molecules of undigested or incompletely digested foods to enter the bloodstream.  When the food is eaten again and again and passes into the bloodstream undigested, or only partially digested, the antibodies bind with the food and then travel through the bloodstream to any part of the body where they then cause problems.

Internal factors in a person’s body can cause, or contribute, to a leaky gut. These include nutritional deficiencies, inflammatory bowel disease, poor digestion, and food allergies. There is a vicious cycle involved with these internal factors since the leaky gut also causes them or contributes to their severity.

Dr Fasano and his team have researched the dynamic interaction between zonulin, which works like the gatekeeper of our body’s tissues, and the immune system. According to Dr. Fasano, “Our largest gateway is the intestine with its billions of cells. Zonulin opens the spaces between cells allowing some substances to pass through while keeping harmful bacteria and toxins out.”  He goes on further to explain, “I believe that zonulin plays a critical role in the modulation of our immune system. For some reason, the zonulin levels go out of whack, and that leads to autoimmune disease.”  Dr. Ron Hoggan and Scott Adams (founder of Celiac.com) also give an explanation about Celiac Disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, the leaky gut and autoimmune diseases in Cereal Killers: Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free A to Z (Chapter 2).

Some autoimmune diseases that are linked to intestinal permeability are:  Celiac disease, Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome, multiple sclerosis, migraines, attention deficit, autism, depression, eczema, acne, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, chronic fatigue, and of course, food allergies.

Correcting the altered permeability can have an immediate effect on relief of symptoms and a gradual improvement in the underlying condition.  We just cannot overlook the important connection between the health of the human body and the integrity of the gut wall.

Ultimately, healing the gut should be the primary focus of many autoimmune diseases today.  This will go a long way in reducing the inflammatory and immune processes involved in such diseases.  We need to ensure that we are treating the underlying cause and not just masking the symptoms!!

STEPS TOWARDS HEALING THE GUT:

1.  Re-establish internal ecology and healthy intestinal flora with anti-fungals and probiotics (I really like the Pro-Bio Gold probiotic from Kirkman Labs, and this Four Strain Bifidobacteria or this Six Strain Probiotic Blend from Custom Probiotics). Take steps to eliminate candida issues.

2. Eat fermented foods such as yogurt, Kefir (read my previous post all about the benefits of Kefir), Natto, naturally fermented vegetables, sourdough bread (Sharon from The Fresh Loaf , The Sourdough Companion and Dr. Jean Layton of Gluten Free Doctor Recipes all have amazing Gluten Free Sourdough Bread recipes –  although, as of this posting, I believe that Jean has yet not posted her actual recipe) , and Miso

3.  Address nutritional deficiencies focusing on increasing antioxidant intake. Some good choices are:  carotenoids, B complex. vitamin C, E, zinc, selenium, germanium, coenzyme Q10, bioflavinoids, especially quercetin, catechin, hesperidin, rutin and proanthocyanidins, pycnogonals, grape seed extract, pine bark extract, bilberry; herbs  (I have my family on quite the array of supplements only after determining some deficiencies through bloodwork). I cannot suggest enough to have your doctor test you for vitamin deficiencies prior to starting a vigorous supplement regimen.

4.  Change the diet to incorporate only natural and organic foods. Avoid Genetically Modified Foods (GMO’s).  Although it is not 100% assurance, buying organic as much as possible will help reduce exposures to them.

5.  Eliminate all processed foods, refined sugars, and refined white flours from the diet.

6.  Include quality soluble and insoluble fiber into the diet. Fiber ensures that bulk is formed in the colon and toxic wastes are absorbed and gently eliminated.  Fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes. and whole sprouted grains (preferably gluten free) are all good choices.

7.  Remove hard to digest proteins such as gluten and dairy from the diet. James Braley, M.D. and Ron Hoggan, M.A wrote the book Dangerous Grains, an excellent resource to discuss the negative health impact that gluten-containing grains can have on the body.

8.  Add in digestive enzymes to the diet to aid in proper food breakdown (this is what saved my son from a never-ending cycle of constipation, after trying everything else).  My favorite site for all information about digestive enzymes is EnzymeStuff.com.

