Trying to find things to do with the kids in the middle of an Arizona summer can be hard when it is an average 105 degrees outside. So, when we are not in the pool (or in Southern California at the beach), we are busy finding indoor projects to occupy our minds…so we don’t end up losing them…
So…when my kids were complaining that they were bored today and it was only ten o’clock in the morning, I decided to put them to work and adapt the Cherry Crumble recipe that I had planned on making the other day (before the neighborhood went dark) and found a good use for all of the blueberries and blackberries that were overflowing in the refrigerator.
This recipe honestly could not be easier. I am not kidding. Other than getting out all of the ingredients, I did nothing. My six and three year old made this entire dessert by themselves. I sat on the other side of the counter and simply gave some guidance about how much of this or how little of that.
I placed my blinders on as I saw the flour spilling over the edges of the bowls and the blueberries rolling onto the floor (and just be glad that this treat was kept amongst the family here, because my three year old made sure that every blueberry that fell made it’s way back into the bowl).
I know that there have been endless crumble, cobbler, and crisp recipes posted lately with the abundance of fresh berries and peaches that are in season right now. But my purpose of posting this recipe is to simply show you that when you are in a bind for a quick and easy summer recipe, you can just throw your kids in to the kitchen, put your feet up, and have them whip up some of these!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free
(Note: This is for 4 individual 6 oz ramekins. Just double this if you want to make more)
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Palm Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil – measure it in solid form to create your crumble top. See Note below**
- 1/2 cup Certified Gluten Free Rolled Oats (or equal amounts Quinoa Flakes if you are sensitive to Oats)
- 1/4 cup Almond flour (For NUT FREE version, omit Almond flour and add another 1/4 cup of your gluten free flour blend of choice)
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour blend
- 2 Tablespoons Chia seeds, or Flax meal (optional, but adds a little Omega 3 goodness)
- 1/2 cup Palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In small bowl, mix together berries, lemon juice, palm sugar, cinnamon, and 2 Tablespoons of gluten free flour. Divide evenly between your ramekins.
2. In another bowl add Coconut oil, Certified Gluten Free Oats, Almond flour, 1/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, Chia, Palm Sugar, and sea salt. Use a pastry blender (or a fork) to crumble/cream your ingredients together.
3. Divide topping evenly among each ramekin. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes (filling may bubble over-totally normal, so you can even line your baking sheet with a little foil for easy clean up, just in case). If you like a crispy top, you can turn the broiler on for 2-3 minutes at the very end, but watch VERY carefully if you do this so it does not burn!
**Note: Measurements for Coconut Oil should typically be measured in liquid form for the correct volume measurement in most recipes.
Do you let your kids join you in the kitchen? If so, what do they help you make?