Dang! Summer sure made a sneak attack on me.
My kids are officially on summer break. What? Yup. I know. Crazypants.
I really do love having the boys home for summer. And I really LOVE the un-structuredness of summer. No schedules. Sleeping in. Trips to the library to stock up on summer reading. Lots of pool time. And beach time. And lake time. And more pool time.
But, I’ll be honest…I have to try really hard to not think too much about some of my own work that is not getting done while the boys are home.
Like I said… I try. But, man, sometimes the anxiety of it hits me like a brick. Or one of those rogue footballs that can too-often be found flying through my house. Anyway. Like I said…I’m working on it.
Unfortunately, letting go of my to-do list is not one of my finer talents.
It can really stress me out. And make me no fun. And make my husband really really annoyed at me.
I promised myself that I’m going to be much better about that whole “letting-go” thing this summer. It is my main goal for the next couple of months. I guess you’ll have to ask my husband, come August, how well I really did.
With this lack of schedule in the summer though, I do tend to let go and get a bit lazy in the kitchen. I end up focusing on meals that are super quick, light, healthy, and easy to prepare … because, really, when it is 115 degrees here most of summer, spending too much time over a hot stove is sooo not appealing.
This Gluten-Free Barbecue Chicken Pizza definitely ends up being a regular guest around here. It uses leftover chicken, a few fresh veggies and herbs, and prepared pizza crusts. We don’t do a ton of grains around here though, so when I’m feeling ambitious I will often put together an easy Almond Flour Pizza Crust for this.
It all comes together pretty fast and then a quick 10-15 minutes in the oven and you end up with super simple, quick, and light meal, ready to go - and the oven is barely on long enough to heat up your house and kick on the AC…which is all my husband really cares about anyway.
I tend to serve this one most often with our favorite Pineapple and Bacon Arugula Salad.
It is a huge favorite around here and the kiddos usually devour the salad as fast as the pizza. I just throw it together in the time the pizza is baking and then dinner is done.
Gluten-Free Barbecue Chicken Pizzas
Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free; easily Dairy-Free
- 2 Allergy-Friendly Frozen Prepared Pizza Crusts, OR make Grain-Free version
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Allergy-Friendly Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup leftover shredded Chicken from a prepared Rotisserie Chicken
- ½ of a Red Onion, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup frozen Organic Corn
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (FOR DAIRY-FREE omit entirely-cheese not necessary here)
- 3 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Drizzle the pizza crusts with the olive oil, dividing the oil between the two crusts. Place both crusts in the oven, directly on the rack. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and spread barbecue sauce evenly over both crusts. Top with the shredded chicken, red onion, corn, and sea salt. Then spread cheese evenly over both. Bake for 5 more minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
4. Remove, top with chopped cilantro, and slice. Serve with Pineapple and Bacon Arugula salad or other salad of choice.
Are your kids out for summer yet?