9.  Enhance the mucosal lining of the stomach. Supplements such as: betain and pepsin, glutamic acid, stomach bitters, apple cider vinegar, Slippery Elm, Marshmallow Root, and amino acids – L-glutamine, and N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) are all very helpful.  One that our family takes that is excellent for supporting healthy gastrointestinal mucosa is Kirkman Labs Gastromune AI Support – Hypoallergenic.

10. Increase consumption of essential fatty acids such as: fish oils and GLA, Coconut Oil, milled flax, flax seed oil, chia seeds, evening primrose oil, borage oil, olive oil, fish oil, black current seed oil; soluble fiber – pysillium seed husks and powder, apple and citrus pectin, the rice derived gamma oryzanol

11. Avoid Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and antibiotics whenever possible. Both can contribute to intestinal permeability tremendously.

12. Try a Rotation DietFood-Allergy.org has an excellent “How-to” about Rotation diets.  This is especially helpful for those with multiple overt food allergies, because it is likely that you may also have slight, subclinical allergies to many other foods which you consider safe. Eating these foods on a rotated basis reduces your exposure to them and hopefully will help preserve your tolerance for them.

13. Increase Vitamin C intake.  Vitamin C is often considered as an anti-allergy vitamin.  It can help to stabilize mast cells that often trigger the release of histamine  and other allergy mediating chemicals.

14. Consider making your own bone broths. Homemade broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons–stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine.   The minerals in broth are easily absorbed by the body.  It supplies the amino acids that help the body detoxify.  The gelatin in it helps to coat the digestive tract.  It is so beneficial for joint health, asthma, cancer patients, immune system health, cold, flu, sore throat, digestive problems (such as inflammatory bowel disease), and so many other health conditions. It is also so easy to make.

15. Investigate alternatives such as homeopathy.

This only touches on the topic.  I could elaborate thoroughly about each of these tips and add so many more.

So, once again, these tips, although not brain science, are so crucial to our health. You do not have to do all of them all of the time. Pick the few that sound do-able. You can add more into your lifestyle as you feel comfortable.  Then…Live Them. Share Them. Encourage others to do the same.

1. On August 15, 2010 Erin Elberson said

Awesome, awesome post and tips, Kim. “Leaky gut” is appearing as a major player in the development of so many disorders and diseases now. It makes sense, looking from a physiological perspective, but it is so poorly addressed by mainstream medicine.
    These are tips that everyone could benefit from implementing.

2. On August 15, 2010 MaryMoh said

Thanks very much for sharing this article. It’s very informative and useful. I would love to share with some of my friends who are suffering from bowel problems. A diet change is always a good start.

• On August 15, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much Mary. Hopefully more people will share information like this. Small changes, a little at a time, can make a big difference. Then the other ones will come easily.

• On June 7, 2013 calee said

Thank you so much, Kim! I have been trying to find out what’s been wrong with my GI system for years. I’d seen a million doctors, specialists, etc. I finally got allergy tested yesterday, and upon trying to find solutions to my food allergies (um .. not going to stop eating most fruits and veggies because of allergies for the rest of my life).

Anyway, I think that these steps are very doable. I eat “clean” and “healthy” 95% of the time (I’m using quotes because everybody has different definitions for those words). But I still have issues. I’ve been working on eating intuitively, so I’m very against a diet (gaps or elimination) right now because that will lead me to binging on crap (that I normally wouldn’t eat anyway).

Pinned. And I’m starting to implement right now.

3. On August 15, 2010 Maggie said

Kim, this is amazing and so helpful. I think these tips apply to anyone with a recently diagnosed food allergy. And even others who have been diagnosed for a long time. I think this is what happened to Pete after a life of eating gluten. I’m trying to get him on probiotics regularly – he only takes it when I remind him! And we’re just getting into digestive enzymes. Thanks so much. I have a friend who is currently doing these steps with her son and it is not easy. So kudos to you and your boy for getting through it! This is a great resource. I will definitely pass it on.

• On August 15, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks Maggie. We did not do all of these steps all at once, but incorporated them slowly over time. The digestive enzymes (using a slow introduction method) were what gave us some of the best results! As well as the daily probiotics. I have become a master at mixing everything into applesauce or smoothies (although just recently both of my boys decided they wanted to start swallowing their vitamins – after all that icky tasting applesauce, who can blame them!). ;)

4. On August 15, 2010 Heidi said

Great post my friend! I do many of these things already, but I need to add a few more into our plan.

If it’s okay, I would like to add a quick mention about testing for vitamin/mineral deficiencies, especially in regards to iron.

This is so so important BEFORE one starts a supplement regimen. It was during a routine blood test that it was discovered I have an elevated iron count, which has only increased over the past year. Had I not known about it and continued taking my multivitamin with added iron, the results could have been deadly. Iron overload is very dangerous and I am waiting to see a specialist to determine if I have hereditary hemochromotosis or if the hemochromotosis is the result of something else.

One of those reasons could be cirrhosis, and primary bilary cirrhosis (the non-alcoholic version) can also be a complication of untreated celiac disease (I went 25-30 years undiagnosed). The good thing is that my liver tests were all in the normal range (phew), but I am still absorbing and storing too much iron, so not only do I need to avoid all supplemental iron, I need to reduce as much dietary iron as possible, plus I have to watch my Vitamin C intake, as it aids in the absorption of iron.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick mention of that because like celiac disease, Hereditary Hemochromotosis is often overlooked by physicians (but in fact, it is one of the most common genetic diseases in the world, just like celiac disease!). I can’t encourage everyone enough, check your iron levels annually (iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia are also common in celiac disease)!

For more information on hemochromotosis, the Mayo Clinic has a good article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hemochromatosis/DS00455/DSECTION=symptoms

Thanks Kim for allowing me to get on my box! :-D

Heidi

• On August 15, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Heidi, I just updated point #3 to emphasize this!! You are correct in that hemochromatosis can have potentially devastating results if not caught prior to a vitamin regime that included additional iron and even additional Vitamin C! Thank you for contributing some great information to this post!! ;)

• On August 15, 2010 Heidi said

Thanks Kim, I know you already knew all of this, but I used your post as a platform for my shout-out to iron and hemochromotosis, LOL! :0)

I have yet to write a post on this because I am still in my learning phase but iron is so tricky. I was just looking on a can of the Gluten Free Cafe Chicken Noodle Soup that I love so much and guess what? One serving has 25% DV of iron (so one can has 50%)!

Back to cooking soup from scratch when I am sick, darn!

I now (selfishly) wish they wouldn’t fortify foods with iron and leave that one for the multivitamins.

• On August 15, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Heidi, you can use my posts for your shout-outs anytime!
          Geez, who would have guessed how much iron was in a serving of soup? I miss my grandma’s home-made soup so much! Have never been able to match it. This is my year though, that I think I’ll do it (especially now that I am on a bone broth kick).
          By the way, going to send you an email about our project right now. Forgot to send it last week.

5. On August 15, 2010 kim said

The digestive enzymes you mentioned, what are they and where do you get them? my company has accomodation centres for children with Autism and we have a child who is 11 staying with us at the moment who has been constipated for many years, we have her on inner health dairy free for 1 week now and that has not helped, do you have any suggestions? we are also trying her on a gluten free dairy free diet as well.

• On August 16, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Kim, I will send you an email shortly with the information about some different companies that specialize in digestive enzymes for people with autism. They were what made the biggest difference in my own son’s issues. It was a daily battle for us, prior to starting these. I hope that by going gluten and dairy free, that the girl that is staying with you will be able to see some relief from her constipation. I will also send some links to the different companies that have reputable and quality products.

6. On August 15, 2010 .ambre. said

Wow! Great list! My family is currently on a (loose) GAPS protocol, transitioning back to more legalistic. My friend can’t put her family on GAPS right now so I forwarded her this post to hopefully give her some more ideas for other ways to rebuild! Thanks again for compiling this!

• On August 16, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, ambre. I appreciate you sharing this with your friend. I think that the GAPS protocol is fascinating. Have spent a lot of time researching it. I hope your family has seen some good results from it.

7. On August 16, 2010 gluten free easily said

Powerful post, Kim! When we see the benefits of making these changes in ourselves and our family members, especially our children, how can we not shout it from the mountain tops? I have a guest post coming up this week that directly relates to some of the info you have shared on autoimmune illnesses linked to intestinal permeability. We have to get the news out there because it’s rare to see a mainstream article (like the ones recently on the huge increase in allergies and celiac) discuss the topic. I even had a doctor tell me that he wasn’t sure leaky gut existed. :-( It definitely takes time to implement these strategies and ongoing efforts–it’s not a “fix it and forget about it” type of thing–but the resuls are SO worth it. And, when you compare this approach to the allopathic one of drugs with typically no healing and continued progression of symptoms, it’s clear which path makes the most sense. Thanks for all the links, too. Will check those out and share them and this post with my support group to start. :-)

Hugsss,

• On August 16, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Shirley, I cannot wait for your guest post! I will be waiting anxiously. I love reading everything I can get my hands on. I just started Dr. Ron Hoggan’s latest book Cereal Killers and am so excited to read all about his take on the relation of leaky gut and auto-immune diseases. And yes, hopefully people understand that this becomes a lifelong lifestyle. These steps are not something that you just do for a short while, and then go back to your old ways (although that it is so much easier said than done). That’s why it is so much easier to gradually implement some of the steps then build up until you are doing many of them. I could have gone into such detail for each one, siting sources and links, etc, but thought people would tune out after a while. LOL Tried to keep it to the main points, but this is a topic that I could speak on (from the physiological aspect of it all) for hours.
      Thanks so much for sharing it!
      xox

8. On August 16, 2010 glutenfreeforgood said

This is such an informative post (I type as I drink my goat kefir early this morning). Plus, these are just good basic food guidelines for anyone. Have you read Dr. Fasano’s research on zonulin and gut permeability?

By the way, I love the way you formatted this blog post. Very easy to read, easy to understand and I love the colors (pink and brown are favorites of mine). =)

Peace, love and tight junctions!
    Melissa

• On August 16, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Thanks so much, Melissa! I did read Dr. Fasano’s research on zonulin and gut permeability. It was absolutely fascinating. I should have linked to it in this post. Not sure why I did not think of it, considering I was so riveted by it. I may go back and do that via your reminder!

Thanks for the kind comments about the blog format, too. ;)

Love the “Tight Junctions”!

ps and Goat milk kefir is what we drink ALL of the time! Yum!

9. On August 16, 2010 Lexie said

Rockin’ post. This one I will print and keep on hand! Thanks Kim!

10. On August 16, 2010 Heidi said

Kim, got the email, I am over the moon about the image!

Shirley, I can’t wait to read your guest post! I have been really interested in increased intestinal permeability/leaky gut syndrome recently (and all the things that can cause it). I am very interested in chemotherapy (from watching my mom battle post-chemo brain fog), NSAIDS, alcohol use/abuse, and the chemicals in processed foods. Anyway…

Dr. Ron Hoggan has a GREAT explanation about celiac disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, leaky gut and autoimmune disease in Cereal Killers: Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free A to Z (Chapter 2). Reading it was my “lightbulb moment” when my non-medically trained mind finally understood the full scope of the issue and how this process works (I will try to paraphrase what Ron says in the book in a moment).

What is really unfortunate is that labs don’t do the anti-gliadin tests anymore (because they say it’s “non-specific”). Well, it may be true that those tests are non-specific for CELIAC DISEASE, but if a person has elevated anti-gliadin IgA and anti-gliadin IgG antibodies, it’s pretty clear what that means:

Gliadin (gluten) is in that person’s blood stream where it has no place being (think: normal human tissue being destroyed by gliadin in a petri dish [Does anyone have a link to that study?]).

So, the anti-gliadin tests can indicate a leaky gut and a positive anti-gliadin test DOES indicate that a person is mounting an immune response to gluten proteins in their blood stream.

Now, that may or may not lead to celiac disease, which by definition is a condition where the intestinal wall is damaged when a person eats gluten (but casein can also cause villous atrophy in and of itself).

Positive anti-gliadin (“anti-gluten”) antibodies can play a HUGE part in autoimmune disease by way of molecular mimicry.

Molecular mimicry is the process in which the antibodies not only attack the amino acid structure in food proteins (like gluten), but because our own human tissues can contain very similar or identical amino acid sequences as the offending food protein, the antibodies not only attack the toxic food proteins, but they can also attack our own tissues, resulting in autoimmune disease!

• On August 16, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Heidi, I just started Cereal Killers. I cannot wait to get to Chapter 2!! Just skimmed through it now! I will go ahead and mention via you about how informative of a resource it is.
      Last night, I had updated some info about Hemochromatosis in the post, via you as well. Not sure what happened, but I think I forgot to hit “update” before shutting down for the night. Was so bummed this morning when It was not there. Boo. I re-updated, but like what I said last night so much better. BOO!
      Thank you so much for sharing all of your info! You are doing such a great job of getting the facts out there! I love it!
      This is something I could have written for hours on. In fact, my original post was SO much longer with a lot of scientific data. I had my neighbor and Kurt over while i was working on it, and they both told me I should get rid of a bit of it so I didn’t scare anyone off! LOL Thus, I cut out a lot of the physiology of it

11. On August 16, 2010 Lexie said

Back again. So I JUST got a call from our pediatrician. We are in the genetics testing, swallow testing phase with our allergic soon-to-be 3 year old. Iron levels are at the very low low end of normal, so we have been told to put him on an iron supplement. We are down to allergies to dog and possible wheat (skin tested last week). Egg has been cleared to try, but told to hold off on dairy (which I agree). So we’ll see what iron does for him. He DOES get fatigued and spacey sometimes. Thanks Kim!

-Lexie

12. On August 16, 2010 Jessica said

Thanks for all of the great information in this post. I learned a lot!

13. On August 17, 2010 Nancy @ TSP said

Kim- great post! I have to get back into a more healthy regimen. I do many of the things you list but have fallen off the wagon on some of them. This was great information and good motivation to get back on track. Love it!

• On August 17, 2010 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Nancy, trust me, it is way too easy to “fall off the wagon”. hehe
      It is hard to keep up with all of them. But even if you are doing some of them you are doing great!
      Thanks so much, for the kind words.

14. On August 23, 2010 glutamine powder said

Using L Glutamine helps cancel the catabolic effects of cortisol, improves immune system, and prevents lactic acide buildup. It is definitely a great supplement to use when exercising.

15. On November 18, 2010 Kelly said

Thanks for sharing this information, I have just discovered I have been suffering from a Leaky Gut for years and suspect my children are too. I have managed to heal my leaky gut through supplements and diet but I still have annoying thrush and a severe B12 deficiency, my GP is useless, I am currently saving up to see a Holistic Nutritionist.
    My children have suffered with Lactose/Dairy allergies from day one and both had bad Reflux as babies, my son has extreme mood swings and frequent ear infections caused by access wax, both children have bowel issues. I already have them both on a multi-vitamin & pro-biotic and intend to introduce Omega 3 & 6 and an Echinacea supplement.
    I am currently using the biocare probiotic http://www.thewebchemist.co.uk/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=10060&submit_search=Search
    can anyone suggest another larger bottle as I give this to both my kids and it barely lasts a month?

• On November 12, 2012 Pam said

Hello Kelly
      I have used Biocare but now use BioKult which has 14 different strains. The best deal I have found is from dolphinfitness.co.uk .

16. On December 26, 2011 Rose said

I know you probably already know about this but wondered why it wasn’t on your list: SCD/GAPS diet ?? It’s more than Gluten in most cases, it’s all starches and sugars (flours–carbs). So many people with allergies and autoimmune diseases have been cured or put into remission due to doing one of these diets. (For those who never heard of it, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and the GAPS diet are basically the same thing).

17. On May 17, 2012 Karen said

Kim thank you for caring. This is encouraging and helpful information. Bless you.

18. On July 3, 2012 Nyomi said

Thank you for this great post; it’s interesting information about leaky gut, and very helpful. I’ve read that fermented foods can be better than probiotic capsules, as fermented foods are often cheaper and have more good bacteria. Thanks again. Please keep writing more great posts.

• On July 5, 2012 Kim-Cook It Allergy Free said

Hi Nyomi, you are definitely right. Fermented foods are actually a much better way to add beneficial bacteria back into your body than supplements. Some people do not really love the way fermented vegetables taste so for them the capsules are probably a better way to go. Thanks for the kind words! :)

19. On September 28, 2012 Naomi said

Hi,
    I have just found out I have nutrient deficiencies, bad digestion, sluggish liver, severe candida and leaky gut to top it all off!!! Before I found all this out I had intolerance testing done to find I was intolerant to so many foods, I cut most of them out (I am still avoiding gluten and dairy) but find it so hard to loose the sugar cravings (that will probably be the candida)
    To heal this would you recommend going back to the things I was intolerant to and cutting them out my diet? I was fairly strict last time but didn’t realise that I had all these things wrong with me so had the odd slip up!
    Thanks

20. On December 21, 2012 chubby said

i appreciate you posts but in Africa we heal stomach and intestinal ulcers with fermented unripe green plantains. you peel the back and slice the inner into little pieces to enable it ferment then soak it in water for 2-3 days. drink the creamy pulp with the water 3times daily. unripe plantain contains biflavanoids which is the active ingredient and when it is fermented, it will have friendly bacteria.. we have used it to cure peptic ulcers, duodenal ulcers, gastritis and ibs. which are worse than leaky gut syndrome.

21. On December 28, 2012 Tommy said

Hi, my name is T. I just wanted to write and say thank you for providing such terrific information to those who are actively looking to heal themselves through dietary modification. I was diagnosed with Crohns disease in Sept 2011. But I believe my gut issues stem from years ago when I had reocurring diarrhea and stomach aches. Unlike many with Crohns disease, I’ve been doing really well. I responded well to prednisone for a few months to get the worst of the inflammation down. When tapering, I followed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) for a few months. I found that eliminating grains + sugars did me very well! I have since gone gluten free, and have used natural suppositories to help, as well as supplements like L-Glutamine, herbal teas like (Licorice Root, Marshmallow Slippery Elm, Chamomile & Peppermint), L-Threonine, Aloe Vera Juice, InflaGuard and Zyflamend. I feel I can attribute my issues to a leaky gut, because many with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) simply need more than diet modification + supplements to help them along.

Again thanks for helping, I’ll try and spread the word. God bless,

T, 22, USA.

• On December 28, 2012 Tommy said

I must add, that eliminating sugar + grains is the hard part! Its taken me months to really get rid of my ‘desire’ to have grains, and i’m slowly decreasing my body’s want for sugar all of the time. :)

22. On January 1, 2013 Liz said

Great post thank you, I have suffered all my life with this debilitating disease, have intuitively down what is mentioned in your post however when I feel good / great include the foods again only to go on a roller coaster again, you see sometimes we can have the foods and get away with t for months and other times not.

I am 49 and now know why I have suffered a stomach that bloats to 9 months pregnant in a hour, feel lethargic and ache, moody, depressed at times and it has been a struggle at times to keep going, this year I have et a nutritionist who has enabled me to understand what is occurring and this information along with your post will ensure that my life from here on is static in a healthy manner

Chubby, I do not believe that you are aware of what you are saying when you say IBS is worse than Leaky gut, Heidi thank you for sharing your comments as I feel that I am poisoned at times and your comments help me understand why, interestingly this toxic “stock’ has made my body fascia “seize” at times resulting in severe pain to my neck, shoulders bcd etc debilitating,my massage therapist can also feel when this has happened as the dry needles that she puts into my body as relief during this period feel sticky, interesting.

The gut looks like it is the heart house of our entire system, mine appears to have gone off the rails early in life probably from too much wheat, a large family we had weetbix, bread all the time, and was followed by appendicitis and peritonitis at 15 and endometriosis at 19 with multiple surgery following, adhesions etc

So thankyou all for your information, at present I am healing my body again, and yes it craves chicken broth :-)

Liz Perth WA

23. On January 6, 2013 Leanne Roberts said

My Mom has been batttling with this syndrome which has eventually been diagnosed by a gastro-enterologist , for about a year and a half. Her nutritionist has put her on a diet of mung beans , and she is also allowed to eat Macadamia nut butter , almond milk and white fish but is too afraid to incase she has a blockage or diarea , or to have burning in the stomach . Her weigh has dropped down to 43 kg’s , and we are desperately afraid incase she loses any more. Doctors don’t seem to know what to do / how to help her any further. She also seems to be abnormally hot all the time.
    If you have any suggestions as to how to help her , would be greatly appreciated. She lives in Port Elizabeth , South Africa.

This is her email adress ( above )

Many thanks

24. On February 26, 2013 michael said

thanks for inf.and help

25. On March 3, 2013 Judi Millan said

I will be so grateful to receive your information.

26. On December 6, 2013 Kendall Hall said

I know it is different for everybody, but I was wondering how long it takes (on average) to heal leaky gut syndrome. I’ve heard 2 weeks, or 3 months, or 6 months or even a year or two. Also, how do you know when it is healed? Do you just test foods with gluten and dairy every so often to see whether you still get a reaction?

I learned I had leaky gut when I tried Lyn-Genet Recitas’ The Plan which is supposed to eliminate inflammation in the body by seeing what foods you are reactive to. When I started testing I was “reactive” to everything (even almonds and chickpeas which are supposed to be low reactive) which led me to the leaky gut diagnosis.

Now I don’t really know what to eat (especially since I am a vegetarian and can’t go paleo, which I know would be ideal). Do I just stay away from dairy, gluten, soy, corn, caffeine, etc indefinitely? Do I continue to get my protein from chickpeas and almonds even though they tested “reactive”? Any guidance on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Also, are eggs considered dairy in the context of an elimination diet?

Thanks!
    Kendall

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Z's Cup of Tea, Kim. Kim said: A new post about 15 Tips on How To Heal the Leaky Gut – These are something everyone should do!! http://bit.ly/dxtJuU [...]

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by glutenfreethatsme, Aunt Jayne. Aunt Jayne said: RT @ErinElberson: 15 Tips On How to Heal The Leaky Gut via @cookallergyfree http://bit.ly/an3oVi [...]

3. [...] from Cook It Allergy Free wrote a great post titled 15 Tips On How To Heal The Leaky Gut, I definitely recommend reading that [...]

4. [...] also just shared an extremely helpful post, 15 Tips on Healing the Leaky Gut. Celiac and gluten issues are leaky gut issues. Leaky gut is also known by its nicer sounding, but [...]

5. [...] shared tips on how to heal a leaky gut, something that is common in those with Celiac Disease or gluten [...]

6. [...] thought I could until our family went gluten-free and I became a mother on a mission. A mission to heal inflamed intestines. A mission to re-balance missing nutrients from the malabsorption caused by my son’s Celiac [...]

7. [...] 15 tips on How to Heal a Leaky Gut by Cook it Allergy Free [...]

8. [...] 15 tips on How to Heal a Leaky Gut by Cook it Allergy Free [...]

9. [...] I would tell anyone who is struggling with ANY health related to diseases to start doing the behavior modifications to heal the adrenals & support the GI tract though enzymes, probiotics, and diet changes to help heal their GI system. Here are 13 tips to Heal Leaky Gut [...]

10. [...] that are hard to understand, especially when you’re suffering from fibro fog and the like. This one is easily understood and provides links to even more [...]

11. [...] Focus on the health of your gut! With about 70% of the immune system residing in the gut, this is one area that you will WANT To focus on! SO…focus on this advice: Heal the Gut! [...]

12. […] 15 tips on How to Heal a Leaky Gut by Cook it Allergy Free […]